Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Poster Libel

Arrowsmith

9 minutes ago, darrylfxanax said:

I found this lobby card in the bin at Larry Edmonds several years ago.  I bought, and hung it, since I've always been fond of the film.  However, when I look at it on the wall of my guest room, I am drawn to how unattractive Lana's legs and feet appear, especially since her legs were one of her best features.  Is it just me?  The Acapulco setting would explain their deep tan, but somehow they look so unnatural.

lana.jpg

Agreed. It looks like they superimposed Lana’s torso on somebody else’s legs. In fact, Lana herself doesn’t even look like she belongs in the picture. It looks like she was added as an afterthought. 

13 minutes ago, darrylfxanax said:

I found this lobby card in the bin at Larry Edmonds several years ago.  I bought, and hung it, since I've always been fond of the film.  However, when I look at it on the wall of my guest room, I am drawn to how unattractive Lana's legs and feet appear, especially since her legs were one of her best features.  Is it just me?  The Acapulco setting would explain their deep tan, but somehow they look so unnatural.

lana.jpg

Eeh! Who'd wanna look at Lana Turner's legs when they can look at Stefanie Powers' gorgeous face instead here, I ask?!

;)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

I hate posters that MISLEAD!

Yeah, calling the DeLaurentiis Kong "Exciting"...  :D

Still, if we're talking Misleading:  Anyone who's discovered Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli anime through the dubbed Disney DVD's (or occasional TCM airings, or if they're good Fathom supporters), it wasn't always that easy to promote--

fcf75b7e0882469b6696acd6ae6313e9_700x259

Take the time Roger Corman tried to sell an early dub of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) as more of an early 80's sci-fi matinee:

warriorswind.jpg

It's Nausicaa (there, at the back, all grown up)!  It's Clash of the Titans!  It's Dune!  It's Parasite!  It's...what the heck is Skeletor doing there??  ?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yeah, calling the DeLaurentiis Kong "Exciting"...  :D

Still, if we're talking Misleading:  Anyone who's discovered Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli anime through the dubbed Disney DVD's (or occasional TCM airings, or if they're good Fathom supporters), it wasn't always that easy to promote--

fcf75b7e0882469b6696acd6ae6313e9_700x259

Take the time Roger Corman tried to sell an early dub of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) as more of an early 80's sci-fi matinee:

warriorswind.jpg

It's Nausicaa (there, at the back, all grown up)!  It's Clash of the Titans!  It's Dune!  It's Parasite!  It's...what the heck is Skeletor doing there??  ?

Lol.  This poster does very much resemble images from He-Man Masters of the Universe.

MV5BY2UxYzA3Y2YtZTkxMi00Yjk0LWIzNmQtNWI3MjQ0ODc1MDU3L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg

I really hate this poster:

91rEINCEnNL._RI_SX200_.jpg

Kay Francis looks okay, very Princess Leia-esque... But what did they do to Flynn? Actually this is one of my least favorite Flynn films.  Even he couldn't save it.  For me, he and Francis didn't "work" as a couple for me--no chemistry.  And I don't know what the makeup and/or lighting people were doing, but for me, Errol didn't even seem as attractive as normal.  There was too much soft focus on him, or too much stage makeup, or I don't know.  He looked almost porcelain-like and I just didn't find him as attractive--I don't know.  He looked fine in some scenes and in others, he looked like a doll or something. I don't know. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What happened to Kate's face?

21465-the-little-minister-0-230-0-345-cr

Yep, good question here, Lawrence.

And in fact, when asked about this very poster, Hepburn herself reportedly said...

"Now, I don't rally look like that, do I?!"

(...btw...I also do a great Kate impression with that whole "the calla lillies are in bloom again" line too...but then again, you might say who can't, huh!)  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Wow.  That poster looks like someone painted it without ever having seen a picture of Katharine Hepburn.  She strangely looks a lot like Ann-Margret (with a swollen face).  

Ya know speedy, I think you're right about that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That's Ingrid Bergman?

MV5BNmQxYWNkMjEtMWU1Zi00M2FiLWFjYTctZTgx

And in the same vein that speedy thought (and I agreed) the earlier poster that's supposed to be Kate Hepburn in The Little Minister actually looked more like Ann-Margret, I now think this poster that supposed to be an image of Ingrid Bergman actually looks more like Judy Garland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

And in the same vein that speedy thought (and I agreed) the earlier poster that supposed to be Kate Hepburn in The Little Minister actually looked more like Ann-Margret, I now think this poster that supposed to be an image of Ingrid Bergman actually looks more like Judy Garland.

I was thinking Judy Garland too before I read your comment!

• Like 1

0003eBay.jpg

I'm only posting this one not so much because of any injustice done to MM here, but solely because whoever the french artist was(as this poster appears to be for french movie audiences) that painted THIS poster surely could have double-checked the spelling of Miss Peters' first name before he took brush in hand.

Nope, as far as I know, Jean Peters (and who btw, always did a heck of lot more for me than Marilyn ever did...but then again by now I think you folks know how much more I've always gone for brunettes than I ever have blondes, real or bleached...but I digress) never ever went by the name "Jeanne Peters", and yet Frenchy Boy artist here whoever he was, has MM's and Joseph Cotten's names spelled correctly.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, Spritz Nipper said:

I watched Shadow Of The Thin Man again this morning, and was once again disgusted by the way the illustrator portrayed the beautiful Myrna Loy on the film's main poster. Maybe it's just me, but she looks terrible on this poster.

What are some other examples of movie posters that do their stars no favors?

The offending poster:
1200px-Shadow_of_the_Thin_Man.jpg

This is a toughie! As a portrait artist, usually the most important thing is that people can recognize the object of the portrait. But often, a portrait is obviously picturing a certain person and is easily recognized, but it has a ham-fisted quality done by a less than competent artist and not someone like the Leyendeckers, and is not the least bit complimentary. Like when Lyndon Johnson, when confronted with a portrait for the White House of himself, said it was the ugliest thing he'd ever seen!

I do think we expect more idealized portraits of stars in movie posters, unless they are portraying Gustav von Seffertitz or Lucille LaVerne?

On 9/27/2018 at 2:21 PM, speedracer5 said:

Agreed. It looks like they superimposed Lana’s torso on somebody else’s legs. In fact, Lana herself doesn’t even look like she belongs in the picture. It looks like she was added as an afterthought. 

Personally I think it looks just like Lana's legs, but in an older version from her days in "The Postman Always Rings Twice" but who cares when what is really upsetting is that moving version of Errol Flynn which you have for your picture, which is driving me crazy since he is so utterly attractive!!!!!!

Please remove it. I can't take the constant torture of his pulchritude.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

This is a toughie! As a portrait artist, usually the most important thing is that people can recognize the object of the portrait. But often, a portrait is obviously picturing a certain person and is easily recognized, but it has a ham-fisted quality done by a less than competent artist and not someone like the Leyendeckers, and is not the least bit complimentary. Like when Lyndon Johnson, when confronted with a portrait for the White House of himself, said it was the ugliest thing he'd ever seen!

I do think we expect more idealized portraits of stars in movie posters, unless they are portraying Gustav von Seffertitz or Lucille LaVerne?

20 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

1200px-Shadow_of_the_Thin_Man.jpg

Yeah, but ya gotta admit the artist sure got Asta's better features down pretty well here anyway, CG!

AND, little Dickie Hall there probably never looked better than he does there either, for that matter. And especially after he went through those awkward adolescent years like all kid actor do.

(...well, except of course for Liz and Natalie) ;)

On 9/27/2018 at 11:42 AM, hamradio said:

Not all artist are Norman Rockwell.

You really wouldn't want Norman Rockwell to be painting any attractive ladies on movie posters, as he himself always said he could not draw glamour queens well, and was better at doing character types like Edna May Oliver or women with receding chinlines. Now if it is a film with Zasu Pitts and Patsy Kelly, Rockwell could do them up right.