Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

*Mel Gibson to redo THE WILD BUNCH

This is pretty much a new item from Variety, H. Reporter & others, that *Oscar winner *MEL GIBSON plans to remake one of the all-time greatest Westerns 1969's THE WILD BUNCH

A massive undertaking though, but should be left alone-(anyone remember the recent rehash of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN???)  I gave it barely (**1/2) &it sold $95m in tickets  but was no way in same league with the 1960 classic

One thing *MEL is a superior director to actor & almost every movie he's helmed was good or great, BUT STILL?

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio earlier today. Sarah Silverman, the Jewish comedienne and actress, tweeted Gibson's quote the night he was arrested that "the Jews have caused all of the world's wars" immediately followed by a link to the announcement.

Well, maybe he can do a better job. I know that is a very popular movie but I couldn't get through it. The movie should have been called The Idiot Bunch. Good luck Gibby (but try not to talk too much on the set, eh?).

Hmmmm...let's see now.

Over the years several of what are considered some the greatest westerns ever made have been remade and none of 'em were never considered to be even near the equal of their originals, and such as Stagecoach and The Magnificent Seven, just to name a few.

And so ya have to wonder why Mel thinks he'd more successful in this regard.

(...and especially considering there are no Robert Ryans, William Holdens and Ernie Borgnines left in the world anymore)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, laffite said:

Well, maybe he can do a better job. I know that is a very popular movie but I couldn't get through it. The movie should have been called The Idiot Bunch. Good luck Gibby (but try not to talk too much on the set, eh?).

laffite, for years I too felt this same way about this film, and then about five or six years ago I found myself being completely captivated by it and seeing the brilliance of it.

Yeah sure, while Peckinpah's film is often cited as being the film which would open the floodgates of graphic violence being depicted in movies, I seemed to finally discover during that viewing of it why this film is now considered to be one of the greats within the western genre.

(...and thus just one of the reasons I don't think Gibson has a chance in hell to even come close to equaling the original)

18 hours ago, spence said:

This is pretty much a new item from Variety, H. Reporter & others, that *Oscar winner *MEL GIBSON plans to remake one of the all-time greatest Westerns 1969's THE WILD BUNCH

A massive undertaking though, but should be left alone-(anyone remember the recent rehash of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN???)  I gave it barely (**1/2) &it sold $95m in tickets  but was no way in same league with the 1960 classic

One thing *MEL is a superior director to actor & almost every movie he's helmed was good or great, BUT STILL?

The entire concept of "should be left alone" is nonsense.    A new adaptation doesn't harm prior versions.

So to me this is another silly thread where someone complains about a new adaptation that hasn't even been made yet.    

Either way,  if one believes a film will be a dud,  there is a simple solution: don't see it.

Mel has a penchant for making violent and gory films, such as The Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto (in addition to the violent action films he starred in).  The 1969 version of The Wild Bunch is known for its bar-raising violence, so Mel will surely not ignore that aspect in the remake.  Some directors just love to dwell on the violence, with slo-mo, fancy editing & camera angle, fancy choreographed action, and other Peckinpah-inspired creativity.  John Woo is another such director, and he is also a fan of Peckinpah.

Remaking a classic is a daunting task, and a thankless one at that. Outside of the 1991 redo of Father of the Bride, have any of these classic remakes really truly have been liked by audiences?

is mel Gibson gonna have the players in his new wild bunch speak Spanish?

apocalypto was a good film but Gibson likes to hamstring his films by not having the actors speak English which is really stupid.

7 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

is mel Gibson gonna have the players in his new wild bunch speak Spanish?

apocalypto was a good film but Gibson likes to hamstring his films by not having the actors speak English which is really stupid.

What language was spoken in The Passion of the Christ?  Hebrew?  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I thought that it was the ancient variant of Hebrew, Aramaic. 

So the film uses subtitles associated with the country the film is being shown in?

Thanks

What a juxtaposition of films Gibson has planned.  A "WILD BUNCH" remake and his sequel: "THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST 2 - RESURRECTION".

Violence. Gore. Brutality. Morality. Redemption. Salvation.

Characteristics of either movie.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:04 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I thought that it was the ancient variant of Hebrew, Aramaic. 

Aramaic isn't a variant of Hebrew but they do belong to the same Semitic language family. It's like how German and English belong to the same language family but they aren't a "variant" of each other. Parts of the Bible were written in both Aramaic and Hebrew.

To TCM editors & anyone else, I was always for yrs-(welp, I personally have been devided on these tcm forums, because I first got into them around 2001-2002 with another handle & all & lots of posts-(not as many as I currently have though) & started on here again a few yrs ago.  

BUT, am not all of a sudden getting notices in my inbox when someone relies to a post I wopte or someone else replied to, such as *MEL & WILD BUNCH & others recently

ANY SUGGESTIOONS?

(P.S. Somebody elsewhere online this morning wrote trhat *MEL'S directorial debut was APOCALYPTO ($17m.) (strong ***1/2) almost another great production he helmed, but as most on here probably know it was 1993'

s good (***) MAN WITHOUT A FACE ($55m.)  2 full years prior to PASSION OF THE CHRIST as well???

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

What language was spoken in The Passion of the Christ?  Hebrew?  

Actually James, many said at the time the language-(including my own history buff of a mother) that the language spoken in APOCALPTO-(a massively violent yet powerfully well handled picture, same goes for PASSION OF THE CHRIST  He blew his gasket about a famed writer not getting the script done in time to start THE HUCKABEES by the way for most that did not know  But the language in APOCALYPTO-(not even up for 1 single *Oscar either?) was a language long gone