Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All About Eve: new stage production in London

Swithin

Ivo van Hove, one of the most innovative theater directors (Belgian, but works often in London and NY), is working on a new adaptation of All About Eve, to open in London in early 2019. It will star Gillian Anderson and Lily James.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/gillian-anderson-lily-james-star-all-about-eve-hove_47646.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21september2018

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2018 at 9:28 AM, Swithin said:

Ivo van Hove, one of the most innovative theater directors (Belgian, but works often in London and NY), is working on a new adaptation of All About Eve, to open in London in early 2019. It will star Gillian Anderson and Lily James.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/gillian-anderson-lily-james-star-all-about-eve-hove_47646.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21september2018

Well, agewise interestingly Bette was only around forty-one as Margo, and Gillian is around fifty which I found hard to believe, so that could work. Plus Gillian is a fine actress and possibly could pull this off well.

Don't know enough of the work of the other actress, but would say that part is the harder one to pull off. Anne Baxter had just the right touch.

Thanks for the info though!

I have to admit I am trying not to be too doubtful of Lily James as Eve... I only know her from Disney's live-action Cinderella (2015) and Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again (2018), so I have no idea if she has the acting chops to do the role justice. I guess we'll see? 

Re: Gillian Anderson: I think she's a fabulous actress, and only wish I could be able to see her in this role. Although, just imagine Cate Blanchett doing this role as originally planned. I would cancel everything and immediately book a flight to London to see her if that were the case. 

35 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I have to admit I am trying not to be too doubtful of Lily James as Eve... I only know her from Disney's live-action Cinderella (2015) and Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again (2018), so I have no idea if she has the acting chops to do the role justice. I guess we'll see? 

Lily James achieved her first fame in America due to her role in Downton Abbey.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2018 at 9:28 AM, Swithin said:

I like the casting choices. Both are fine actresses. Lily James has mostly done period pieces, playing refined liberated characters. The role that was different was in Baby Driver (2017), in which she brought a refreshing edge to her character. 

13 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Re: Gillian Anderson: I think she's a fabulous actress, and only wish I could be able to see her in this role. Although, just imagine Cate Blanchett doing this role as originally planned. I would cancel everything and immediately book a flight to London to see her if that were the case. 

Oh, yeah...Cate Blanchett would be perfection!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings