Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film Watching Preparation List

CaveGirl

Do you have a set regime for watching a film?

If so, what is it and does it suffice for all films no matter what the content?

I see films like people who are guests in my home and treat them all differently. Some people like a casual atmosphere, and you can serve them anything edible and they will enjoy it. You don't have to dress up to greet them and they are laid back and you need little preparation to make for an enjoyable evening. 

Then there are visitors for which you might go out a bit, and buy their favorite libation, and make sure the couch has some down pillows on it for them to lounge on, which will make them more voluble which can be highly entertaining.

I plan my film viewing on these same principles. For something like "Some Like It Hot" there is no preparation needed, except to be in the mood to laugh though one could stock one's bar with some old time hooch and turn up the sound so as not to miss any of Joe E. Brown's lines.

On the other hand, for a film like "The Saragossa Manuscript" by Wojciech Has I had to make sure all was right with the world and my home before even attempting to watch it again. Remembering that the storyline was extremely convoluted, I waited till it was after 6pm to view, so it would be over before 10pm and Morpheus might enter the dwelling. I also made sure to have subdued lighting, decided that I should fast for the day before watching as the film does seem to have more of a hallucinogenic effect if one is in starvation mode. I only allowed a glass of the most rare elixir that would complement the film images, and I turned my phone off. Nothing is worse than having a robot calling you during this dreamlike story within a story within a story. I eased myself down on the chaise lounge and proceeded to start the film. Thankfully whoever worked on its reintroduction into the world with Scorsese did a magnificent job of making the subtitles highly visible and in bright yellow, which was laudatory.

Now I might have a whole different atmosphere needed to watch something like "Carnival of Souls" as I would for an Alec Guinness film fest or something with Ernest Torrence menacing folks. Each film deserves its own milieu of surrounding artifices that make the film more able to be appreciated. What standards do you apply when you watch a film or do you treat all films the same, whether it be "Greed" or "Dude, Where's My Car?"?

Well, to really get into the mood for it, I once got all dressed up in Antebellum South attire just to watch Gone With The Wind, CG.

But try as I might, that corset just wasn't going to make my waist 18 inches ever again!

(...and so I decided to dress as Rhett Butler instead)

• Haha 4

I'm a pretty regular guy and don't do anything different, I'm sure, from most others in preparation for watching a particular film.

I like to wear a black cape and put a pair of wax fangs in my mouth whenever I watch a horror film, of course, and if a Sophia Loren comes on TV I usually put on a bra.

Just the usual normal stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

So what would you do to prepare to watch the six hour Russian film "Miss Mend"???

Hmmm...bathroom breaks need to be planned out beforehand obviously, so I would need to know the dvd chapter headings.

Can I get back to you on this, Calvin?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, to really get into the mood for it, I once got all dressed up in Antebellum South attire just to watch Gone With The Wind, CG.

But try as I might, that corset just wasn't going to make my waist 18 inches ever again!

(...and so I decided to dress as Rhett Butler instead)

An honorable compromise, Dargo.

Did you retain any of the approved by the Godey's Lady's Book feminine under articles, for other purposes that might come up down the line, in your most adventurous life though? 

15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I'm a pretty regular guy and don't do anything different, I'm sure, from most others in preparation for watching a particular film.

I like to wear a black cape and put a pair of wax fangs in my mouth whenever I watch a horror film, of course, and if a Sophia Loren comes on TV I usually put on a bra.

Just the usual normal stuff.

Have you ever put your fangs in accidentally upside down like Jonathan Frid and bit yourself, Tom?

That's great about the dual purpose black cape, which could also be used to watch movies with leads like Zorro or masked crusader themes. Hopefully in honor of Sophia you are wearing an underwire brassiere.

If I plan a noir, I must have plenty of whiskey and cigarettes. I smoke about 10 cigarettes and get a sore throat but it's worth it because there must be enough smoke not to breathe properly. The babe is over lounging around with a cigarette holder and some ridiculous hat and keeps saying 'dahling' all the time. This is good atmosphere but if she get too fatale-ish I might have to tie her up and even have her rubbed out. The money I spent for those home-style neon lights were worth every penny. This is all a lot of trouble and sometimes I will eschew noir for something less elaborate. A cartoon, for instance, all I have to do for that is don my Bugs Bunny costume and eat a whole lot of carrots.

• Haha 2

If I were somehow forced to sit through any movie with Jack Black, I'd stuff in ear plugs and don a blackout eye mask.

Of course, that'd pretty much rule out hearing any other dialog or seeing anything else in the film, but the trade off would be worth it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laffite said:

If I plan a noir, I must have plenty of whiskey and cigarettes. I smoke about 10 cigarettes and get a sore throat but it's worth it because there must be enough smoke not to breathe properly. The babe is over lounging around with a cigarette holder and some ridiculous hat and keeps saying 'dahling' all the time. This is good atmosphere but if she get too fatale-ish I might have to tie her up and even have her rubbed out. The money I spent for those home-style neon lights were worth every penny. This is all a lot of trouble and sometimes I will eschew noir for something less elaborate. A cartoon, for instance, all I have to do for that is don my Bugs Bunny costume and eat a whole lot of carrots.

Fabulous planning, Laffite!

I do think the movie atmosphere should conform to one's viewing atmosphere. For example if one is going to watch their dvd of the Corman extravaganza, "The Trip" with Fonda and Nicholson, beforehand one should gather up any old peace symbol artifacts, autographed pictures of Abbie Hoffman or members of the Symbionese Liberation Army, dress in tie-dyed garments and bell bottoms and perhaps hang a beaded curtain on the kitchen doorway or at least put up a poster of the Trippy White Rabbit, along with some black light source and maybe even a strobe. Then...start the movie and you will be in the correct and proper mood. If you plan to watch a noir with multiple men killed by tawdry females later, leave up the black lights, since they work well in police procedurals to find any instances of bodily fluids, particularly ones which start with the letter "s", end with the letter "n" and have an "m" in the middle, with two "e's" in between, since there is always illicit sex in those silly noirish films.

P.S. A lava lamp would add a nice touch also, if you are short on the above supplies and can't find any incense.

29 minutes ago, Zea said:

If I were somehow forced to sit through any movie with Jack Black, I'd stuff in ear plugs and don a blackout eye mask.

Of course, that'd pretty much rule out hearing any other dialog or seeing anything else in the film, but the trade off would be worth it.

Hmmm, I kinda liked him in "High Fidelity" but that's because I like record stores, Zea and he was sorta cute in the "School of Rock" but I detect from your subtle inferences that I am not going to convince you of anything.

Now you gotta admit, Jack Black would be super fine if cast as that Dennis Rader, the BTK* Killer, doncha think? They bear quite a resemblance and Black could expand his repetoire as he seriously murders people and his lines in the movie. Check out their photos and see if you don't agree with me.

*BindTortureKill 

59 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Fabulous planning, Laffite!

I do think the movie atmosphere should conform to one's viewing atmosphere. For example if one is going to watch their dvd of the Corman extravaganza, "The Trip" with Fonda and Nicholson, beforehand one should gather up any old peace symbol artifacts, autographed pictures of Abbie Hoffman or members of the Symbionese Liberation Army, dress in tie-dyed garments and bell bottoms and perhaps hang a beaded curtain on the kitchen doorway or at least put up a poster of the Trippy White Rabbit, along with some black light source and maybe even a strobe. Then...start the movie and you will be in the correct and proper mood. If you plan to watch a noir with multiple men killed by tawdry females later, leave up the black lights, since they work well in police procedurals to find any instances of bodily fluids, particularly ones which start with the letter "s", end with the letter "n" and have an "m" in the middle, with two "e's" in between, since there is always illicit sex in those silly noirish films.

P.S. A lava lamp would add a nice touch also, if you are short on the above supplies and can't find any incense.

I figured it out after while. You mean seaman. I didn't know "The Trip" was about the sea. Who knew? :lol: BTW, you're a good planner too. Although may I add that a full-length portrait of Patti Hearst might be in order. I like the reference to the song. I want to listen to it now. Man, you you're really into nostalgia. I probably enjoy your setups more than the actual movie.

8 minutes ago, laffite said:

I figured it out after while. You mean seaman. I didn't know "The Trip" was about the sea. Who knew? :lol: BTW, you're a good planner too. Although may I add that a full-length portrait of Patti Hearst might be in order. I like the reference to the song. I want to listen to it now. Man, you you're really into nostalgia. I probably enjoy your setups more than the actual movie.

No, no, no!!! Laffite you are confusing "The Trip" with that Sarah Miles' movie called "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea" which had Kris Kristofferson nude a lot of the time and doing things that were shown full screen with Sarah, which I don't think even Moby Dick would approve of. Sorry for ending with a preposition when a dangling participle might have been more appropriate.

I always enjoy Patti Hearst in a film, particularly if directed by John Waters. Thanks for the kind words!

15 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Sorry for ending with a preposition when a dangling participle might have been more appropriate.

I count anyone as a friend who uses prepositions at the end of a sentence and dangles participles, so either will do. It's a vicarious way of getting back at my gd English teacher. I can say her name because she had good cover. Miss Jones.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, laffite said:

I count anyone as a friend who uses prepositions at the end of a sentence and dangles participles, so either will do. It's a vicarious way of getting back at my gd English teacher. I can say her name because she had good cover. Miss Jones.

Would you be the proverbial "Devil in Miss Jones", Laffite?

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Hmmm, I kinda liked him in "High Fidelity" but that's because I like record stores, Zea and he was sorta cute in the "School of Rock" but I detect from your subtle inferences that I am not going to convince you of anything.

Now you gotta admit, Jack Black would be super fine if cast as that Dennis Rader, the BTK* Killer, doncha think? They bear quite a resemblance and Black could expand his repetoire as he seriously murders people and his lines in the movie. Check out their photos and see if you don't agree with me.

*BindTortureKill 

Yep, I too am usually not a big fan of Jack Black's mugging, but I have to admit he had me laughing out loud quite a bit while watching that movie a few years back.

11 hours ago, Zea said:

Only in the case of the Peter Jackson "King Kong", the Disney "Muppets", or that upcoming Goosebumps-knockoff about the house with the clock in its walls.

lafitte

It's a vicarious way of getting back at my gd English teacher. I can say her name because she had good cover. Miss Jones.

She's sure got nice...bones!  

(looks around to see how many fellow geezers are pretending not to remember that)

17 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Hmmm...bathroom breaks need to be planned out beforehand obviously, so I would need to know the dvd chapter headings.

Can I get back to you on this, Calvin?

Just hitting "pause" should suffice.  Unless it's a "bathroom break" of a more SERIOUS nature, then you might consider getting one of those "bedside comodes" that can be found in most medical supply stores.

Of course, when COMPANY is over, it's use would be a bit uncomfortable for both you AND them.

Personally, my usual "prep" to watch a movie depends (ANOTHER consideration for that "bathroom break" conundrum) on the medium being used.  If from a DVD, just making sure I have a clear time frame in which to watch all of it is all I require.  If on TCM or some other movie TV outlet, just REMEMBERING it's ON, and at WHAT TIME works well enough, and lately, the most difficult of all "preps" for movie viewing.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings