Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Be There or Be Square


CaveGirl
 Share

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

 

LOL

I think I still prefer Huey Lewis' version instead, HF. ;)

(...and btw, re Robert Benchley, CG...sorry, but while I know you're a fan of his, I never found his sadsack shtick in those old shorts of his all that funny...I guess it's that I always found the pacing of his setups rather slow and almost tedious, and then the payoffs to those setups a little too flat and obvious)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Fedya said:

Laird Cregar was there in Hangover Square.

And Lana Turner was in The Big Cube, which is just a square in three dimensions.

Laird Cregar is like the thinking woman's Mario Lanza, who doesn't care to hear "Be My Love" sung at top volume daily.

I've seen "The Big Cube". Once was enough...thanks!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

I think I still prefer Huey Lewis' version instead, HF. ;)

(...and btw, re Robert Benchley, CG...sorry, but while I know you're a fan of his, I never found his sadsack shtick in those old shorts of his all that funny...I guess it's that I always found the pacing of his setups rather slow and almost tedious, and then the payoffs to those setups a little too flat and obvious)

What the heck, Dargo???

Benchley, a sadsack and slow and tedious in his pacing and payoffs flat and obvious?

This is sacrilege and a travesty! The wrath of the Algonquin Round Table on your head. I am laying down the gauntlet now. I suppose you also didn't think it was funny when after Dorothy Parker tried to slit her wrists for the umpteenth time, Robert visited her in the hospital and said "Dorothy, you really need to stop doing this or you might hurt yourself."

I mean this is black humor at its best, and gallows talk but I really thought you would be more kind. Of course with you being just a young whipper snapper, and I being born during the elegant days of the early 1900's mayhaps you are just not attuned to a more leisurely and slow paced, sophisticated comedic approach like that of Benchley. The fact that Robert and I dated during the 1920's when I was a flapper, possibly also gives me more insights into how his being slow paced could be a good thing in certain circumstances.

I have to leave now as I need some smelling salts to recover from the insult to Robert's memory, Dargo. I've lost the will to live, but hope to recover soon. Hopefully you will not tell me that you prefer the Ritz Brothers' shtick to Benchley? I do support your freedom of speech rights though so carry on...

 


 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I like Benchley in Foreign Correspondent.  He's also good in Rafter Romance.

Don't get me wrong here. Besides some of Benchley's funny and often wistful-themed absurdist printed humor that I've read over the years, I also usually enjoy seeing him in some of the full length feature films he appeared in, and such as in Foreign Correspondent

It's just that I've seldom found those shorts he did at MGM ever being real "knee-slappers", that's all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Don't get me wrong here. Besides some of Benchley's funny and often wistful-themed absurdist printed humor that I've read over the years, I also usually enjoy seeing him in some of the full length feature films he appeared in, and such as in Foreign Correspondent

It's just that I've seldom found those shorts he did at MGM ever being real "knee-slappers", that's all.

Well, I don't think Benchley's shorts are intended to be knee slappers.

For me, they bring a smile to my face more times than not.

I still say, though, that the Joe McDoakes Behind the Meatball comedies are the funniest comedy shorts series I've seen.

1255743451_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well, I don't think Benchley's shorts are intended to be knee slappers.

For me, they bring a smile to my face more times than not.

I still say, though, that the Joe McDoakes Behind the Meatball comedies are the funniest comedy shorts series I've seen.

1255743451_1.jpg

Hmmm...although I'm pretty sure I HAVE seen ones subtitled "Behind the 8-ball", I'm not sure if I've ever seen any of those shorts, Tom?!

So, did those have either a Swedish or Italian theme to 'em at all???

LOL

(...sorry, just couldn't resist) ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...although I'm pretty sure I HAVE seen ones subtitled "Behind the 8-ball", I'm not sure if I've ever seen any of those shorts, Tom?!

So, did those have either a Swedish or Italian theme to 'em at all???

LOL

(...sorry, just couldn't resist) ;)

 

Okay, my mistake. But Joe really was a bit of a meatball in those shorts, wasn't he?

Actually, Dargo, I know you like the Looney Tunes and one of my favourites is Behind The Meatball, with a meat crazy dog who will go to any lengths to get that red protein product in his mouth.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I suppose you also didn't think it was funny when after Dorothy Parker tried to slit her wrists for the umpteenth time, Robert visited her in the hospital and said "Dorothy, you really need to stop doing this or you might hurt yourself."

I agree with Dargo. The shorts don't thrill me at all.

What he should have said to Dorothy: "Dorothy, you really need to stop doing this or you might not be able to drink anymore."

:lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...