Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Hollywood Documentaries

Im4movies2

Back in the 60's and 70's there were two out standing documentaries on the history of Hollywood on commercial tv.  One was Hollywood and the Stars with theme music by Elmer Bernstein and another whose name I forget but it too had theme music by Carl Davis called Up In Lights.  Can TCM acquire these and show them?  I think they were narrated by Joseph Cottton, Henry Fonda and Orson Welles.

The prohibitive clip licensing makes reviving HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS impracticable. Even though United Artists owned the Warner library, the shows did not exclusively feature Warner material. So current owner Warner Bros. would have to renegotiate all those clips.

I can only imagine what had to be gone through to update the couple of MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES programs that were done several years ago. THAT was a wonderful series with superb narration written by Richard Schickel and spoken by Cliff Robertson. I have a complete set of Ektachrome prints that were probably used originally by WNET. The Capra show is my favorite. Really beautiful. The Hitchcock show is the only one that was released commercially - on VHS many years ago.

I have prints of eight or nine of HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS and it's a fine program. Joseph Cotten was the perfect narrator.

The other show you mentioned was HOLLYWOOD, produced by Kevin Brownlow. It was released on VHS and Laser Disc but licensing has prevented DVD release.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings