Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GREAT LINE UP SATURDAY NIGHT 9/15

Hibi

23 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry, haven't been watching TCM much recently. Is Noir Alley always on Saturday night now instead of morning? Or does it vary?

It is on Sat at Midnight and then repeats at 10 AM on Sunday.  Same showing both times.

Panic in the Streets is well worth watching; Richard Widmark showed he could play a good guy instead of a psycho. He even suggested that co-star Jack Palance, in his film debut, would make fans forget Widmark's performance in Kiss of Death. "I pushed an old lady down the stairs in my first movie," said Widmark, "but Jack does better than that. He takes a dying man and hurls him off a balcony, mattress and all. Lovely character."

Lewis Charles, who plays a murder victim (and infected with the plague) came to the set having studied up on the plague, trying to go for realism. Director Elia Kazan said to him "Oh, we're realistic all right. You'll find out." Kazan then filmed Charles on a slab in a morgue, next to actual corpses.

Edited by scsu1975
(added an additional paragraph after initial post)
  • Like 4

The Killer That Stalked New York is also a little gem, with a great supporting cast, including the lovely Lola Albright. In one scene, she is roughed up and shaken by Charles Korvin (he was Carlos the mambo teacher on The Honeymooners). When the director yelled "fine" at the end of the scene, the sound man cut in and said "not at all. Lola will have to take off that necklace and earrings she's wearing. On the soundtrack they make as much noise as a set of dinner chimes." Ms. Albright apparently enjoyed her role, which enabled her to behave like a naughty girl and wear some sexy clothes. "It's all part of the business. Good business too, if you ask me. No girl can get to be a pin-up favorite hiding her good points under long burlap sacking." (I agree wholeheartedly.)

• Like 2

The Killer That Stalked New York also has some neat bits of New York City archival footage of the Chatham Square Third Avenue El station and train that is pretty cool to see. The First Shearth Israel Graveyard that Evelyn Keyes cuts across from her brother's flop hotel is still there (on St. James Place between Oliver and James St.). On December 31, 1953, the Chatham Square to City Hall stub portion of the line was closed.  The entire El was closed an demolished in Manhattan in 1955.

So incidentally for all you Aficio-noir-dos and Noir-istas out there. all Film Noir that feature Manhattan els all used the only el left in Manhattan the Third Avenue El. 

Service on the Second, Sixth and Ninth Avenue elevated lines were terminated in 1942, 1938, and 1940, respectively, pretty much all before the Noir Era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings