Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NOIR NIGHT TONIGHT 9/7

Hibi

The Big Heat was fantastic.  I just saw it for the first time a few months ago and loved it.  Gloria Grahame was excellent and Glenn Ford was even good!  I don't know if anyone else aside from Grahame ever excelled in these semi-sleazy (or outright sleazy) female roles.  Even when Grahame's character is the absolute worst, you still feel sympathy toward her. 

I'm recording Too Late For Tears.  I'm not a big fan of Lizabeth Scott--I just don't see her appeal.  She seems like a poor man's Lauren Bacall. But the rest of the cast sounded interesting, so I'm giving it a go.

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The Big Heat was fantastic.  I just saw it for the first time a few months ago and loved it.  Gloria Grahame was excellent and Glenn Ford was even good!  I don't know if anyone else aside from Grahame ever excelled in these semi-sleazy (or outright sleazy) female roles.  Even when Grahame's character is the absolute worst, you still feel sympathy toward her. 

I'm recording Too Late For Tears.  I'm not a big fan of Lizabeth Scott--I just don't see her appeal.  She seems like a poor man's Lauren Bacall. But the rest of the cast sounded interesting, so I'm giving it a go.

Tears is good; though I had a hard time buying her character's going to the dark side so quickly. I'm not a big fan of hers either. (too stiff). But this is one of her better films and was presumed lost until Eddie restored it (well his group). It premiered on TCM a few years ago.....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...you know,

as good (and as apt) a title as THE BIG HEAT is for this story, VICE, DICE AND CORRUPTION has a real ring to it.

...maybe if they ever do a musical version.

It also sounds like a Hershell Gordon Lewis movie, but they'd probably change the title to "Vice, Dice and Slice"!

I look forward to a musical version of TBH, Lorna.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Can't wait to hear what you think of TLFT, speedracer. I'm a big fan of it and Scott as Jane Palmer gives new meaning to the term sociopath. The way she twists men like poor old Dan Duryea around her pinky is such fun to watch. I don't think Bacall could ever be as diabolical as Scott or as blood thirsty but be sure to tell us what you think after you watch your recording of it.

• Like 1

Lisabeth might not be the best but she is likeable to me and that can go a way. The "poor man's Lauren Bacall" is amusing. I guess I'll go out on the streets with hat in hand. Lauren seems drab to me. I certainly wouldn't like her just because she was married to Humphy. That may be her greatest asset :P.

Let's see, where's that "unpopular opinion" thread? And while I'm there I might say a word or two about Ann... but wait, this is the wrong thread for that.

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I've seen that. I wish TCM would show I Walk Alone which she did with Kirk and Burt. I don't think they've ever shown it. (Paramount again). I saw it years ago but don't remember much about it.

Iroinic; just finished watching the DVD I purchased of I Walk Alone.  DVD may be newish since it seems to be getting lot of hype in DVD catalogs.  A good movie and worth watching.

But, I actually like Lisabeth Scott.  I think part of her portrayals are a combination of fact she is not an in your face actress like some others, the screenplay and the direction.  Not saying that actresses shouldn't be in your face and some are very good at it.  But Scott just seems more reserved even when she is diabolical and manipulative.  She can go either way and you don't see it coming.

Too Late for Tears is not bad and worth watching if you have never seen it.  I found the plot a little too busy or difficult to swallow.  Didn't have a problem with Scott going quickly from good to  bad.  After all, basis of most Noir is that money can make you bad.

Dead Reckoning is another good movie.  Personally I think Scott does better in it than Bogart.  When I think of watching it, I do it for Scott not Bogart.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

I agree with you, Laffite about Bacall.

But who is this "Ann" you've want to diss?

I'm waiting...with bated breath.

I will find the unpopular opinion thread and do it there, if I can get up the courage. You have at least revealed that one can disparage The Great Bacall and still breathe. Thank you for that. I got no thanks when I mentioned the other some time ago. One of our most knowledgeable and prominent members here disagreed with me (as no doubt the rest of the world does too.).

But I'll give a hint: wisecracking.

:D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

I will find the unpopular opinion thread and do it there, if I can get up the courage. You have at least revealed that one can disparage The Great Bacall and still breathe. Thank you for that. I got no thanks when I mentioned the other some time ago. One of our most knowledgeable and prominent members here disagreed with me (as no doubt the rest of the world does too.).

I have a theory about BACALL...

She is PHENOMENAL in TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT (which is not great), but then I think she choked at THE PRESSURES OF FAME (and being Mrs. Bogie), she then gives a bad performance in CONFIDENTIAL AGENT, rebounds with THE BIG SLEEP and then sleepwalks through her next several parts.

i think it took her a long time to adjust to her SUDDEN RISE, remember she was 18 in THAHN.

besides TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, i think her two strongest performances are in MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (SHE is the lynchpin of that character parade) and THE SHOOTIST, where she gives a really tender performance for maybe (?) the only time on screen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I've seen that. I wish TCM would show I Walk Alone which she did with Kirk and Burt. I don't think they've ever shown it. (Paramount again). I saw it years ago but don't remember much about it.

I think that they showed "I Walk Alone" back when Burt Lancaster was SOTM, but I could be wrong on that. I guess Movie Collector would be the final word on that.

EDIT: Yep, his database showed that it aired in 2011. I don't know if Burt was SOTM back then though.

18 hours ago, laffite said:

Hmmm...Ann Sothern?

Just a guess, or maybe Ann Sheridan, the Oomph Girl who has too much oomph for you possibly?

This mystery is better than the Anonymous one. Don't worry about Bacall and making the lovers of Bogie and Baby disdain you. They are possibly just awed by Bacall's looks in early films and should listen to the dialogue exchanges and imagine they are coming from someone who looks like Judy Canova and they will see the light. I do like her later in her career though, as she matured.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Hmmm...Ann Sothern?

Just a guess, or maybe Ann Sheridan, the Oomph Girl who has too much oomph for you possibly?

This mystery is better than the Anonymous one. Don't worry about Bacall and making the lovers of Bogie and Baby disdain you. They are possibly just awed by Bacall's looks in early films and should listen to the dialogue exchanges and imagine they are coming from someone who looks like Judy Canova and they will see the light. I do like her later in her career though, as she matured.

As a lover of Bogie and Baby,   it is clear to me that Bacall's early acting abilities were limited.   Yea,  limited.   That's the term I'm using.    

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As a lover of Bogie and Baby,   it is clear to me that Bacall's early acting abilities were limited.   Yea,  limited.   That the term I'm using.    

I like Bacall. But your take is true.

We can forgive some failings if other abilities are redeeming I feel, and Bacall did have those other qualities to be sure. Thanks, James!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings