Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Importance of Avoirdupois

CaveGirl

Yes, I think in films girth is often a very valuable commodity and being rotund can be useful in character development. Actors with a bit more adipose tissue can hold their own in scenes, much more than a body shaped like that of Don Knotts.

There is one obvious starting point in coming to praise men [or women] of the XX-size in films, but I am going to forego the usual choice and say mine is...Thomas Gomez! Now in some films certain camera angles are used to intensify the largesse of the acting individual, but Gomez needs none of these shenanigans to make an impression on screen and to stand his ground and seem larger than life, with both voice and presence.

I would probably watch any movie if I see his name in the early credits, since he is always viable, interesting and sometimes even a bit scary. But this attention to bringing a real personality to his parts, never is missing in his performances, at least to me. Though he's been in over 100 movies I think, and has some very important credits like in Polonsky's "Key Largo" my favorite of his parts is that of Leo Morse, as the brother of Joe Morse, as played by Garfield in "Force of Evil". He is menacing, and threatening but also shows the other side to his relationship with his brother, and perhaps this is one of his best showings due also to the fact that the movie itself is so well done. The ending still gets me, and the dialogue is sine qua non as to being literate and moving. So...I'll go with Thomas as my choice for Big Man on the Film Campus but who is your favorite larger than life choice, male or female for the Actor with Avoirdupois to Spare, who makes a giant impression on screen?

P.S. James Mason from the film "Larger Than Life" will not be accepted as a choice sadly, since his oversized ego was caused by outside pharmaceutical compounds like cortisone.

There's two and in different categories. For most consistently menacing SYDNEY GREENSTREET is my quintessential nominee. Even when he played comedic and/or low-key roles (as in "CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT" & "CASABLANCA"), there was still a creepy skepticism he just might revert to type.

Playing strictly comedic roles and my nominee for personally the most irritating is S.Z "Cuddles" SAKALL. I could never take his cheek-slapping "gnah-gnah-gnah" too-cutsey characters.

Oddly enough the only time when I could marginally not be annoyed by him was in the very two movies listed above for Sydney Greenstreet in which they both appeared!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Zea said:

There's two and in different categories. For most consistently menacing SYDNEY GREENSTREET is my quintessential nominee. Even when he played comedic and/or low-key roles (as in "CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT" & "CASABLANCA"), there was still a creepy skepticism he just might revert to type.

Playing strictly comedic roles and my nominee for personally the most irritating is S.Z "Cuddles" SAKALL. I could never take his cheek-slapping "gnah-gnah-gnah" too-cutsey characters.

Oddly enough the only time when I could marginally not be annoyed by him was in the very two movies listed above for Sydney Greenstreet in which they both appeared!

Sakall was good in CIC, and Greenstreet showed his comedic abilities too. Great movie and always a perennial seasonal favorite.

I like your choices and I just wish once, that Cuddles would have played an earthy villain, who would kill over perhaps missing out on some Lemon Meringue Pie or other tasty victual. Wouldn't that have been great to see, Zea? Imagine S.Z. pulling some heat out of his portly vest area, and pistol whipping someone like Elisha Cook Junior for getting the last piece of Yorkshire pudding at the diner or some such gastronomic sin?

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think you meant BIGGER THAN LIFE (1956). Yes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger_Than_Life

I did, I did, I did!!

You are an excellent proofreader, corrector of egregious mistakes and friend, TB! Thanks so much for your intervention. I'd blame bad liquor but it really is just an addled mind with too many movies in it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

I did, I did, I did!!

You are an excellent proofreader, corrector of egregious mistakes and friend, TB! Thanks so much for your intervention. I'd blame bad liquor but it really is just an addled mind with too many movies in it.

You weren't too far off the mark. :) 

I would have lost though in "Trivial Pursuit: The Silver Screen Edition", TB.

Speaking of movie mistakes, I remember once we were playing Trivial Pursuit, and the movie question was "Who addressed the U.N. while wearing a gun?" and my friend, Ann said "Uh, maybe John Wayne?"

I always thought that mistake was funny. I think it was really someone like Yasser Afafat.

Just now, CaveGirl said:

Speaking of movie mistakes, I remember once we were playing Trivial Pursuit, and the movie question was "Who addressed the U.N. while wearing a gun?" and my friend, Ann said "Uh, maybe John Wayne?"

I always thought that mistake was funny. I think it was really someone like Yasser Afafat.

I wonder if poverty row classics or B films were addressed in the Silver Screen edition of Trivial Pursuit. 

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I wonder if poverty row classics or B films were addressed in the Silver Screen edition of Trivial Pursuit. 

I played that game only once and I don't really think so as I recall.

It really concentrated on more famous films, though it did get into directors and incidents within films that were good trivia. Now for the group here, they would have to invent a super-duper dark state trivia master edition, as no one here could be stumped on hardly anything with all the ultra knowledgeable folks here like you and so many others, TB.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, CaveGirl said:

I like your choices and I just wish once, that Cuddles would have played an earthy villain, who would kill over perhaps missing out on some Lemon Meringue Pie or other tasty victual. Wouldn't that have been great to see, Zea? Imagine S.Z. pulling some heat out of his portly vest area, and pistol whipping someone like Elisha Cook Junior for getting the last piece of Yorkshire pudding at the diner or some such gastronomic sin?

If not physically appearing as a menace, how about his projected 'essence' as a vehicle for terror? IOW: Imagine a psychological thriller (a la Mel Brooks' "HIGH ANXIETY") about someone being slowly driven insane by Zakall's signature affectation secretly broadcast throughout their house in a constant loop of:

"Gnah, gnah, gnah! Ganh, gnah, ghah! Gnah, g..................."

hqdefault.jpg.52bf3581eb2a9279dce057df9cab2ccb.jpg

• Haha 1

Personally, I like a man with a bit of girth on him.  In previous centuries, that body type was considered virile.  In one firm I worked at, there were 19th Century prints on the office walls as decor, and many of them were portraits depicting statesmen, jurists, and merchants, and all of those men had a lot of expanse under the vest.

I've always found Edward Arnold to be an attractive man on screen, with an air of authority and manliness, although I don't think he was ever quite as corpulent as the figures discussed so far here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2018 at 2:55 PM, CaveGirl said:

Here's the New York Times story the day after the address. No proof of a gun, apparently.

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/11/14/archives/dramatic-session-plo-head-says-he-bears-olive-branch-and-guerrilla.html

• Thanks 1

Well, I think OLIVER HARDY, JOHN CANDY, ANDY DEVINE, EDWARD ARNOLD, EUGENE PALLETTE and all the others mentioned would be just as entertaining regardless of whether or not their weight was measured in pounds OR kilos.  ;)

It's good to see however, that SOMEbody pays attention to The Reader's Digest's "Increase Your Wordpower" feature.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 10:10 PM, darrylfxanax said:

Shirley Stoler in The Honeymoon Killers (1970) comes to mind.  Shocking and realistic, it tells the story of Martha Beck (Stoler) and Ray Fernandez (Tony Lo Bianco), who together swindled, and sometimes murdered, unsuspecting women who met Ray via a "lonely hearts club" scenario.  

shirley.jpg

On 9/10/2018 at 10:10 PM, darrylfxanax said:

Shirley Stoler in The Honeymoon Killers (1970) comes to mind.  Shocking and realistic, it tells the story of Martha Beck (Stoler) and Ray Fernandez (Tony Lo Bianco), who together swindled, and sometimes murdered, unsuspecting women who met Ray via a "lonely hearts club" scenario.  

shirley.jpg

One of my favorite movies of all time, Mr. Zanuck!

Tony Lo Bianco makes hairpieces look good and Shirley is tops. I always remember seeing the clip of Truman Capote on a talk show mentioning how he knew Martha Beck as he was growing up. Great story and love the music on the soundtrack. Thanks!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings