Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The History Guy on Stars in World War I

cinecrazydc

Hey, cinecrazydc...thanks so much for this. Perhaps some others here were already aware of the military backgrounds of the four famous actors mentioned in this clip, but I was not. Extremely fascinating facts revealed about their war experiences and how they impacted their individual lives and careers.

One error, however, in The History Guy's narrative involved Herbert Marshall. He stated that Marshall starred with Marlene Dietrich in "THE LETTER". Marshall's costar was Bette Davis in that film. I saw that others on YouTube noted this error also.

Thanks again for posting this. I love learning backstories about almost anything or anyone connected w/film.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

Interesting clip by "The History Guy" about four famous film stars and their exploits in World War I 

Very interesting. I knew most of it due to being a fan of Claude, Herbie, Basil and Ronnie, but still learned a few things. Thanks so much for the post!

The master of ceremonies should take a course though in the history of how to tie a bow tie properly! It looks lopsided...

• Thanks 1

I knew about Herbert Marshall and Ronald Colman. I did not know about Claude Rains. It sounds like Basil Rathbone got out largely unscathed. Have you ever read the book "Singled Out"? It talks about how a generation of British women basically had to learn to get through life without marriage - a big deal at the time - because so many British young men were killed or maimed in the war.  The one thing the film Darkest Hour lacks is any explanation as to WHY Churchill's opponents would be so anxious to sue for peace when the choice at that time was between slavery and war. Chamberlain, Halifax, and the others had seen a generation wiped out in what seemed like a pointless conflict by the 1930s and did not want a repeat. What they didn't get was that Hitler was not the Kaiser.  Actually, the Americans didn't get that either. Not for awhile at any rate.

• Like 2

CALVINNME - Thanks for the information. No, I had not read the book "Singled Out" and yes, I can understand with so much slaughter on the western front that there would be an acute shortage of men.  I did see Darkest Hour and, now that you mention it, that thought probably was rolling around in the heads of people like Halifax, and they were looking to avoid war at all costs.   

• 1 month later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings