Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Todd Killings (1971)

cigarjoe

Anybody ever hear of this film? I haven't

On IMDb it gets either a 1/10 or a 8,9,10/10. This isone of the of weaknesses of TCM. It's films like this that should get an uncut screening. And you know that with the amount of repeats they could squeeze these in somewhere.

A 1971 psychological thriller directed by Barry Shear. I've noticed that some of the reviews mention that they only saw cut versions.

The Todd Killings

Here is the cast:

Robert F. Lyons 
Richard Thomas 
Belinda Montgomery 
Barbara Bel Geddes
James Broderick 
Gloria Grahame 
Holly Near
Ed Asner -
Fay Spain - Mrs. Mack
Michael Conrad - Detective Shaw

Storyline (from IMDb)
Based on the true story of '60s thrill-killer Charles Schmid ("The Pied Piper of Tucson"), Skipper Todd (Robert F. Lyons) is a charismatic 23-year old who charms his way into the lives of high school kids in a small California town. Girls find him attractive and are only too willing to accompany him to a nearby desert area to be his "girl for the night." Not all of them return, however. Featuring Richard Thomas as his loyal hanger-on and a colorful assortment of familiar actors in vivid character roles including Barbara Bel Geddes, Gloria Grahame, Edward Asner, Fay Spain, James Broderick and Michael Conrad.

Someone with the link check if it was screened ever by TCM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Anybody ever hear of this film? I haven't

On IMDb it gets either a 1/10 or a 8,9,10/10. This isone of the of weaknesses of TCM. It's films like this that should get an uncut screening. And you know that with the amount of repeats they could squeeze these in somewhere.

A 1971 psychological thriller directed by Barry Shear. I've noticed that some of the reviews mention that they only saw cut versions.

The Todd Killings

Here is the cast:

Robert F. Lyons 
Richard Thomas 
Belinda Montgomery 
Barbara Bel Geddes
James Broderick 
Gloria Grahame 
Holly Near
Ed Asner -
Fay Spain - Mrs. Mack
Michael Conrad - Detective Shaw

Storyline (from IMDb)
Based on the true story of '60s thrill-killer Charles Schmid ("The Pied Piper of Tucson"), Skipper Todd (Robert F. Lyons) is a charismatic 23-year old who charms his way into the lives of high school kids in a small California town. Girls find him attractive and are only too willing to accompany him to a nearby desert area to be his "girl for the night." Not all of them return, however. Featuring Richard Thomas as his loyal hanger-on and a colorful assortment of familiar actors in vivid character roles including Barbara Bel Geddes, Gloria Grahame, Edward Asner, Fay Spain, James Broderick and Michael Conrad.

Someone with the link check if it was screened ever by TCM.

Boy, you tricked me there since I was thinking this was a movie about Thelma Todd and possibly solving her murder by indicting Pat DiCicco or someone else close to her.

Just checked the IMDB and Google and saw that this case inspired the movie "Smooth Talk" with Treat Williams and Laura Dern which I have seen. TTK does sound interesting and I'd watch any movie with both Fay Spain and Gloria Grahame in it. I did notice a preponderance of cast members who are more from television series in this film, like Asner, Broderick, Conrad, Thomas and Montgomery but of course Bel Geddes is a veteran of both. Also noticed its director had a plethora of tv credits as director.

This is the type of film that would play well at the drive-in and look forward to seeing it sometime, maybe as a Halloween spooker on some cable channel this month? Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Cigar Joe. I thought I'd read every book on serial killers but this guy, Schmid's MO was new to me.

It's on a well known streaming site also but in tv ratio looks like a multi generated copy of a VHS tape. The film is surprisingly well made, you'd think it would have been more juvenile given the subject and the time period.

It at times felt like an updated Psycho combined at one point with Ace in the Hole.

It actually comes off well. Gloria Grahame and Barbra Bel Geddes are nice to see and Richard Thomas and Robert F. Lyons are great. 

It may be worth a DVD purchase just to see it in the correct aspect ratio. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings