Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cinecrazydc

Ted Turner

Recommended Posts

I read the news today that Ted Turner has a brain disease known as Lewy body dementia.  While I realize that Ted long ago sold his interest in TCM to Time Warner, the TCM channel was his brainchild and I think he deserves to be acknowledged at the festival on opening night.  Given the status of his health, I am not sure if he would be able (or willing) to come to the festival even if invited.  But I think he should be given the appropriate credit for having the foresight to preserve classic films and get the channel off to a great start in 1994.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/29/ted-turner-billionaire-founder-cnn-battling-brain-disease.html

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, cinecrazydc said:

I read the news today that Ted Turner has a brain disease known as Lewy body dementia.  While I realize that Ted long ago sold his interest in TCM to Time Warner, the TCM channel was his brainchild and I think he deserves to be acknowledged at the festival on opening night.  Given the status of his health, I am not sure if he would be able (or willing) to come to the festival even if invited.  But I think he should be given the appropriate credit for having the foresight to preserve classic films and get the channel off to a great start in 1994.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/29/ted-turner-billionaire-founder-cnn-battling-brain-disease.html

Unfortunately, I've known about it for a few months. It was evident on a Jane Fonda docu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not certain of his age though, maybe 81 or older?   Someone us TCM-ITES are fond of, as was her legendary husband *PAUL NEWMAN-(l925-2008) *JOANNE WOODWARD-(l930-) is not doing well from same condition!

She was very first star to be given a STAR on HOLLYWOODS WALK-Of-FAME too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, looney4tcm said:

Thanks Ted and thanks Time Warner for keeping it commercial free.  Keep supporting TCM merchandise.

TCM is a subsidiary of AT&T's WarnerMedia. 

Hopefully little to nothing changes but sadly AT&T has a history of making changes when it takes over a brand.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize AT&T was connected to Time Warner.  I do NOT say the following lightly or recklessly:  I have observed first hand AT&T incrementally, systematically break down, ruin and now destroy Directv.  I've spoken to many of the Directv employees and contractors to confirm my suspicions.  Hopefully TCM will give the higher level bosses a chance to redeem themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, looney4tcm said:

I didn't realize AT&T was connected to Time Warner.  I do NOT say the following lightly or recklessly:  I have observed first hand AT&T incrementally, systematically break down, ruin and now destroy Directv.  I've spoken to many of the Directv employees and contractors to confirm my suspicions.  Hopefully TCM will give the higher level bosses a chance to redeem themselves.

One of my closes friends works for DirectTV and did so before AT&T purchased them and your suspicions are on-target.

Hopefully TCM,  being such a small-fry (among the many companies owned by AT&T),  goes under the radar.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ghost Host said:

I wonder if TCM Wine Club ads are related to AT&T taking over

TCM had those ads before the take over.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, cinecrazydc said:

I read the news today that Ted Turner has a brain disease known as Lewy body dementia.  While I realize that Ted long ago sold his interest in TCM to Time Warner, the TCM channel was his brainchild and I think he deserves to be acknowledged at the festival on opening night.  Given the status of his health, I am not sure if he would be able (or willing) to come to the festival even if invited.  But I think he should be given the appropriate credit for having the foresight to preserve classic films and get the channel off to a great start in 1994.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/29/ted-turner-billionaire-founder-cnn-battling-brain-disease.html

He;s now had it about 3yrs now. Jane Fonda recently had a special on HBO & included him in it.

 

There are many new meds to slow it down though    Alzheimers is a smaller form on Dementia

 

I see where it's mainly caused by lack of oxygen to the grain, lack of sleep & genetics

 

 

"IT'S THE ONE DISEASE WE SON'T LOOK WORWARD TO BEING CURED OF"

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how Time Warner (or whatever conglomeration is taking over) would want to run a no commercial format. Maybe it is why TCM has branched out with books and video and a wine club. There are also many films that I would never consider as being classic, that are being shown. I have nothing but respect for Ted Turner.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, looney4tcm said:

 

Thanks Ted and thanks Time Warner for keeping it commercial free.  Keep supporting TCM

 

He made it possible for all ages enjoyed movies without commercials 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...