Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Mankiewicz & Keith Carradine


lydecker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wow.  If they would do it, I think we have a great new The Essentials team.  I was so impressed by Carradine's knowledge and ease during his recent guest programmer stint.  He and Ben seem to really work well together and of course, they are both "legacies" of Old Hollywood.  I know Keith C. is working on Madame Secretary but Alec Baldwin has/had other gigs as well and managed to do the tapings.  

What do you think?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Wow.  If they would do it, I think we have a great new The Essentials team.  I was so impressed by Carradine's knowledge and ease during his recent guest programmer stint.  He and Ben seem to really work well together and of course, they are both "legacies" of Old Hollywood.  I know Keith C. is working on Madame Secretary but Alec Baldwin has/had other gigs as well and managed to do the tapings.  

What do you think?

 

So far I've only caught them doing the intro to Performance, but I liked their rapport too. It wasn't just Carradine's knowledge and ease, but his enthusiasm too. I liked that Keith coined the term "psychedelic noir" to describe the film, which has always been a favorite of mine. Ben seemed content to look at it as a gangster film, but Keith expanded that by pointing out it involved both the criminal underground and the rock and roll underground and it was really the convergence of two very different takes on violence and sexuality which made it such a potent movie. 

I'd agree that they'd be a good pairing for "The Essentials", except for the fact that the series may have run its course and had already begun repeating so many titles. But Keith should be a keeper for TCM, that's for sure.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Wow.  If they would do it, I think we have a great new The Essentials team.  I was so impressed by Carradine's knowledge and ease during his recent guest programmer stint.  He and Ben seem to really work well together and of course, they are both "legacies" of Old Hollywood.  I know Keith C. is working on Madame Secretary but Alec Baldwin has/had other gigs as well and managed to do the tapings.  

What do you think?

Carradine IS observant. I remember his appearance many years ago on NBC's "Later with Bob Costas." He talked about his father, John Carradine, who played a Southern gambler named Hatfield in the classic John Ford Western "Stagecoach" (1939). Then the younger Carradine mentioned Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in the 1993 Western "Tombstone" and deduced that Kilmer may have been influenced by the elder Carradine's "Stagecoach" character. 

I've neither seen nor heard a confirmation from Kilmer about the theory, but it seems spot on!

Image result for john carradine stagecoach

John Carradine in "Stagecoach"

Related image

Kilmer in "Tombstone"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies. For a few days, I see I didn't even have an "S" on my profile photo spot. I realize now that was because I attempted to load a photo on there and met with failure, as I have every time I have attempted this. But I didn't change my setting back to "No Photo", which I see now must be done if I want the "S" back. 

I would love to load a photo like many of my fellow users, but I'm too computer-stupid to figure it out. All efforts result in me getting an "attempt failed" message. And there's no tutorial or anything to follow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hibi said:

I thought there was something in the stickies thread about it (WAY back) I dont remember how I did mine and I'm afraid to attempt to change it, so it stays. Maybe someone else can help.

You sure you don't want to change it to a rear view of Mr. Brent?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Carradine really shines as part of a duo, where there is a back and forth exchange.  He'd be a catch for TCM and clearly knows his film history.  As far as The Essentials goes, I wouldn't mind it returning but perhaps as a once a month program as opposed to every week.  That way, there would be better film selections and (hopefully) no repeats over the course of the year.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep! Carradine does indeed seem engaging, articulate and knowledgeable about classic films, NOT to mention his excellent use of inflection while speaking AND has a decently resonant tone to his voice along with good diction.

And THEN add into this mix that he isn't nasally, and I TOO would gladly appreciate seeing him as a regular host on TCM.

(...c'mon now, this is DARGO...you really think I was gonna miss an opportunity to mention "nasally voices" in a thread about people hosting on TCM here or somethin'?!!) ;)

LOL

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan know if anyone else has ever noticed it...

but there are alotta times on kung fu when david carradine is playing caine as the shaven headed shaolin disciple and he looks a lot like his brother keith.

Keith played "Middle Caine" in a couple of Kung Fu episodes.

tve2753-19720222-1308.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Carradine was the first person primarily known for acting to receive the Academy Award for Best Original Song. He won an Oscar for writing "I'm Easy" from the 1975 Robert Altman film "Nashville." 

He also won the Golden Globe after performing the song at the annual awards show.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, jakeem said:

Carradine IS observant. I remember his appearance many years ago on NBC's "Later with Bob Costas." He talked about his father, John Carradine, who played a Southern gambler named Hatfield in the classic John Ford Western "Stagecoach" (1939). Then the younger Carradine mentioned Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in the 1993 Western "Tombstone" and deduced that Kilmer may have been influenced by the elder Carradine's "Stagecoach" character. 

I've neither seen nor heard a confirmation from Kilmer about the theory, but it seems spot on!

Image result for john carradine stagecoach

John Carradine in "Stagecoach"

Related image

Kilmer in "Tombstone"

THANKS.

I thought that very thing the first time I saw TOMBSTONE.  And I'll add that since the Carradines are my favorite acting "dynasty", seeing Keith as a host OR co-host on TCM would be great.  and too.....

Maybe it IS just me, but I don't consider Ben's voice to be "nasally"at all.  At least, not compared to SOME people I know.  ;)

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

THANKS.

I thought that very thing the first time I saw TOMBSTONE.  And I'll add that since the Carradines are my favorite acting "dynasty", seeing Keith as a host OR co-host on TCM would be great.  and too.....

Maybe it IS just me, but I don't consider Ben's voice to be "nasally"at all.  At least, not compared to SOME people I know.  ;)

Sepiatone

Well Sepia ol' buddy, considering almost every time I bring this sort'a thing up(and yeah, maybe too often), I seldom get a whole lot of amens (i.e. "likes" or "thanks" responses) afterward, I have to admit the "camp" of those around here who evidently don't hear Ben's nasally voice or don't consider it such, seems a hell of lot larger than the camp of those of us who do.

(...and so evidently it ISN'T "just you") 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, lydecker said:

Wow.  If they would do it, I think we have a great new The Essentials team.  I was so impressed by Carradine's knowledge and ease during his recent guest programmer stint.  He and Ben seem to really work well together and of course, they are both "legacies" of Old Hollywood.  I know Keith C. is working on Madame Secretary but Alec Baldwin has/had other gigs as well and managed to do the tapings.  

What do you think?

 

Right on, Lydecker!

I saw them also and found them an appealing duo, and with interesting reflections.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep! Carradine does indeed seem engaging, articulate and knowledgeable about classic films, NOT to mention his excellent use of inflection while speaking AND has a decently resonant tone to his voice along with good diction.

And THEN add into this mix that he isn't nasally, and I TOO would gladly appreciate seeing him as a regular host on TCM.

(...c'mon now, this is DARGO...you really think I was gonna miss an opportunity to mention "nasally voices" in a thread about people hosting on TCM here or somethin'?!!) ;)

LOL

 

But I thought your favorite actor was Andy Devine, Dargo???

If you want good inflection, you need to hire Captain Kirk!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Ben Mankiewicz is a "legacy of old Hollywood"? Since when? I never heard of him before Osborn left the building ...and I really wish he would fix his goshdarn hair!

Carradine: No, I'm not sure I would prefer to see Keith appear regularly as a TV host of anything. He should be out enjoying life, drinking fine liquor, eating steak and lobster; an' bangin beaver every night. Enjoying the fruits of his success!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...