Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody gonna' see new version of A STAR IS BORN?

spence

All you fellow TCM-HITES are familiar with the previous versions, but who plans to go  check out this version with Lady Ga Ga & Bradley Cooper?

But, a 1932 version -(title escapes mew right now) with C. Bennett  WHAT PRICE, HOLLYWOOD

technically started this film.

• Like 1

Hey, Spence...good question!

I might go since I'm very curious to see if Bradley Cooper can really sing. There have been comments made about how surprised everyone was about how great his singing voice is, but I shall be the judge of that!

I do like Lady Gaga though, and think it has got to be better than the Streisand version, only because Babs really was not believable. Too bad Janis Joplin couldn't have played the part...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Hey, Spence...good question!

I might go since I'm very curious to see if Bradley Cooper can really sing. There have been comments made about how surprised everyone was about how great his singing voice is, but I shall be the judge of that!

I do like Lady Gaga though, and think it has got to be better than the Streisand version, only because Babs really was not believable. Too bad Janis Joplin couldn't have played the part...

I like your comment about Joplin, CaveGirl.  I think it might have been interesting if the roles were reversed and Joplin played the almost-washed-up singer but just speculation, of course, since she had already passed away by the time filming began.  In fact, I would like to see a gender-switch version where a woman plays the actor/musician on the career down slide and a man plays the neophyte.  Or a gay version could offer a lot of storyline possibilities.  Let's take the basic premise and switch it up some for modern audiences.

I'll probably watch this newest incarnation when it comes to HBO or Showtime as I haven't seen a movie in a theater in a while.  I am interested in seeing it, though.  It's certainly gotten a lot of positive buzz.

I've seen all the versions.  The original and the true original (WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD?) remain my favorites.  I like the songs in the Streisand version but the movie itself isn't all that good.

• Thanks 1

n first seeing GaGa & such, I just thought her yet another MADONNA rip off, but she can SING, BIG-TIME!  Check out her w/Tony Bennett & the CBS version on *SINATRA'S birthday

However, the duo-(Madonna & her staged a long battle, going so far as a big brawl on SNL)  It was obvious MADONNA actually liked her & was putting GaGa  up there at the top, or near it?

55 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Okay, I don't know What Price Hollywood. Have seen the others. I know this guy who named his black Labrador Bradley Cooper. Good dog. No nothing about the actor. Could have been a perfect time to see if Tony Bennett could act. Will be interesting to see if Lady Gaga can act. I may wait until TCM shows ALL the movies back to back.

Hmmmm...well HF, I believe THAT question was asked and answered back in '66. Or have you never watched the movie The Oscar ? ;)

(...and re this new remake...I saw the trailer for it just the other night, and it does seem like it might be a pretty good version of this old warhorse of a Tinseltown story, alright...and, I wouldn't be at surprised to learn that LGG can act fairly well)

As much as I'd like to think we don't need a fourth version of "A Star is Born," I might end up going to see this one. I am a fan of Lady Gaga; she has more talent, vocally, than I think a lot of people give her credit for. She's proved that on her songs with Tony Bennett, in my opinion. Bradley Cooper is a good actor, I guess, not a huge fan of his (simply out of not having seen virtually any of his films). 

My strategy is to go in with lower expectations; that way maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. 

MGM must have some kind of deal with AMC Theaters, where I see 90 per cent of my movies, because I swear to God, every movie I've seen in the last three months, the final trailer, the one that's shown right before the movie, has been for A Star is Born. And since I see about eight movies a month, I've seen the damn trailer a LOT. Cooper can definitely sing, and I'm impressed at what a sweet naivety Gaga is able to generate. Also stunned to see Dave Chappelle of all people has a supporting role. That alone should be worth the price of admission! The trailer appears to be all scenes from the first half of the film. The studio doesn't want the vast majority of ticket buyers who will have zero freaking idea how the story goes to have any advance clues of, well, how the story goes. I will probably see it, but I will go see pretty much anything ...

In another day and age, Stefani Germanotta would probably be a burlesque madam and own her own burlesque theater in some seedy part of town (until the city decided to tear it down and replace it with some magnet project).  What she and her peers have taken up is what is going on today.  It is sheer coincidence she can actually sing on top of that, as evidenced by "that album she did with Tony Bennett".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings