Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Amish Movies

CaveGirl

This may be a short lived post, but I hope a good one.

The Amish may not watch movies, but I'm sure that Hollywood has still used the Amish lifestyle in films, to their detriment probably, and I'm looking to find all such films to review since it will be easier to research than which film noir actresses have ever been in all films extant.

Just as Hollywood loves to use nuns in films, that seem very unlike ones I've known, and I never had a nun who looked like Loretta Young or even Rosalind Russell, I bet they don't portray the Amish reliably either. Now any films about Mennonites will be welcome also. I only know a little about them from the tv show, "Breaking Amish" which is supposedly reality but who knows. I stopped watching after the episode about how the one girl had no teeth and they had to be all replaced with implants.

Extra points for any comedy films featuring Amish humor. I do hope Miss Wonderly participates in this intrigue, though I can understand her antipathy toward Amish posters on our site, trying to usurp our power to talk about films.

The "reality series" I think you are talking about was more along the lines of what a "blaxploitation" film is to blacks.  At least in the commercials.

It might be difficult to find, but look for Aaron's Way (1988).  It was a TV series with Merlin Olsen.  It was a drama about an Amish family done in a sober, delicate manner, apparently never to be rereleased or aired again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This 1997 film has become a cult classic. Tim and Kirstie play a big city couple who move to a Pennsylvania farming community populated by Amish. Shades of Green Acres, no doubt!

screen-shot-2018-09-25-at-1-08-27-pm.jpg

I'm into "cults" and like "classics" but have never heard of this film, TB.

This might be because I have an aversion to Tim Allen though...

Thanks for a great pick!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

The "reality series" I think you are talking about was more along the lines of what a "blaxploitation" film is to blacks.  At least in the commercials.

It might be difficult to find, but look for Aaron's Way (1988).  It was a TV series with Merlin Olsen.  It was a drama about an Amish family done in a sober, delicate manner, apparently never to be rereleased or aired again.

I had no idea that the Amish had any football players in their fold.

Thanks for opening my eyes, MCO!

6 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

49th PARALLEL (1941) is not about the Amish nor the Mennonites, but it has an important episode (the movie is a series of episodes) involving a Hutterite community. Among my (long) list of undeservedly obscure movies.

Good example. I just watched this film on YouTube a few days ago. Someone uploaded a very nice looking print.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

Duh... WITNESS (1985)

Oh, right, "Witness", and "Friendly Persuasion"--oh, wait, those were Quakers--and "High Noon"--oops, that was another Quaker, and...um...

Also, in The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968), the "true story" of dancer Mary Dawson, who came from a progressive Quaker family, inventing the burlesque striptease, is 60's-counterculture mangled into repressed-naive Amish girl "Rachel Schpitendavel", in full Pennsylvania gear, coming to the theater to do "Interpretative Bible ballets" before becoming a pawn in the theater manager's plots...Some, ahem, slight historical liberties.  

(And then back when 90's Disney was grinding their Touchstone/Hollywood pictures out like sausages, we had the declining Sidney Lumet's A Stranger Among Us (1992) with Melanie Griffith investigating a murder in the closed Hassidic Jewish community, that was so obviously studio-concocted derivative, critics almost unanimously referred to it as "Witless"...)  

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

That's obviously your opinion. I agree it's a very good film but some might not think it's the best or even most accurate film about the Amish community.

At least it's a...little more accurate than the current Red-state craze for Beverly Lewis's "Bonnet-ripper" Amish-romance novels (for those who want a nice wholesome heroine in their novels, and basic values), which bestsellers have already worked their way into the Inspirational-film and Hallmark cable-movie industries.

("From Hallmark, the channel that will try to make you grateful for all those danged Christmas movies the rest of the year!" )

40 minutes ago, EricJ said:

At least it's a...little more accurate than the current Red-state craze for Beverly Lewis's "Bonnet-ripper" Amish-romance novels (for those who want a nice wholesome heroine in their novels, and basic values), which bestsellers have already worked their way into the Inspirational-film and Hallmark cable-movie industries.

("From Hallmark, the channel that will try to make you grateful for all those danged Christmas movies the rest of the year!" )

Never heard of these stories. But I don't watch the Hallmark Channel. I don't watch anything that has commercials.

Though as I said I don't think there are even a dozen theatrical releases of Amish cinema & 1985's *Oscar winner-(writing & Film Editing) ($65m.) (***1/2) is the be all of the genre

(P.S. When I was a kid my mom took me to Amish country for my birthday, or Thanksgiving & THE FOOD IS TREMENDOUS!!!  I got so as stuffed had to  walk around the bldg. for a couple of laps

• Haha 1

& strangely Harrison Ford-(l942-) earned his 12st & only to date *Academy Award shot as John Book in WITNESS

& a question for all fellow TCM-ITES, it hardly made an my $dough$ who else saw Weir & Ford's follow up from 1986 THE MOSQUITO COAST?"  A role *Nicholson wanted for yrs & Ford really delivered the work/performance of his life in it, but failed to be nommed 2nd consecutive year. It seemed a shoo-in for my longtime pal of 38yrs & fellow movie buff & fellow *Oscar handicapper back then  Below check out the official Best Actor contenders for '86-(a great movie year as well)>

*PAUL NEWMAN in The Color of Money-(won his only statuette as Fast Eddie Felson & I agreed)

BOB HOSKINS, Mona Lisa-(won every film critics award)

DEXTER GORDON, Round Midnight

WILLIAM HURT, Children of a Lesser God

& JAMES WOODS in Salvador

WHO & WOULD YOU REPLACE ANY OF THEM IN FAVOR OF FORD, for me maybe Gordon though great

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oh, right, "Witness", and "Friendly Persuasion"--oh, wait, those were Quakers--and "High Noon"--oops, that was another Quaker, and...um...

Also, in The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968), the "true story" of dancer Mary Dawson, who came from a progressive Quaker family, inventing the burlesque striptease, is 60's-counterculture mangled into repressed-naive Amish girl "Rachel Schpitendavel", in full Pennsylvania gear, coming to the theater to do "Interpretative Bible ballets" before becoming a pawn in the theater manager's plots...Some, ahem, slight historical liberties.  

(And then back when 90's Disney was grinding their Touchstone/Hollywood pictures out like sausages, we had the declining Sidney Lumet's A Stranger Among Us (1992) with Melanie Griffith investigating a murder in the closed Hassidic Jewish community, that was so obviously studio-concocted derivative, critics almost unanimously referred to it as "Witless"...)  

hqdefault.jpg

I really split with you on MINSKEY'S though, not really an Amish production, but a good picture (***-out of four)

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Good example. I just watched this film on YouTube a few days ago. Someone uploaded a very nice looking print.

Wasn't this WWII era film the one that won those *Academy Awards? & ended with R. Massey on a train vs Nazi's???

Image result for violent saturday

from Wiki (red highlights my own):

Harper (Stephen McNally) is a bank robber posing as a traveling salesman. He arrives in town, soon to be joined by sadistic benzedrine addict Dill (Lee Marvin) and bookish Chapman (J. Carrol Naish).

Boyd Fairchild (Richard Egan) is manager of the local copper mine, troubled by his philandering wife (Margaret Hayes). He considers an affair with nurse Linda Sherman (Virginia Leith), though he truly loves his wife. His associate, Shelley Martin (Victor Mature), has a happy home life, but is embarrassed that his son believes he is a coward because he did not serve in World War II.

Subplots involves a peeping-tom bank manager, Harry Reeves (Tommy Noonan), and a larcenous librarian, Elsie Braden (Sylvia Sidney). As the bank robbers carry out their plot, the separate character threads are drawn together. Violence erupts during the robbery. Fairchild's wife is slain and bank manager Reeves is wounded. Martin is held hostage on a farm with an Amish family. With the help of the father (Ernest Borgnine), he defeats the crooks in a savage gunfight. In the aftermath, Martin becomes a hero to his son, and Linda comforts Fairchild as he grieves for his wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Image result for violent saturday

from Wiki (red highlights my own):

Harper (Stephen McNally) is a bank robber posing as a traveling salesman. He arrives in town, soon to be joined by sadistic benzedrine addict Dill (Lee Marvin) and bookish Chapman (J. Carrol Naish).

Boyd Fairchild (Richard Egan) is manager of the local copper mine, troubled by his philandering wife (Margaret Hayes). He considers an affair with nurse Linda Sherman (Virginia Leith), though he truly loves his wife. His associate, Shelley Martin (Victor Mature), has a happy home life, but is embarrassed that his son believes he is a coward because he did not serve in World War II.

Subplots involves a peeping-tom bank manager, Harry Reeves (Tommy Noonan), and a larcenous librarian, Elsie Braden (Sylvia Sidney). As the bank robbers carry out their plot, the separate character threads are drawn together. Violence erupts during the robbery. Fairchild's wife is slain and bank manager Reeves is wounded. Martin is held hostage on a farm with an Amish family. With the help of the father (Ernest Borgnine), he defeats the crooks in a savage gunfight. In the aftermath, Martin becomes a hero to his son, and Linda comforts Fairchild as he grieves for his wife.

Glad you mentioned this one. WITNESS borrows heavily from VIOLENT SATURDAY. I'd go so far as to say WITNESS is a pseudo-remake.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings