Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM now showing 70s, 80s, and 90s movies

Actually, TCM has been showing 70s and 80s films since the very beginning in 1994. Rich and Famous (1981) and Fat City (1972) aired within the first two weeks of the channel's founding. I am not certain as to when 90s films started being shown on TCM, but I would throw out a guess and probably say the first 90s film aired in either the late90s or early 00s.

• Thanks 1

Wow.  When I saw this thread title, I thought: "Here we go again" thinking it was going to be negative.

What a pleasant surprise when I started reading it.  I'm glad people realize that time doesn't stand-still and that "new" films become classics with every passing year. 

I would say that the 40s-60s are probably my favorite time for filmmaking.  I really like the cheesy 60s comedies, but I also like the more risque sex comedies of the late 60s.  As for which films from the 70s-90s that I'm glad they're showing... I'd have to say that I'm glad they're showing the 70s dramas like Network.  I like that the 70s movies have a sleazy, gritty aesthetic.  While I'm not a fan of horror or science fiction for the most part, I do like the 70s sci-fi/horror movies like The Stepford Wives.  I also like the horror movies like Burnt Offerings, Carrie, and Halloween.  I also love the roller disco movies like Roller Boogie.  I'm hoping that TCM will show Skatetown USA sometime. 

Regarding the 80s movies, I always love teen movies and the bad horror movies like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street.  I do not think the bad horror movies have shown on TCM, but one of the teen movies that showed a few years ago was Little Darlings.  While it was not as risque as I was expecting, it was still entertaining. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Wow.  When I saw this thread title, I thought: "Here we go again" thinking it was going to be negative.

What a pleasant surprise when I started reading it.  I'm glad people realize that time doesn't stand-still and that "new" films become classics with every passing year. 

I would say that the 40s-60s are probably my favorite time for filmmaking.  I really like the cheesy 60s comedies, but I also like the more risque sex comedies of the late 60s.  As for which films from the 70s-90s that I'm glad they're showing... I'd have to say that I'm glad they're showing the 70s dramas like Network.  I like that the 70s movies have a sleazy, gritty aesthetic.  While I'm not a fan of horror or science fiction for the most part, I do like the 70s sci-fi/horror movies like The Stepford Wives.  I also like the horror movies like Burnt Offerings, Carrie, and Halloween.  I also love the roller disco movies like Roller Boogie.  I'm hoping that TCM will show Skatetown USA sometime. 

Regarding the 80s movies, I always love teen movies and the bad horror movies like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street.  I do not think the bad horror movies have shown on TCM, but one of the teen movies that showed a few years ago was Little Darlings.  While it was not as risque as I was expecting, it was still entertaining. 

Ha ha ha, I sat and stared at this thread title for five minutes before clicking on it. I thought I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for, and I was trying to work up the mental energy to go through it again! I, too, was pleasantly surprised!

(BTW, I watched Little Darlings on HBO when I was in about sixth grade, and much to the disappointment of my adolescent self, it DEFINITELY wasn't as risque as I was expecting!)

• Like 1

Here are some of the movies from 1970-on that have aired on TCM and how many times each has aired. Just the ones whose titles start in number format!

10 (Orion, 1979) 2
10 Rillington Place (Columbia, 1971) 7
1776 (Columbia, 1972) 18
1941 (Universal, 1979) 5
200 Motels (United Artists, 1971) 1
2010: Odyssey II (MGM, 1984) 31
40 Carats (Columbia, 1973) 6
The 5th Musketeer (Columbia, 1979) 3
84 Charing Cross Road (Columbia, 1987) 3

• Like 1

Yeah, I too, at first thought what you guys did.  Makes no difference to me WHEN the movies TCM shows were made, just that they're worth my time and effort to bother watching.  But then....

I won't know that UNTIL I sit down and bother watching, will I?  Unless of course, I've already seen it before.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The one thing I don't like from the past are risque sex comedies of the late or mid 60s, because many times their sole purpose for being was shock value, and fifty years later they do nothing of the sort.  I mentioned this before in another post, but because they try so hard to be "mod", to be "with it", they actually date themselves terribly and look every bit of their fifty plus years of age. I have a large appreciation for every other decade. You didn't mention the 30s, but I love films particularly from the precode era of that decade. They really give me a feel for what the Depression was like for people in that era. The 80s has some gems in it - "Reds", "Raging Bull", "Amadeus", "Paris, Texas", and one of my all time favorites "Princess Bride". However some of the biggest money makers of that era - I'm looking at you "Top Gun" - just look ridiculous today.  And they want to do a remake??? The 90s are a gold mine of good films - I am NOT looking at you "Independence Day". Yes, there are good films in all decades, they are just a little harder to find lately because nobody wants to take a chance anymore with an original idea.

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm hoping that TCM will show Skatetown USA sometime. 

If you've always wanted to see a young and angry-looking Patrick Swayze on skates, this is the film for you. Try not to fall asleep during Dave Mason's endless musical numbers.

• Like 2

I'm open to any film that TCM shows, regardless of the year it was made.  There are different elements that attract me to a film--plot, cast, acclaim, infamy, etc. While I may not watch the film the first time it airs, by the time it rolls around again, I may have discovered a new actor, heard about the film, etc. that gives me a reason now to watch it.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings