Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PROFILES?

Sepiatone

Nah, not the "profiles" of people found in these forums, but profiles of some "classic" and maybe NOT so "classic" actors and actresses (in fact, I rarely hear of any actresses profiles mentioned much).

For years, I've always heard much being made of JOHN BARRYMORE'S "distinctive" profile, but really, I never saw anything the least "distinctive" or outstanding about it.  Maybe back in his "day" it was, but I'd say a MORE distinctive profile would have been JIMMY DURANTE's!  ;)

other actors had their own particular profiles which others "sort of" shared and stood apart from most.  BOB HOPE for example, had that "ski slope" nose that made his profile more "one of a kind" than Barrymore's, which even reminds me of the one a TEACHER of mine(7th grade) had.  ;)

MARLON BRANDO too, had a singular profile, thanks to his once(or more) broken nose, which too, makes the profile of ROY SCHEIDER(once a pro prizefighter) distinctive too.

And I'll add GEORGE C. SCOTT on my list of profiles that I find MORE compelling than Barrymore's.

Who can any of YOU add?  :) 

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

For years, I've always heard much being made of JOHN BARRYMORE'S "distinctive" profile, but really, I never saw anything the least "distinctive" or outstanding about it.  Maybe back in his "day" it was, but I'd say a MORE distinctive profile would have been JIMMY DURANTE's!  ;)

I suppose we have to define what a "distinctive" profile is. In Barrymore's case, I'm sure the phrase referred to his good looks. If you don't think so, find an photo of him, from the early 1920 and see for yourself. Certainly Durante had a distinct profile too, but that was due to his large schnozzola.

Ya know Sepia, the first thought that came to my mind while reading your thread's OP here was of the great caricaturist Al Hirschfeld.

However, and after goggle imaging his works on the internet, I was actually kind of surprised to discover that very very few of his caricatures of famous people were done in total profile.

The following were the only ones I could find out of the many other examples of his work to be found by using this source, anyway...

slide0019_image048.jpgal-hirschfeld-ella-fitzgerald.jpg

• Thanks 1

Barrymore's profile was particularly handsome because he had perfect proportions. 

I always found Dana Andrews to appear very different in profile than full face. Not very many photos available, see if you think so from this snapshot:

Well, I WAS going more for FACIAL profiles, not "full body", like Hitch's, OR Monroe's, if THAT'S the profile LAFFITE was going for.  ;)   But yeah, I guess just her facial profile WAS pretty nice.  And it kinda tickles me(in reference to that "23 year old" thread) how many twentysomethings in my family express surprise at how they think MM was so pretty "in those days"!  :o  

:D

As if being "pretty"  wasn't "invented" until about 1999 or something.  :rolleyes: 

And too, TIKI--- Dana's profile just looks like a profile of Dana.  Nothing exceptional.

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

And this weekend, stuck watching "Funny Lady" with the Mrs. on the MOVIES! channel noticed BARBARA STREISAND has quite the distinctive profile.  Couldn't help but 'quip" about it, saying;

"Sure was lucky they shot this movie with PANAVISION!"  :D 

That might seem cruel( and I'll concede that) but Babs' schnozz was just a "tad" more protrusive than my EX's was.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings