Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy 25th Birthday to The X-Files

Hoganman1

Back in September of 1993 we were introduced to Dana Scully and Fox Muldar for the first time. I've been hooked ever since. This week BBC America is having a marathon and the re-runs appear on SyFy from time to time. Obviously, this TV show isn't classic and certainly isn't film noir, but I think it does deserve recognition for Chris Carter's creativity and the longevity of the series. I realize not everyone on this site will agree. I think someday X-Files will achieve the same status as The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits for all science fiction fans.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

Don't leave in a huff! I've started many a thread that my fellow members chose to completely ignore. Always hurts my feelings, but I try to rebound and go on. I haven't watched a lot of X-Files. I saw the first movie in the theater even though I'd never watched more than 15 minutes of any TV episode, so I can't say I truly understood everything going on, but I enjoyed it so much, I went back and saw it again a couple of weeks later. I too will salute the show's influence on what was to follow, and it certainly deserves credit for its longevity and multiple revivals.

6 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Well, I guess I misjudged this site. I get it. There probably aren't a lot of X-Files fans on here. My apologies for getting "off topic". 

I'm an X-Files fan. At one point in my life, I would have named it as my favorite TV series of all time, although my love for it has been tempered by repeat viewings, the very uneven newer seasons, and just general changing tastes. 

It's the TV series that I can truthfully say that I've watched every episode of at least 3 or more times. One of the first uses I ever had for the internet was going online circa 1998 or so to find out what the episode titles were, since they weren't named in the actual episode. That was also the first online fandom community that I ever read, and I enjoyed the commentary other viewers had. It wouldn't seem like anything special to people nowadays, and I shudder to think how primitive it must have looked. A lot of red type on black backgrounds is all I remember.

The show mainstreamed a lot of stuff that's taken for granted now, particularly the alien "mythology" episodes. There were just as many "standalone" episodes dealing with every imaginable facet of the paranormal, too, and many of them rank among my favorite episodes. A lot of the groundbreaking nature of the show also wouldn't come across to modern audiences who grew with shows that imitated the X-Files style of camerawork, lighting, and editing, all of which were highly cinematic for the time. 

One of my favorite writers for "The X-Files" was Vince Gilligan. As a matter of fact, his often-humorous installments of the series are what made me tune in to "Breaking Bad" from the beginning.

Among his memorable episodes: "Pusher" (Season 3), "Small Potatoes" (Season 4), "Unusual Suspects" (Season 5, a Lone Gunmen-centric story), "Bad Blood" (Season 5), "Folie à Deux" (Season 5) and "Drive" (Season 6).

"Folie à Deux," in which Mulder is haunted by monstrous images only he can see, produced my all-time favorite line from the series: 

Mulder: "Scully, you have to believe me. Nobody else on this whole damn planet does or ever will. You're my one in five billion."

12 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Well, I guess I misjudged this site. I get it. There probably aren't a lot of X-Files fans on here. My apologies for getting "off topic". 

Well, you DO gotta give a thread MORE than a few hours to catch on.  ;)

If you want INSTANT gratification, there's always BEER.  ;)

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Don't leave in a huff! I've started many a thread that my fellow members chose to completely ignore. Always hurts my feelings, but I try to rebound and go on. I haven't watched a lot of X-Files. I saw the first movie in the theater even though I'd never watched more than 15 minutes of any TV episode, so I can't say I truly understood everything going on, but I enjoyed it so much, I went back and saw it again a couple of weeks later. I too will salute the show's influence on what was to follow, and it certainly deserves credit for its longevity and multiple revivals.

I'm not really in "a huff", but thanks for your response. I understand that this is primarily a classic movie forum and not many posters are going to be interested in a fairly current science fiction TV show. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, Hoganman1 said:

Back in September of 1993 we were introduced to Dana Scully and Fox Muldar for the first time. I've been hooked ever since. This week BBC America is having a marathon and the re-runs appear on SyFy from time to time. Obviously, this TV show isn't classic and certainly isn't film noir, but I think it does deserve recognition for Chris Carter's creativity and the longevity of the series. I realize not everyone on this site will agree. I think someday X-Files will achieve the same status as The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits for all science fiction fans.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

What a superior television show! Always well written, tackling serious subjects but when a spoof was needed they would do one which was highly amusing and tongue in cheek. Probably will go down in years to come as a classic that was not totally appreciated on it initial release. I watched six straight episodes on BBC America one day recently.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings