Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Battle Cry

lydecker

Only caught a bit of Battle Cry today (though I have seen it many times before) and I was reminded once again about how many great performances are in it.  Van Heflin, James Whitmore, Nancy Olson, John Lupton and, probably the best performances ever, by Aldo Ray and Tab Hunter.  Kudos to Raoul Walsh.

Lydecker

• Like 1

For years, this film was routinely shown to freshly-recruited US Marines in their time at bootcamps around the country. This one, along with 'The Sands of Iwo Jima'.

I like Van Heflin in the flick, but I'm not particularly a fan of anyone in the rest of the cast except for Raymond Massey and maybe Nancy Olson.

One of our much missed posters, Jack Favell (who had to give up posting to take an actual job), pointed out that Battle Cry closely parallels The Best of Everything in terms of its main characters, except that it's a male soap opera instead of a female soap opera. The Best of Everything was filmed later, of course, but the point is that Battle Cry, a "war movie," is really a soap opera or domestic melodrama with the kind of setting so that men can allow themselves to enjoy this kind of movie.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings