Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"They Shall Not Grow Old"

LawrenceA

I just saw this, and thought some around here would be interested, for a variety of reasons:

Trailer: Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old”

The trailer has been released for “They Shall Not Grow Old,” Peter Jackson’s World War I documentary which features some superbly restored century-old film footage shot during The Great War.

Jackson and his team took black and white footage from the BBC and Imperial War Museums’ archives, cleaned up the prints and digitally colorised it – the result showing details that have never been seen before.

The clip shows comparisons of the original and restored footage as well. Jackson uses the voices of the men involved in the film which shows the grim realities of war on the front line as well as the soldier’s attitudes towards the conflict.

“They Shall Not Grow Old” is set to premiere on October 16th in the U.K. with a special Q&A with Jackson and then opens to European theaters.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/trailer-peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The ending of World War I will be commemorated across Europe in November. The English National Opera will be presenting a performance of Benjamin Britten's "War Requiem," which features the poetry of Wilfred Owen, who is, along with Siegfried Sassoon, greatest of World War I poets.

Owen wrote passionately and realistically about the horrors of war. He went to fight, was wounded, went home to hospital, returned to fight, was killed a week before the armistice. I assume his poetry is featured in the new documentary.

GettyImages-96806527.jpg?auto=compress,e

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I just saw this, and thought some around here would be interested, for a variety of reasons:

Trailer: Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old”

The trailer has been released for “They Shall Not Grow Old,” Peter Jackson’s World War I documentary which features some superbly restored century-old film footage shot during The Great War.

Jackson and his team took black and white footage from the BBC and Imperial War Museums’ archives, cleaned up the prints and digitally colorised it – the result showing details that have never been seen before.

The clip shows comparisons of the original and restored footage as well. Jackson uses the voices of the men involved in the film which shows the grim realities of war on the front line as well as the soldier’s attitudes towards the conflict.

“They Shall Not Grow Old” is set to premiere on October 16th in the U.K. with a special Q&A with Jackson and then opens to European theaters.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/trailer-peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old/

I think this is fabulous!

Normally I am not into colorized film, since I love black and white cinematography and think it is perfection. But that is because it was done as an artistic measure to begin with, whereas colorizing documentary type film footage, if it helps to distinguish details, I'm fine with and would applaud.

Thanks for the heads up on this project!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

So is this thing colorised or colorized?

Well, Peter Jackson the director of this thing is a New Zealander, isn't he Rich?

AND, those Kiwis spell words just like those superfluous-u users do over there on those islands situated off the coast of continental Europe, do they NOT?!

(...and so in THIS case I supposed you could say this thing is "colorised", could you NOT?!)

;)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Well, Peter Jackson the director of this thing is a New Zealander, isn't he Rich?

AND, those Kiwis spell words just like those superfluous-u users do over there on those islands situated off the coast of continental Europe, do they NOT?!

(...and so in THIS case I supposed you could say this thing is "colorised", could you NOT?!)

;)

colourised

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OOPS! Yeah, you're right!

(...forgot about that needless 'u' in that word there TOO, didn't I?!) ;) 

Actually other English speaking countries do spell it colour but WE have to be special. ;)

So in the UK, this old TV series would had been "The FBI - In Colour". :P

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Actually other English speaking countries do spell it colour but WE have to be special. ;)

So in the UK, this old TV series would had been "The FBI - In Colour". :P

maxresdefault.jpg

No ham, it's not that "we [Yanks] have to be special"(not withstanding that whole "American Exceptionalism" thing here, of course ;) ), but it's that almost two centuries ago now, one Noah Webster came up with the rightful idea that words such as these are not pronounced as "Col-our" but as "Col-or", and thus the letter 'u' was not needed when spelling such words.

(...yeah yeah, I know...seems those poor Brits will never understand this sort'a thing in a million years, huh...they're much too "tradition-bound" over there, ya know) ;)

26 minutes ago, Arturo said:

The spelling "colour" we must've inherited from the Norman dialect of Old-French when they ruled a good portion of Britain.  It probably reflected the dipthong pronunciation of the second syllable vowel element.  

I think you should change your name to Artouro ...

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

What incredible attention to detail and loving care went into this production.
This is far and above the exacting process of "restoring" old and degraded nitrate film.
After painstakingly getting each hand cranked film segment down to a "normal" speed (recreating the missing frames to fill in the gaps) Peter Jackson employed skilled lip readers to "see" what these soldiers were saying at that time.
Then, according to regiment, he employed regional accented voice "actors" to read those lines, which were then synched into the movie, along with authentic sounds garnered from the actual weapons and machines stored in  various war museums. The "colourisation" process was likewise rendered as authentic as possible from the appropriate uniforms and equipment of the era.
The end result, as seen in the various displayed snippets, is breathtaking... As Jackson himself said, these people come "alive" off the screen as never before. They have become the "us" of yesteryear and are now as contemporary as yesterdays news.
I am already so incredibly moved by what I have seen, and am so looking forward to one day experiencing the entire presentation. 
Hopefully this program will be made available for the masses to "watch" and "hear" on DVD very soon!

Thank you Lawrence, for bringing this to our attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, a lot of talk on here about the colorization, but I'm more fascinated by the attempt to add sound as authentically as possible from an era when of course there was no sound on film.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, Stephan55 said:

What incredible attention to detail and loving care went into this production.
This is far and above the exacting process of "restoring" old and degraded nitrate film.
After painstakingly getting each hand cranked film segment down to a "normal" speed (recreating the missing frames to fill in the gaps) Peter Jackson employed skilled lip readers to "see" what these soldiers were saying at that time.
Then, according to regiment, he employed regional accented voice "actors" to read those lines, which were then synched into the movie, along with authentic sounds garnered from the actual weapons and machines stored in  various war museums. The "colourisation" process was likewise rendered as authentic as possible from the appropriate uniforms and equipment of the era.
The end result, as seen in the various displayed snippets, is breathtaking... As Jackson himself said, these people come "alive" off the screen as never before. They have become the "us" of yesteryear and are now as contemporary as yesterdays news.
I am already so incredibly moved by what I have seen, and am so looking forward to one day experiencing the entire presentation. 
Hopefully this program will be made available for the masses to "watch" and "hear" on DVD very soon!

Thank you Lawrence, for bringing this to our attention.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, Stephan55 said:

It looks like the film will have a brief release in December:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/peter-jackson/277595/peter-jackson-s-they-shall-not-grow-old-comes-to-theaters-in-december

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings