Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is the biggest Movie Star of All-Time?

spence

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I watched the movie Chaplin last night.     Now I wonder how many people would see a photo of Robert Downey jr. and say "that's Chaplin!".

Probably not many.

Nope, they'd probably say, "HEY, that's Ironman!"

(...considering the thought that Ironman probably made 100 times more money at the box office than the movie Chaplin did, and not to mention all the other big money these other superhero flicks have made in which Downey is playin' that same character)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey maybe my assumption is incorrect;  but it appears you're saying that if everyone in the world was shown a picture of Chaplin and Cruise,  more people would recognize Chaplin than Cruise.

I find that very hard to believe but since  I have no evidence (data),  what do I know.

If you draw a crude sketch of a man with a Chaplin mustache and hat it is more immediately recognizable to more people than a sketch of Cruise. That's what I believe.

• Like 3

To me, the question would mean a "star"  whose image is as recognizable by the general public today as they were during their period of fame.  I think very, very few would meet that standard.

I therefore agree that Chaplin might qualify based upon an iconic image, as would Marilyn.  And perhaps John Wayne and James Dean.  

3 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

To me, the question would mean a "star"  whose image is as recognizable by the general public today as they were during their period of fame.  I think very, very few would meet that standard.

I therefore agree that Chaplin might qualify based upon an iconic image, as would Marilyn.  And perhaps John Wayne and James Dean.  

And, if only because of The Wizard of Oz, Garland. Who hasn't seen the Oz film, and that includes China. There's even a musical tour of it there.

Wizard of Oz touring 8 Chinese cities

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201906/22/WS5d0d95bfa3103dbf14329a82.html

12 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I would say Audrey Hepburn is similar to Marilyn in that both women are used as symbols of glamour  for many generations of women/teenage girls who've probably never seen any of either lady's films. 

image.jpeg.4e1f366ca75870e9a97a83233fbaf93f.jpeg

Elizabeth Taylor didn't go into seclusion like Garbo or die young like Marilyn,  but she graced the covers of magazines for decades with the public following her every marriage, divorce, and illness from her childhood to her death.  She's not my favorite actress but she's the number one movie star in my mind.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've mentioned my disdain, and sadly, nobody here seemed in agreement,  that the word "star" means little anymore in the face of the fact that anyone who posts whatever stupidity on various "social media" outlets( FaceBook,  YouTube,  Snapchat,  Instagram, etc.) and gets over 100 other idiots to click on the "like" option can be considered a "star".   Even an ugly dog on a skateboard.   Next thing you know,  they'll expect special treatment.......   "Why should I  have to wait for a table?....I'm a Tik Tok star!"  :wacko:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I've mentioned my disdain, and sadly, nobody here seemed in agreement,  that the word "star" means little anymore in the face of the fact that anyone who posts whatever stupidity on various "social media" outlets( FaceBook,  YouTube,  Snapchat,  Instagram, etc.) and gets over 100 other idiots to click on the "like" option can be considered a "star".   Even an ugly dog on a skateboard.   Next thing you know,  they'll expect special treatment.......   "Why should I  have to wait for a table?....I'm a Tik Tok star!"  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Lol.  And if you're not a "star" you're an "influencer." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Elizabeth Taylor didn't go into seclusion like Garbo or die young like Marilyn,  but she graced the covers of magazines for decades with the public following her every marriage, divorce, and illness from her childhood to her death.  She's not my favorite actress but she's the number one movie star in my mind.

To the Gen-X and old Millennial generation, Elizabeth Taylor is probably also very well known for her commercials for her White Diamond perfume.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Liz was the only Hollywood "glamor girl" I can recall was a big enough "star"  that on her 40th birthday it was announced in large, bold print on the front page of  The Detroit Free Press.    

LIZ IS 40!"  

I don't recall them doing that for any other Hollywood celebrity.   Not even SHIRLEY TEMPLE.  :o

Sepiatone

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Liz was the only Hollywood "glamor girl" I can recall was a big enough "star"  that on her 40th birthday it was announced in large, bold print on the front page of  The Detroit Free Press.    

LIZ IS 40!"  

I don't recall them doing that for any other Hollywood celebrity.   Not even SHIRLEY TEMPLE.  :o

Sepiatone

Yeah! And ya know, come to think of it here Sepia, I don't remember 'em doin' this for Marilyn Monroe or James Dean!

;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And might NOT have, IF they ever reached 40!  :D 

Sepiatone

That's the thing. As special as Marilyn was, she never had to stand the test of time.  We didn't see her age or attempt movies outside her type cast role of sexy, young blonde. 

Another reason I nominate Liz is that she was cast in so many big block busters like "Cleopatra," and "Giant"  even though she probably wasn't the greatest living actress at the time.  Over and over she was cast primarily for her box office draw  -- that's pure star power.

18 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

That's the thing. As special as Marilyn was, she never had to stand the test of time.  We didn't see her age or attempt movies outside her type cast role of sexy, young blonde. 

Another reason I nominate Liz is that she was cast in so many big block busters like "Cleopatra," and "Giant"  even though she probably wasn't the greatest living actress at the time.  Over and over she was cast primarily for her box office draw  -- that's pure star power.

And that always was kind of sad.  Her stunning performance in VIRGINIA WOOLF  was overshadowed by a public that wasn't ready for an "unglamorous"  Liz Taylor.  And until then nobody really cared whether or not she could really act.  Pretty similar to the ELVIS thing.....

NObody went to an Elvis Presley movie expecting, or wanting to see the "next Olivier".   We guys went to ogle the chicks, and the gals went to swoon over Elvis and hear him sing.  ForGET that those songs hardly qualified him as the "King" of Rock'n'Roll.   The "King" of dopey movie tunes maybe.......  ;) 

But y'all get the gist.  

Sepiatone