Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is the biggest Movie Star of All-Time?


spence
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I find this selection interesting;    So you view the 4 Hepburn films listed as being better films than these four:   The Letter,  All About Eve,  Jezebel,  and  Now, Voyager?

Hey,  I really like all of those 4 Hepburn films,  but I don't think they are overall,  better films than the 4 Davis listed (or even Kate best films).

I rank The Philadelphia Story,   Holiday,   The African Queen,  and  Pat and Mike higher.

   

 

 

 

Hepburn wasn't in All About Eve 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MusicalsGalore said:

Hepburn wasn't in All About Eve 

Correct,  Davis was: 

So you view the 4 Hepburn films listed as being better films than these four:   The Letter,  All About Eve,  Jezebel,  and  Now, Voyager?

(Hey,  I really like all of those 4 Hepburn films,  but I don't think they are overall,  better films than the 4 Davis listed films (or even Kate best films).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

John Holmes

Way more than Chaplin that's for sure!

But seriously,    I didn't even wish to mention Cruise since he isn't one of top 50 favorite actors of all time,   but that wasn't the question here.

I still say for "old time" actors in is John Wayne and for modern actors it is Cruise.

(and for actresses it would be Monroe and Streep.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Way more than Chaplin that's for sure!

But seriously,    I didn't even wish to mention Cruise since he isn't one of top 50 favorite actors of all time,   but that wasn't the question here.

I still say for "old time" actors in is John Wayne and for modern actors it is Cruise.

(and for actresses it would be Monroe and Streep.

 

Ah, ah, ah, here James.

Back in his day, Chaplin was well rumored to be one of the best "equipped" movie stars working in Hollywood.

Guess you didn't know this, eh? Google it, you'll see.

(...and no, NOT google IMAGE it...just google it and you'll find many stories about this on the net...whew, sure glad I clarified that here!)  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ah, ah, ah, here James.

Back in his day, Chaplin was well rumored to be one of the best "equipped" movie stars working in the movie biz.

(...guess you didn't know this, eh?...google it, you'll see)

Yes, Dargo, Chaplin even had his own movie studio where he hosted kings, queens and Winston Churchill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yes, Dargo, Chaplin even had his own movie studio where he hosted kings, queens and Winston Churchill.

LOL ;)

No Princess, by "equipped" I of course wasn't referring to movie cameras, sets and lighting.

(...YOU know what I meant)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ah, ah, ah, here James.

Back in his day, Chaplin was well rumored to be one of the best "equipped" movie stars working in Hollywood.

Guess you didn't know this, eh? Google it, you'll see.

(...and no, NOT google IMAGE it...just google it and you'll find many stories about this on the net...whew, sure glad I clarified that here!)  LOL

He was equipped to handle the young Lita Grey. :lol: I heard too it was Milton Berle that had those rumors attached. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

"All time" may be the question.  Can you compare Babe Ruth to a baseball star of today?

british-silent-screen-star-charlie-chapl

Above Charles Chaplin returns to London.  Nothing really comes close to the world-wide popularity of the silent star titans.  Douglas Fairbanks drew crowds of thousands when in Europe.

Silent films were universal and the stars of that era had a much bigger fan base than any actor since.

I saw a documentary once about how Chaplin drew crowds during a visit in Berlin during the Nazi era even after Hitler and the regime classified him as Jewish and banned his films. After Berlin was liberated, the first film they showed in theaters was "The Great Dictator." That kind of popularity is unmatched. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume more Chinese have seen private copies of Tom Cruise movies than all the folks that have seen Chaplin on film since the beginning of time.

 

Many people know about Chaplin from being parodied in other movies, TV shows, etc. alone. Tom Cruise does not even come close to that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I've heard that Gary Cooper could rival his horse.

LOL

Okay, now how did this turn in the conversation come about here, I wonder?

Oh wait, THAT'S right...

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

John Holmes

(...Lawrence, I must say I'm shocked, SHOCKED at your hit and run behavior here, my good man!!!)  LOL

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Correct,  Davis was: 

So you view the 4 Hepburn films listed as being better films than these four:   The Letter,  All About Eve,  Jezebel,  and  Now, Voyager?

(Hey,  I really like all of those 4 Hepburn films,  but I don't think they are overall,  better films than the 4 Davis listed films (or even Kate best films).

 

I'll horn in enough to just say my opinion is that not all four Davis films mentioned were her best performances, nor the four Kate Hepburn films either. 

And I'll go on to say that worldwide, and in earlier times, RUDOLPH  VALENTINO  was the hottest commodity on film.  And for generations,  millions who've never seen  a silent movie still heard of and knew who Valentino was.  In every corner of the world.  

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'll horn in enough to just say my opinion is that not all four Davis films mentioned were her best performances, nor the four Kate Hepburn films either. 

Sepiatone

Well of course.   This is why I farmed my post as: "I find this selection interesting;":     I don't believe I have seen anyone list those specific 4 films as being Hepburn's best.

  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Many people know about Chaplin from being parodied in other movies, TV shows, etc. alone. Tom Cruise does not even come close to that.

Hey maybe my assumption is incorrect;  but it appears you're saying that if everyone in the world was shown a picture of Chaplin and Cruise,  more people would recognize Chaplin than Cruise.

I find that very hard to believe but since  I have no evidence (data),  what do I know.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Personal opinions aside, most people today have no clue about the older films, actors, actresses, directors, screenwriters, and many of the important film production people from the Golden Age of Film. When I drive for Uber and when I have the chance to share my ideas about favorite films or important films the conversation usually turns to more recent actors/films. Most people I meet have no clue about older films and they usually will say that they don't like black and white films. When they ask me what my favorite film is and I say 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, they usually say they have never heard of the film or who Errol Flynn was.

It is rather disheartening to learn this, but that is the sign of the times. Now I am making a generalization here but I have to assume that due to everyone having tablets, and or cell phones and many people do watch movies on these devices and or watch Netflix, Hulu or any of the other streaming services, they are just not aware of older films.

I can remember growing up in the 1960's and the only way I can remember watching older films was when the films appeared on tv late at night or on other times like Sunday afternoons. And of course it was rare when my family went to see a movie, usually that was at the local drive-in theater.

Today as I just wrote, many people have many many other alternatives to watching films. Unfortunately most people watch only the new releases and if by chance they stumble upon an older film, it will usually be something like The Godfather films, or something like what they show on TNT or TBS, like the Avenger films.

That is why I think it is vitally important to have channels like TCM that will showcase older films from that bygone era. When I get a chance while driving, I touch upon TCM and tell people that if they have the channel in their cable packages they should give it a chance. Some people ARE knowledgeable about older films, but not many.

Yep, I also run into this very same thing quite often after striking up a conversation about movies with my passengers while doing this part-time shuttle driving gig in retirement between Sedona/Cottonwood and Phoenix, Rey.

When I tell them my favorite film of all time is The Best Years of Our Lives, there's only about a 10 percent chance they'll know of it, let alone have ever seen it. And the surprising thing to me about this is that the primary demographic of my passengers being Boomers such a I.

(...and that's when I'll tell them that their "homework" is to seek this movie out and watch it, and tell them its storyline is as pertinent to today's world as it was in 1946 when it was released)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey maybe my assumption is incorrect;  but it appears you're saying that if everyone in the world was shown a picture of Chaplin and Cruise,  more people would recognize Chaplin than Cruise.

I find that very hard to believe but since  I have no evidence (data),  what do I know.

 

I think the way to look at it is how big a star was Chaplin, Fairbanks or Pickford worldwide  in their time and then Tom Cruise in his.  Everyone in the world was familiar with the first three in their hey day and they were like Gods.  Outside of Scientology circles, I doubt Cruise is thought of a s God.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I think the way to look at it is how big a star was Chaplin, Fairbanks or Pickford worldwide  in their time and then Tom Cruise in his.  Everyone in the world was familiar with the first three in their hey day and they were like Gods.  Outside of Scientology circles, I doubt Cruise is thought of a s God.

Well Bogie, I gotta admit I know a few Catholic, Methodist, Episcopalian and Jewish women, who for some strange reason which I'll never ever understand, think the little guy is the cats pajama's anyway.  LOL

(...but other than THAT, I'm on your said here with Chaplin, dude!) ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well Bogie, I gotta admit I know a few Catholic, Methodist, Episcopalian and Jewish women, who for some strange reason which I'll never ever understand, think the little guy is the cats pajama's anyway.  LOL

(...but other than THAT, I'm on your said here with Chaplin, dude!) ;) 

I watched the movie Chaplin last night.     Now I wonder how many people would see a photo of Robert Downey jr. and say "that's Chaplin!".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...