Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did Anybody Know Network Had Been Turned into a 2017 London Stage Play Starring Bryan Cranston?

sewhite2000

Not converted into a musical, thank God, but as both stage and screen seem completely incapable of coming up with original ideas anymore, the 41-year-old movie was relaunched as a play last year with Bryan Cranston in the Peter Finch role. Wikipedia says the play is a "more interactive experience" than the movie, as the audience is drawn to participate in the presentation. Also, from the technology behind Cranston in this shot, it appears the story has been moved up to modern times.

1280px-NetworkNT191217-2_%2839366275011%29.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Not converted into a musical, thank God, but as both stage and screen seem completely incapable of coming up with original ideas anymore,

London plays at least have some sense of "innovation" that lead them to try and stage adapt outside-media properties that haven't been done before (and besides, TV is still important over there as it was over here in the 70's).

US musicals, OTOH, have priced themselves to the point that only corporations can produce them now--And all that corporate studios have any urge to produce anymore is their own marketing-franchise house-icon properties, imagining they're following Universal and Disney's leads.  For example, if Paramount does a Spongebob, Mean Girls, Holiday Inn or School of Rock musical, Harvey Weinstein produces a Finding Neverland musical, and Warner produces a Beetlejuice, A Christmas Story, Willy Wonka or Elf musical, it's not because of the rich musical storytelling possibilities.  It's because Disney did one.  (Warner at one point wanted to do a Batman musical, but you can guess which musical superhero thwipped those plans.)

And yeah, the movie sequel/reboots are made for pretty much the same reason.

Yes, I did as well.  And if I should win the lottery I'd love to purchase tickets to see it.  I think Cranston is superb and excels in almost any role or any genre. Plus I've always admired the works of Paddy  Chayefsky, a great wordsmith of realism and current culture.    

On 9/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, Zea said:

Yes, I did as well.  And if I should win the lottery I'd love to purchase tickets to see it.  I think Cranston is superb and excels in almost any role or any genre. Plus I've always admired the works of Paddy  Chayefsky, a great wordsmith of realism and current culture.    

Yeah, not too shabby for a Canoga Park California boy, huh!

(...and here they say there's nothing of great artist merit that ever comes out of The Golden State!) ;)

It was on at the National Theatre when I was in London, but it didn't appeal to me, so I didn't go. A couple of my friends didn't like it -- but I think they were in the minority. It got excellent reviews. Directed by the very trendy Ivo van Hove.

• 3 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings