Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you want for Oscars month?

skimpole

In a couple of  months we'll be seeing the schedule for TCM's Oscar month.  This usually means that a whole host of movies TCM already shows will be seen again, like a lot of Best Picture winners.  So does anyone have any winners or nominees TCM should some to add to the whole host we've seen many times before?

Foreign film nominees:

Pharoah

The Battle of Neretva

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

Black and White in Color

Seven Beauties

Coup de Torchon

Colonel Redl

The Nasty Girl

Open Doors

The Scent of Green Papaya

Costume Design

Ludwig

Fellini's Casanova

Caravans

Velvet Goldmine

Cinematography

King Rat

Day of the Locust

Matewan

A Little Princess

Kundun

The Thin Red Line

Among other categories, I'm actually interested in Ragtime and Coming Home, which I've never seen.  I suppose at one point I'll also have to see The Turning Point which shares, along with The Color Purple, of being the biggest loser in Oscar history (11 nominations and no wins). 

• Like 4

I say this every time it comes up, but I really wish they'd compromise and make it 31 nights Of Oscar and leave the daytime programming open to the 20,000 films out there that didn't get nominated for squat but aren't total bores.

Or they could just dust off GIGI and ICE STATION ZEBRA and GRAN PRIX again and again and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a newer film than usual for TCM, but I think its time for Postcards from the Edge to make its TCM debut. It did play at the 2017 TCM festival to honor the legacy of Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, and while that alone would normally entitle it to a TCM run, you also have the extremely high pedigree of the cast with Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine at the top of their game and a whole raft of celebrity cameos. Its also one of the great films about Hollywood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Another early 90s vintage never on TCM that would be a good pick for TCM: Mr and Mrs Bridge. It was conspicuously absent from the Merchant Ivory month a few years ago, and with its period setting and some of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward's best work, it feels like a natural for the channel.

Yes...would love to see this film on TCM. 

I'm also in favor of Oscar films being limited to evenings, so February birthdays can finally be celebrated during the daytime hours.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I wouldn't even mind Oscar month if they rotated more of the films. Like others said, it's usually the same titles over and over. 

A better idea for this thread would be to list the films from Paramount, Republic and Universal that have had Oscar nominations TCM never plays.

For the most part we are getting 31 Days of MGM, WB & RKO Oscar. It is hardly comprehensive. Not indicative of the excellence the Academy has recognized across all studios.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

A better idea for this thread would be to list the films from Paramount, Republic and Universal that have had Oscar nominations TCM has never played.

For the most part we are getting 31 Days of MGM, WB & RKO Oscar. It is hardly comprehensive. Not indicative of the excellence the Academy has recognized across all studios.

THIS. ABSOLUTELY. It is just going to be every film nominated by those three studios and nothing else. I do think it is time to get rid of this tradition of 24/7 same old same old for 31 days and just put it in prime time for the month as Lorna suggested. After all, TCM just started doing this in the first place because of Robert Osborne's association with the Oscars and thus his enthusiasm and insistence upon the month long festival.  Robert will have been gone from this earth two years this March and gone from the channel for three years.  It is time to let this tradition die or at least tone it down.

1 minute ago, calvinnme said:

THIS. ABSOLUTELY. It is just going to be every film nominated by those three studios and nothing else. I do think it is time to get rid of this tradition of 24/7 same old same old for 31 days and just put it in prime time for the month as Lorna suggested. After all, TCM just started doing this in the first place because of Robert Osborne's association with the Oscars and thus his enthusiasm and insistence upon the month long festival.  Robert will have been gone from this earth two years this February and gone from the channel for three years.  It is time to let this tradition die or at least tone it down.

Another problem with this is they make it seem like Oscar is the only type of film-related award. They don't play up the Golden Globes or the BAFTAS. Or best picture awards for other countries. The whole thing feels lopsided to me and because it focuses so much on the those three studios, it's not even comprehensive about Hollywood!

• Like 1

Totally agree.  If TCM is going to continue the Oscar month, I agree to keep it to night time so birthdays can be celebrated during the day.  And let's mix it up with some nominees from the other studios instead of just the usual suspects.  I also like the idea of presenting overlooked talent that has never been nominated and/or never won.  Use your imaginations, TCM programmers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

Totally agree.  If TCM is going to continue the Oscar month, I agree to keep it to night time so birthdays can be celebrated during the day.  And let's mix it up with some nominees from the other studios instead of just the usual suspects.  I also like the idea of presenting overlooked talent that has never been nominated and/or never won.  Use your imaginations, TCM programmers!

Excellent post.

Another thing we should mention is that a lot of the wraparounds, all year long, play up the fact that such and such film or such and such director or actor was nominated for an Oscar. So they are doing more than 31 Days of Oscar...they are doing 365 Days of Oscar. Not a day goes by on TCM without a host mentioning a film's Oscars or Oscar nominations. The whole thing is over emphasized year round. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Another problem with this is they make it seem like Oscar is the only type of film-related award. They don't play up the Golden Globes or the BAFTAS. Or best picture awards for other countries. The whole thing feels lopsided to me and because it focuses so much on the those three studios, it's not even comprehensive about Hollywood!

I do want to say there are always a couple of surprises every year, something from Fox or Universal or a modern movie you might not have been expecting. You have to dig deep to find them sometimes, but there's almost always a nugget or two there. It clearly appears to be harder than anyone on these message boards wants to work to find, given the extreme, overwhelming hate for 31 Days among message board members. I feel sad and isolated year after year as if I'm the format's only defender. I do wish there was even more diversity. But at the risk of appearing pathetic, I do hold out hope and look forward optimistically to each year's lineup.

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I do want to say there are always a couple of surprises every year, something from Fox or Universal or a modern movie you might not have been expecting. You have to dig deep to find them sometimes, but there's almost always a nugget or two there. It clearly appears to be harder than anyone on these message boards wants to work to find, given the extreme, overwhelming hate for 31 Days among message board members. I feel sad and isolated year after year as if I'm the format's only defender. I do wish there was even more diversity. But at the risk of appearing pathetic, I do hold out hope and look forward optimistically to each year's lineup.

Glad you're optimistic. But in a way you are corroborating what some of us have been saying. It should be about Oscar across the studios, since the Academy looks at films from all studios and gives awards to all studios. If the TCM viewers have to dig through the schedule to find films from Universal or Paramount, then that tells us the TCM programmers are not exactly providing a comprehensive survey of Oscar winners across studios.

One token Paramount film (usually a Billy Wilder movie) or two token films from Fox (usually Elia Kazan movies) give off a false sense of diversity and representation across studios. They are continuously neglecting excellence recognized by the Academy in so many areas because of their business model, their budget and the fact they are mostly using films they have in their library they air year round every year. 

All these films made by Republic Pictures were nominated for Oscars. Except for THE QUIET MAN, TCM never airs any of them during 31 Days of Oscar.

ARMY GIRL (drama)
Oscar nominee for cinematography, score and sound.

BEHIND THE NEWS (drama)
Oscar nominee for best sound. 

BRAZIL (musical comedy)
Oscar nominee for Best Score, Song and Sound.

BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY (drama)
Oscar nominee for Best Story. 

CRAZYLEGS (biopic)
Oscar nominee for editing. 

DARK COMMAND (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Art Direction and Score. 

THE DEVIL PAYS OFF (drama)
Oscar nominee for Best Sound.

THE FIGHTING SEABEES (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Score. 

FLAME OF BARBARY COAST (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Sound and Score. 

FLYING TIGERS (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Sound, Score and Special Effects.

HENRY BROWNE FARMER (documentary)
Short film Oscar nominee. 

HIT PARADE OF 1941 (musical)
Oscar nominee for Best Score and Song. 

HIT PARADE OF 1943 (musical)

HITCHHIKE TO HAPPINESS (musical)

ICE-CAPADES (musical drama)

IN OLD OKLAHOMA  (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Score and Sound. 

JOHNNY DOUGHBOY (musical)

MAN OF CONQUEST (western biopic)
Oscar nominee for Best Interior Decoration, Sound and Score. 

MANHATTAN MERRY-GO-ROUND (musical)
Oscar nominee for Best Art Direction.

MERCY ISLAND (adventure)

MOONRISE (drama)

$1000 A MINUTE (comedy)

PORTIA ON TRIAL (drama)

THE QUIET MAN (romantic comedy drama)
Oscar winner for Best Director and Best Cinematography; also nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Art Direction and Best Sound. 

RIDIN’ ON A RAINBOW (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Song.

SANDS OF IWO JIMA (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Editing and Best Sound.

SHE MARRIED A COP (comedy)

SINGING GUNS (western)

STORM OVER BENGAL (war film)

UNDER WESTERN STARS (western)

WOMEN IN WAR (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Visual Effects. 

YOUTH ON PARADE (musical comedy)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this applies but the AFI list of the 100 greatest films of all time should be what they dedicate for the '31 Days of Oscar'. Seeing on how most of them are Oscar winners and nominations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Movies

Namely those which weren't on the list nor got a Oscar win but were controversial and should have won.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

All these films made by Republic Pictures were nominated for Oscars. Except for THE QUIET MAN, TCM never airs any of them during 31 Days of Oscar.

ARMY GIRL (drama)
Oscar nominee for cinematography, score and sound.

BEHIND THE NEWS (drama)
Oscar nominee for best sound. 

BRAZIL (musical comedy)
Oscar nominee for Best Score, Song and Sound.

BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY (drama)
Oscar nominee for Best Story. 

CRAZYLEGS (biopic)
Oscar nominee for editing. 

DARK COMMAND (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Art Direction and Score. 

THE DEVIL PAYS OFF (drama)

THE FIGHTING SEABEES (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Score. 100 mins. B&W.

FLAME OF BARBARY COAST (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Sound and Score. 91 mins. B&W.

FLYING TIGERS (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Sound, Score and Special Effects.

HENRY BROWNE FARMER (documentary)
Short film Oscar nominee. 

HIT PARADE OF 1941 (musical)

HIT PARADE OF 1943 (musical)

HITCHHIKE TO HAPPINESS (musical)
Oscar nominee for Best Score. 71

ICE-CAPADES (musical drama)

IN OLD OKLAHOMA  (western)
Oscar nominee for Best Score and Sound. 

JOHNNY DOUGHBOY (musical)

MAN OF CONQUEST (western biopic)
scar nominee for Best Interior Decoration, Sound and Score. 

MANHATTAN MERRY-GO-ROUND (musical)
scar nominee for Best Art Direction.

MERCY ISLAND (adventure)

MOONRISE (drama)

$1000 A MINUTE (comedy)

PORTIA ON TRIAL (drama)

THE QUIET MAN (romantic comedy drama)
Oscar winner for Best Director and Best Cinematography; also nominated for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Art Direction and Best Sound. 

RIDIN’ ON A RAINBOW (western)

SANDS OF IWO JIMA (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Editing and Best Sound.

SHE MARRIED A COP (comedy)
scar nominee for Best Score. 

SINGING GUNS (western)

STORM OVER BENGAL (war film)

UNDER WESTERN STARS (western)

WOMEN IN WAR (war film)
Oscar nominee for Best Visual Effects. 

YOUTH ON PARADE (musical comedy)

TCM DID air Moonrise during 31 Days in 2010. I know, because I recorded it. Granted, according to MovieCollectorOH's database, it's the only time that movie has aired in the network's history, but that's a perfect example of what I mean by a surprise or two every year. Sands of Iwo Jima  used to be a 31 Days regular, but it hasn't aired since 2010. I have some hope some the recent Republic spotlight might mean we'll see some of these movies in next February's schedule.

• Thanks 1

Some more titles that would be nice to see in 31 days....

From Paramount: Valiant is the Word for Carrie (1936), Skippy (1930), The Big Pond (1929, but is this a lost film or not?), Wild is the Wind (1957), Arise My Love (1940), Northwest Mounted Police (1940), Lady in the Dark (1944), A Medal for Benny (1945),  Kitty (1946), Here Comes the Groom (1951), Knock on Wood (1954), Red Garters (1954), The Joker is Wild (1957)

From WB: White Banners (1938)

From Fox: State Fair (1933), The Affairs of Cellini (1934), East Lynne (1931), The White Parade (1934), Kentucky (1938), The Pied Piper (1942)

From Universal: Isadora (1968), One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937), When Tomorrow Comes (1939), Louisa (1950), Genevieve (1953), Pete N Tillie (1972)

From Columbia: Death of a Salesman (1951, if rights are ironed out), Porgy and Bess (1959, same reason), No Sad Songs for Me (1950), The L-Shaped Room (1963)

From UA: The Bachelor Party (1957), Lonelyhearts (1958), The Dark Angel (1935), Monsieur Verdoux (1947), Champion (1949), Comes a Horseman (1978)

From RKO: The Blue Veil (1951, if it can be cleared from rights entanglement)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The Big Pond (1929, but is this a lost film or not?)

No, it's not lost. I watched it (and gave it a 7/10). I can't recall if it was on the old rarefilmm website (it's not on the current one) or it may have been on YouTube.

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Some more titles that would be nice to see in 31 days....

From Paramount: Valiant is the Word for Carrie (1936), Skippy (1930), The Big Pond (1929, but is this a lost film or not?), Wild is the Wind (1957), Arise My Love (1940), Northwest Mounted Police (1940), Lady in the Dark (1944), A Medal for Benny (1945),  Kitty (1946), Here Comes the Groom (1951), Knock on Wood (1954), Red Garters (1954), The Joker is Wild (1957)

From WB: White Banners (1938)

From Fox: State Fair (1933), The Affairs of Cellini (1934), East Lynne (1931), The White Parade (1934), Kentucky (1938), The Pied Piper (1942)

From Universal: Isadora (1968), One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937), When Tomorrow Comes (1939), Louisa (1950), Genevieve (1953), Pete N Tillie (1972)

From Columbia: Death of a Salesman (1951, if rights are ironed out), Porgy and Bess (1959, same reason), No Sad Songs for Me (1950), The L-Shaped Room (1963)

From UA: The Bachelor Party (1957), Lonelyhearts (1958), The Dark Angel (1935), Monsieur Verdoux (1947), Champion (1949), Comes a Horseman (1978)

From RKO: The Blue Veil (1951, if it can be cleared from rights entanglement)

Nice, thorough list. A few of these have aired on TCM in the past. NO SAD SONGS FOR ME aired once as part of a Margaret Sullavan tribute. KITTY has aired at least twice, but it's been awhile. I think ARISE MY LOVE aired as part of Ray Milland's Star of the Month tribute. KENTUCKY aired as part of Loretta Young's Star of the Month tribute.

Most of the UA titles you mentioned are in the TCM library and have aired, except for CHAMPION, which I believe is controlled by Paramount.

STATE FAIR '33 did air during 31 Days of Oscar a few years ago. JOKER IS WILD aired one evening when Mitzi Gaynor hosted an evening with Robert Osborne. WHITE BANNERS currently has rights issues but used to air on TCM quite frequently.

But yes, I agree, it would be nice to see all these films again on TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings