Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

November 2018 schedule is up

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

At this rate, I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see it. How long has TCM been around? Almost 25 years. And somehow Brando has never been saluted as a Star of the Month.  

I guess they figure making him a Summer Under the Stars honoree is enough. 

18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I guess they figure making him a Summer Under the Stars honoree is enough. 

Or maybe they believe the two-part Brando documentary they produced 11 years ago was enough. 

I should check out how many of the American Film Institute's 1999 list of Top 25 actors and Top 25 actresses have been honored by TCM. I  suppose James Dean hasn't for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Well, at least its not someone who's been SOTM 2 or 3 times.........

45 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I like her. But to me she's not a star. But at least she hasnt been a SOTM 3 times, so I'm ok with it.......

Well, she was a star-- but she was more of a second-tier star. Maybe choosing her will open the door to other character actors and actresses becoming Star of the Month.

• Like 1

Good stuff:

Alexander Nevsky ****

October ***

Something New ***

Eskimo ***

The Profound Desires of the Gods ***

Broadway Danny Rose ***

Men Don't Leave ***

Secrets & Lies ***1/2

Paper Lion ***

River's Edge ***

A Soldier's Story ***1/2

• Like 1
16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Panic in the Streets.  This is one of the Fox Noir that I keep checking out from the library and keep having to return it before I'm able to watch it. 

Sniper.  The Noir Alley feature sounds interesting.  I didn't know that Adolphe Menjou ever appeared in a noir.

Both films are must-see. Especially THE SNIPER.

Screen shot 2018-03-02 at 6.23.16 AM.png

I always get a kick out of Million Dollar Legs (shown the morning of 11/8), which is really very funny, although dated.  It has a lot of contemporary references (1932) which may not mean much to viewers today.  There's a bit of slapstick, but there is also a lot of sly humor, some of which may be missed because it's sort of understated, kind of like the mumbled asides of Popeye the Sailor.

And of course it has the wonderful Lyda Roberti, as the "woman no man can resist," complete with atrocious Swedish accent, Garbo being all the rage then.  The movie also features the beautiful Susan Fleming, who had a long and happy marriage to Harpo Marx.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

ICYMI: Film counts by decade of films airing on @tcm in November 2018 #TCMParty

DqNRlDgWsAAURHI.jpg

There's a higher percentage of films from the 30s because Glenda Farrell is Star of the Month and the bulk of her output was in that particular decade.

These lists would be helpful if they were also done by studio.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

There's a higher percentage of films from the 30s because Glenda Farrell is Star of the Month and the bulk of her output was in that particular decade.

These lists would be helpful if they were also done by studio.

That's someone else's count, not mine.  I haven't set up a normal report to count each month like that.

I did find it could differ quite a bit, depending on when it is taken.  If it is taken about a month beforehand or sooner, then it will mostly just be counting actual movies.  If it is taken just before or during said month, then it will also be counting trivial shorts, which will throw it off.

I previously tried counting a few months worth on my end the way he is doing, just to see how it compared.  My numbers were different, a bit smaller.  It varied in different ways for each month.

P.S. "By studio" would make the task significantly larger, as there would be an additional column or two for each major studio you want to track, and not to mention that minor studios which wouldn't even get counted (unless you group them together as stragglers)

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That's someone else's count, not mine.  I haven't set up a normal report to count each month like that.

I did find it could differ quite a bit, depending on when it is taken.  If it is taken about a month beforehand or sooner, then it will mostly just be counting actual movies.  If it is taken just before or during said month, then it will also be counting trivial shorts, which will throw it off.

I previously tried counting a few months worth on my end the way he is doing, just to see how it compared.  My numbers were different, a bit smaller.  It varied in different ways for each month.

P.S. "By studio" would make the task significantly larger, as there would be an additional column or two for each major studio you want to track, and not to mention that minor studios which wouldn't even get counted (unless you group them together as stragglers)

Well, there would have to be a category for foreign films, and maybe a category for independent producers (Disney, Goldwyn, Roach, Rank); but the major and minor studios (poverty row studios) should all be represented. The occasional TV movie could be 'other.' I would not include documentaries, specials or shorts because they are really a whole different entity. Just keep the tally by studio focused on feature-length fictional films, including both sound films and silent films.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, TopBilled said:

Well, there would have to be a category for foreign films, and maybe a category for independent producers (Disney, Goldwyn, Roach, Rank); but the major and minor studios (poverty row studios) should all be represented. The occasional TV movie could be 'other.' I would not include documentaries, specials or shorts because they are really a whole different entity. Just keep the tally by studio focused on feature-length fictional films, including both sound films and silent films.

Still sounds like a bunch of work, and a bloated result at the end.