Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Hallow's Eve Film Fare

CaveGirl

When the ghosts and goblins come out to play, as the Celts thought during their festival of Samhain, there was probably no need for overkill to try to make people even more frightened than they already were, viewing cauldrons and such.

But in our time, the need for scaring up some emotions is more desired. Most live a rather civilized existence, without worrying that their abode will be invaded by spirits from a crypt who are out for diabolical dealings. Hence, the horror novel began and evolved into the horror film, which makes its place in shocking the senses and waking up feelings that should occasionally be unearthed, that are not as tangential to our world.

Unfortunately though, my search for the film that will finally scare me has gone on way too long. Never scared as a child by any horror film I ever saw, due perhaps to seeing all the famous horror films in existence, since my parents did not believe in censoring such things, the search goes on. Always in the back of my mind was the knowledge that a film is not real life and that these people are acting. Only perhaps a film purporting to be real life footage, like "The Blair Witch Project" could have been impressive, but it was obvious from the beginning that this claim was bogus. Now if I did find hidden footage in a cabinet somewhere like that in the film "The 4th Man" or was privy to things filmed by someone like the serial killer, Harvey Glatman I might finally be frightened, but the normal panoply of horror films produced by Hollywood and beyond, just leave me cold.

I enjoy their efforts, I give an "A" to inserted images as in "The Exorcist" but still am unmoved. Nevertheless hope springs eternal so I ask that any here who have horror films they believe are beyond the pale, please submit them if they would make good material for my annual Halloween fest. Frankly, I found the cheapie, B-film, "The Strangler of the Swamp" more frightening with the images of Charles Middleton a lot more scary than most famous horror flicks. I do find things like "Black Christmas", "The City of the Dead","I Vampiri" and "The Night of the Eagle" to have their moments but they still don't really give me goose bumps.

Please submit the most unearthly and spine tingling nominees for Halloween's best, with my gratitude for any really obscure but spooky offerings.

I have an annual pile of rotations: "Young Frankenstein", for ex., gets swapped out with "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein", on alternate years.

Also, I'm still waiting for "Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon" to be released on Blu-ray, so that can take its place as Halloween tradition.

But in addition to Charlie Brown, Ray Bradbury provides my two holiday anchors every year:
Disney's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (1983), swapped out alternately with Hanna Barbera's 1993 animated "The Halloween Tree" (available on Warner Archive):

19 hours ago, EricJ said:

Also, I'm still waiting for "Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon" to be released on Blu-ray, so that can take its place as Halloween tradition.

Eric, Night of the Demon is getting a deluxe Blu-ray release in the UK, but it will be region free.  In addition to being packed with extras, this edition will have four different presentations of the movie: a 96-minute pre-release version, the 82-minute UK theatrical cut, the 82-minute US theatrical cut, and the 96-minute US re-issue version.  I seriously doubt anything this comprehensive will be released in the States.

CaveGirl, my favorite Halloween viewings tend to be Universal classics (especially Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein), Hammer films, or Mario Bava (Black Sunday and Black Sabbath in particular).  None of these are particularly scary, but they have atmosphere in spades.

There are three films in my life that I can honestly say truly frightened me, although none of them are horror movies, at least not in any conventional sense.  They are Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire (both directed by David Lynch) and Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut.  The mood, ambiguity, and dreamlike/nightmare quality of these movies really unsettled me and stayed with me for days afterward.  In the case of EWS, the secret society/illuminati aspect just unnerved me to no end (it helps that the very idea of cults scares the hell out of me in real life).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Feego said:

Eric, Night of the Demon is getting a deluxe Blu-ray release in the UK, but it will be region free.  In addition to being packed with extras, this edition will have four different presentations of the movie: a 96-minute pre-release version, the 82-minute UK theatrical cut, the 82-minute US theatrical cut, and the 96-minute US re-issue version.  I seriously doubt anything this comprehensive will be released in the States.

I purchased an NTSC copy of the film (DVD but not Blu-ray) a several years ago. It has the 82-minute American version and a 95-minute UK  version. The "special features" include "digitally remastered audio and anamorphic video; remastered in high definition; widescreen presentation; in English, with with English, French, Japanese subtititles; bonus trailers; interactive menus; scene selections."

The new edition you mention certainly has tons of extras. But this link to Amazon.co.uk does not indicate Region Free on the main entry (it does say Region Free on the 2013 Blu-ray edition). I have a UK DVD, but not Blu-Ray, so I would need to get a Region Free edition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Demon-Limited-Blu-Blu-ray/dp/B07G24T8F4

On 9/8/2018 at 2:37 PM, CaveGirl said:

Frankly, I found the cheapie, B-film, "The Strangler of the Swamp" more frightening with the images of Charles Middleton a lot more scary than most famous horror flicks. 

If you like that film, try Fährmann Maria, which is the original version, by the same director. It used to be on youtube, but I think it's been taken down. Very creepy and well worth a look.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings