Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mary Pickford Biopic

Im4movies2

They did try and get a biopic going on Mary Pickford that seemed to fizzle out over this decade. The inspiration for the movie development went back to 2011 when The Artist won Best Picture at the Academy Awards.  At one point, Al Pacino's daughter was set to direct it and the actress at the time to play Mary was going to be Lily Rabe but then American Horror Story happened and she left the project. Over those years, actresses and actors would attach themselves to the project and then leave. The screenplay was supposed to be adapted from Eileen Whitfield's definitive biography on Pickford. There was some hype going into the movie as recently as 2016 when it was getting attention at Cannes but all that attention quickly fizzled out. I think unfortunately, the money wasn't there and nobody wanted to really pick up the film and get anything started with it. Today, it's listed as in "post-production" on IMDB and the release date is 2018, however the title of the movie went from "The First" to "Why Not Try Love: A Mary Pickford Manifesto", I kid you not. hahaha Here's the link to the IMDB info. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2391089/I still hold out hope that some big wig might invest in a Pickford project. She was a very fascinating strong woman that ran her own studio, she definitely would be an interesting subject during the "me too" era of our decade. 

PS: The Love Light(1920) is airing tonight on TCM during silent Sunday, a film that famed screenwriter Frances Marion wrote and directed for Pickford. Those two were besties and collaborated on films together for years, becoming some of the most power women in Hollywood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings