Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is the biggest Movie Star of All-Time?

Please log in & give your own personal opinion of who was or is the all-time most famous motion picture star???

Not to be confused with your favs or *Oscars or really talent, but with 1 word all know whom they were

I once wrote a post-(yrs ago now) on MT. HOLLYWOOD in make believe land & just speculation if the actually contructed a MT. HOLLYWOOD what 4 male stars would/should be on 1 side of the mountain & what 4 female giants should or would be on the other side-(below are my fantasy choices)>

*CHAPLIN-(l889-l977)

*JOHN WAYNE-(l907-l979)

*HUMPHREY BOGART-(l899-l957)

& of course THE KING OF HOLLYWOOD: CLARK GABLE-(l90l-l960)

AND on the other side>

GARBO-(l905-l990)

*KATE HEPBURN-(l907-2003)

*BETTE DAVIS-(l908-l989)

& MARILYN MONROE-(l926-l962)

PLEASE SEND YOUR OWN THOUGHTS & I THANK YOU

Why are you not including Mary Pickford? Certainly she was a bigger star than some of the ones you mentioned. One of the first truly international stars.

She had a much longer career than several of your choices. Her films made gobs of money. She produced and starred in countless motion pictures. She also directed scenes of her movies. She co-owned United Artists. She helped develop the Motion Picture Home. Her influence was tremendous and her legacy has a far-reaching effect, still to this day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Mickey Mouse 

Well N&N, when one considers that he WAS..ahem.."the leader of the club that's made for you and me", I suppose Mickey deserves at least some consideration here, huh!  ;)

(...you DID catch the reference here, didn't ya kid?!) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Why are you not including Mary Pickford? Certainly she was a bigger star than some of the ones you mentioned. One of the first truly international stars.

She had a much longer career than several of your choices. Her films made gobs of money. She produced and starred in countless motion pictures. She also directed scenes of her movies. She co-owned United Artists. She helped develop the Motion Picture Home. Her influence was tremendous and her legacy has a far-reaching effect, still to this day.

Welp once again TCM editors cut off more then my post???  & per usual a big thanx Top, for fast response

However, I meant as far as the even bigger legendary Tinsel Town names,etc I know a lot about The Queen of the Silent Era: *Mary Pickford-(l893-l979)  As u of all know *Gable & Loy were voted by millions-(20 of 'em)for that 1938 fans poll in movie magazines as King & Queen of Hollywood-(likely too much to the chagrin of *Bette Davis, *N. Shearer & *Joan Crawford) Myrna was voted that honor & the first had a tacky-(as most considered it) ceremony at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer of course hosted by Mr. Nice Guy but Mogul of all Moguls: L.B. Mayer-(l885-l957) Then they had the biggie at El Capitain-(still there, for now anyway) on H. Blvd & *Tracy presented *Clark with his crown at the ceremony. But as far as the Silent Era  Fairbanks, Sr & *Mary were probably if the conducted another poll would easily have been crowned as King & Queen of that glorious & now seemingly forgotten with each passing year of silent cinema.  But when it comes down to it, I disagree with you on *Pickford's name & such being bigger. On that note yet another casualty of HOLLYWOOD, they tore down PIUCKFAIR yrs ago too? & *Chaplin lived on same rd (summit dr)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well N&N, when one considers that he WAS..ahem.."the leader of the club that's made for you and me", I suppose Mickey deserves at least some consideration here, huh!  ;)

(...you DID catch the reference here, didn't ya kid?!) 

A good one    Born in 1928

What I should have posted is WHO ARE THE BIGGEST MOVIE STARS OF ALL-TIME & asked for other's vote as TopBilled & Mickey Mouse supporters did

So typical that TCM cut off 1/2 or more of my topic    When will this strop?

Notice I left off my own favorites such as>NATALIE WOOD-(she is getting more invisble to current audiences with each passing day & I know she's not in the heavyweight league like a *CHAPLIN, GARBO, *GABLE, *KATE & others, case in point in AFI's 1999 "100 YEARS...100 STARS" she didn't even make the top 25 ladies.  & though my #1 idol *TRACY though by virtually all accounts from peers & more is still considered HOLLYWOODS ALL-TIME BEST FILM ACTOR, is not a famous as those for "MT. HOLLYWOOD"  

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

An aside that really has nada to do with this, but still interesting  Though *Pickford, D.W. Griffith & Fairbanks, Sr. started (UA United Artists) *Charlie thought of her as a...….

3 hours ago, spence said:

Welp once again TCM editors cut off more then my post???  & per usual a big thanx Top, for fast response

However, I meant as far as the even bigger legendary Tinsel Town names,etc I know a lot about The Queen of the Silent Era: *Mary Pickford-(l893-l979)  As u of all know *Gable & Loy were voted by millions-(20 of 'em)for that 1938 fans poll in movie magazines as King & Queen of Hollywood-(likely too much to the chagrin of *Bette Davis, *N. Shearer & *Joan Crawford) Myrna was voted that honor & the first had a tacky-(as most considered it) ceremony at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer of course hosted by Mr. Nice Guy but Mogul of all Moguls: L.B. Mayer-(l885-l957) Then they had the biggie at El Capitain-(still there, for now anyway) on H. Blvd & *Tracy presented *Clark with his crown at the ceremony. But as far as the Silent Era  Fairbanks, Sr & *Mary were probably if the conducted another poll would easily have been crowned as King & Queen of that glorious & now seemingly forgotten with each passing year of silent cinema.  But when it comes down to it, I disagree with you on *Pickford's name & such being bigger. On that note yet another casualty of HOLLYWOOD, they tore down PIUCKFAIR yrs ago too? & *Chaplin lived on same rd (summit dr)

What do you mean even bigger Tinseltown names? How can you get a bigger name than Mary Pickford? And her career was not limited to silent films. She was an important producer for many years after her last acting role in 1933.

Maybe you are going with names that appear in the tabloids instead of looking at the biggest and most influential stars in Hollywood. It sounds like you might have a bias against silent film stars.

We can agree to disagree on this. Mary Pickford is not forgotten.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

What do you mean even bigger Tinseltown names? How can you get a bigger name than Mary Pickford? And her career was not limited to silent films. She was an important producer for many years after her last acting role in 1933.

Maybe you are going with names that appear in the tabloids instead of looking at the biggest and most influential stars in Hollywood. It sounds like you might have a bias against silent film stars.

We can agree to disagree on this. Mary Pickford is not forgotten.

I agree *Pickford was huge, but the one's-(or are you going by that Mt. Hollywood compilation?) At any rate she is by no means forgotten buddy. & she did make that AFI final top 25 cut of females at #24th in '99-(my personal favorite of the now too many, yet I love them surveys & specials & got the 1st from 1998 & this one for free, though was still a card-carrying AFI member at the time. I asked for a "100 Years...100 Directors" poll & they said at the time they were too busy with the upcoming (2000) one of "100 Laughs" instead-(for those keeping stats & records,etc that SOME LIKE IT HOT was voted the #1 all-time funniest comedy.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

My vote would be Robert De Niro. While he's not my personal favorite I think he's probably the most famous with the most lasting star power. 

Gershwin fan, thanks for checking in, but despite that this was mostly about what others in control may cast votes on vs our own.  It's like predicting the *Oscars each year  PREDICTIONS VS. PREFERENCES & main reason I compile my own ALTERNATE *OSCARS VS. THE *OSCARS  & in those choices of mine my winners did not even need to be officially a nominee that year either, making compiling them much more fun. & somewhat a lot like a book in drastic need of a revision "ALTERNATE OSCARSD" by Danny Peary, which ends for 1991  Another example is Peary thought Wesley Snipes in "New Jack City" deserved Best Actor vs. *Hopkins in *"Silence of the Lambs"-(only on screen a grand total of 22 minutes) So my vote for '91 is Warren Beatty in "Bugsy" & *Sir Anthony really deserved s. actor attention instead of lead.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

My vote would be Robert De Niro. While he's not my personal favorite I think he's probably the most famous with the most lasting star power. 

Though I grew up all over New Jersey I didn't have much of an accent of NY & NJ until yrs later & overdosed on Bobby De's flix  BIG-TIME!

• Haha 1

Truly Spence, 

You could have more proved your point by just mentioning the FIRST names(*or just the last) of those on your list.  Like--- (and even "nicknames")

DUKE

BOGEY

KATE

BETTE

GABLE

CAGNEY

COOP

HARLOW

But too, as there's more truth than comedy in PETER O'TOOLE's line in MY FAVORITE YEAR("I'm NOT an actor, I'm a MOVIE STAR!") , we could say that JOHN WAYNE  is near the top of that list as most of his movies, while one dimensional, were VERY popular among the populace, and what makes a person a "movie STAR" is box office results.  Face it, MORE people, even back in "the day", probably shelled out the bucks to go see Wayne in STAGECOACH or THE FLYING TIGERS than moviegoers did for Olivier in HAMLET or WUTHERING HEIGHTS. ;)

Sepiatone

I recall once taking a random survey of people at my work place regarding their familiarity with the names of ten silent films stars. Now I only asked ten people so, to put it mildly, this survey was hardly scientific.

But virtually all ten knew Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy (who, of course, also worked during the talkies for years, giving them a built in advantage over the others).

Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford had only been heard of by a couple of the people, as well as, surprisingly, Buster Keaton (5 out of 10 knew the name).

Perhaps the biggest surprise to me was that the third best known (8 out of 10) was Rudolph Valentino, even though they may have never have seen a film of his. Valentino died in 1926 yet his name still seemed to register with most people at my work place who had little knowledge of the silent cinema.

I didn't include some names in the survey like John Gilbert or Clara Bow because I knew there wasn't much chance of their fame still living on with the general public.

Rudolph+Valentino%252C+in+%25E2%2580%259

Valentino: his image as the Sheik may be considered a source of campy fun by most today but I have to wonder if many (even non movie fans) are not at least still familiar with the name.

Impossible to say. In the century of cinema so far, there have been such drastic shifts in the audience outside the theater. Sea-changes in society and cultural memory. If you asked this question in the mid-1960s people might have said Bogart even though Bogart had died what, 15 yrs before?

But Bogart and Jerry Lewis and 'noir' and even Buster Keaton all had powerful revivals. Woody Allen's film about Bogart kept him alive long past his actual tenure.

If you asked this question in the mid 1950s many replies might have cited Gable, even though his heyday was already faded. Gable had been making flicks since the 30s. But at that date yes, among the replies you would have received some respondents naming silent stars like Garbo or Valentino.

As the question today? It's a completely different kettle off fish because literally no one recalls anything. The answers are all going to be skewed by the vanishing awareness of history. Its truly shocking in a way; this is the first era where no one has a deeper 'frame-of-reference'... for anything longer ago than their own adolescence.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Impossible to say. In the century of cinema so far, there have been such drastic shifts in the audience outside the theater. Sea-changes in society and cultural memory. If you asked this question in the mid-1960s people might have said Bogart even though Bogart had died what, 15 yrs before?

But Bogart and Jerry Lewis and 'noir' and even Buster Keaton all had powerful revivals. Woody Allen's film about Bogart kept him alive long past his actual tenure.

If you asked this question in the mid 1950s many replies might have cited Gable, even though his heyday was already faded. Gable had been making flicks since the 30s. But at that date yes, among the replies you would have received some respondents naming silent stars like Garbo or Valentino.

As the question today? It's a completely different kettle off fish because literally no one recalls anything. The answers are all going to be skewed by the vanishing awareness of history. Its truly shocking in a way; this is the first era where no one has a deeper 'frame-of-reference'... for anything longer ago than their own adolescence.

Well, at least you didn't say Brian Donlevy. ;)

24 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

A mid-50s episode of I Love Lucy has Lucy's mother (Kathryn Card) exclaim that Francis X. Bushman is her favorite star. This was during an episode where they went to Hollywood. Probably older women in the TV viewing audience at that time still remembered Bushman from his silent film days.

Though some stars vanish from view the audience still remembers them. 

Mae West is another one who despite only making a handful of films continues to be well-known. 

• Like 1