Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I looked around for another thread on this great John Cromwell noir, and I couldn't find any.

Dead Reckoning is a terrific noir, with another outstanding performance by Humphrey Bogart. The femme fatale here is played by Lizbeth Scott; reportedly, Rita Hayworth was originally considered for the role but couldn't do this movie because she had to make The Lady from Shanghai with Orson Welles.

deadreckoning81.jpg

Bogart plays Capt. "Rip" Murdock, just back from WW2 with his best buddy Sgt. Johnny Drake (William Prince); when they find out they're about to be part of a major awards ceremony in Washington D.C., Johnny disappears - but not before Murdock finds out that he'd been living under a false name.

One thing leads to another, and before he knows it Rip Murdock is involved in some serious trouble, finding out Johnny's been killed and trying to find out who might have wanted him dead. Rip eventually finds Johnny's old flame, 'Dusty' Chandler (Scott), whose husband was apparently killed by Johnny.

He's also going to have to deal with the shady nightclub owner Martinelli (Morris Carnovsky) and his hot-tempered henchman Krause (Marvin Miller).

The movie has some great atmosphere and excellent black-and-white cinematography (by Leo Tover, who also shot I Walk Alone and The Woman on the Beach, among others).

Before it's all over, Rip realizes that 'Dusty' was right in one thing: It's a blue, sick world.

• 5 months later...

You are sooo right. Lizabeth did have great chemistry with the Bogester and this was probably a prime role for her. I would have loved to see Rita and Bogie together in something. They both seem so world-weary when they act at times.

In any case, i am fascinated by any drama, noir, or western that Lizabeth is in. I find her very appealing. Hopefully Liz's hottness factor can help me make it through the cold temps here in Ohio.

> {quote:title=randyishere wrote:}{quote}

> I would have loved to see Rita and Bogie together in something. They both seem so world-weary when they act at times.

Oh, I know! They'd have made a great pair on-screen.

> In any case, i am fascinated by any drama, noir, or western that Lizabeth is in. I find her very appealing. Hopefully Liz's hottness factor can help me make it through the cold temps here in Ohio.

Hang in there! There'll be more hotness coming your way via TCM, I think. ;)