Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
marcar

Grammer question pls

Just a quick grammar question:

Is the plural of film noir--films noir (like sisters-in-law) or film noirs (like most plurals just add an "s" to the end)?

My take is the first--films noir. When you Google it you get both. But even the Film Noir Foundation and other "experts" have used "film noirs" in their writing or have avoided the choice altogether by phrases such as "films that are noir" or just plain "noirs".

What do you know about this? What do you use? And can you source your choice so we know if it's a verified use or just your own personal one?

Thanks in advance. Don't know why but stuff like this bugs me and when I write reviews I really like to be right, ya know?

Film noir is a French phrase, coined by film critics over there that noticed a theme in American postwar movies.  If you are French and in France, my guess is that you would dit: "films noirs."  The adjective in French takes the number of the noun.  If you are an American, and here, then my opinion is--rather what I say is: film noirs, as the phrase here has become Americanized.

According to the dictionary, films noir and film noirs are both correct.

I always thought that noir was one of those words where the plural and singular were the same.  I guess that shows what I know.  Lol. 

On 9/9/2018 at 11:35 PM, scsu1975 said:

I have a spelling question ... on second thought, never mind.

You mean about how to spell "grammer"?

Maybe we should ask grammer or grand-dad!