Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And the "Tony Award" Goes To...

NickAndNora34

Spielberg has now found his Tony for his upcoming "West Side Story" film remake (which is unsettling to me, to say the least, but oh well). 24 year old actor Ansel Elgort (of "Fault in Our Stars" and "Divergent" fame) will be playing the coveted role. 

http://www.playbill.com/article/ansel-elgort-to-star-in-west-side-story-remake-from-steven-spielberg

Image result for ansel elgort

I don't quite know how to feel about this... I know Elgort has a great voice for pop/jazz music, but I'm unsure about whether or not he can pull off such a difficult role to sing. I believe Tony is traditionally played by a tenor. 

Thoughts? 

He can’t be worse than Richard Beymer right? 

I like “West Side Story,” but mostly for the supporting cast. Between Natalie Wood’s affected Latina accent and Richard Beymer’s weak singing, the leads are the weakest part of the film. I love Rita Moreno and Russ Tamblyn though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

He can’t be worse than Richard Beymer right? 

I like “West Side Story,” but mostly for the supporting cast. Between Natalie Wood’s affected Latina accent and Richard Beymer’s weak singing, the leads are the weakest part of the film. I love Rita Moreno and Russ Tamblyn though. 

A singer named Jim Bryant sang for Richard Beymer in this film... But I agree: his voice wasn't that good. Beymer, Wood, Moreno, and Tamblyn were all dubbed in this. 

*Apparently Moreno's dubber, Betty Wand, was sick one day, so Marni Nixon had to record both the parts for Maria and for Anita at the end of the Quintet. 

9 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

A singer named Jim Bryant sang for Richard Beymer in this film... But I agree: his voice wasn't that good. Beymer, Wood, Moreno, and Tamblyn were all dubbed in this. 

*Apparently Moreno's dubber, Betty Wand, was sick one day, so Marni Nixon had to record both the parts for Maria and for Anita at the end of the Quintet. 

With all due respect to Nixon, her voice sounds very out of place in many of the films that she sings in.  I'm thinking especially of Natalie Wood's Maria in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn's Eliza in My Fair Lady.

Re: Tony's voice.  It just isn't strong enough for the songs he sings.  I'm especially thinking of songs like "Tonight" and "Somewhere."

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

With all due respect to Nixon, her voice sounds very out of place in many of the films that she sings in.  I'm thinking especially of Natalie Wood's Maria in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn's Eliza in My Fair Lady.

Re: Tony's voice.  It just isn't strong enough for the songs he sings.  I'm especially thinking of songs like "Tonight" and "Somewhere."

I feel like Nixon did a fantastic job dubbing for Deborah Kerr in "The King and I." The voices seem to match almost perfectly. 

Yeah, they really should have gotten a stronger singer for dubbing Tony. His voice gets really weak around the higher notes. Oh, well. We can't exactly go back in time and re-cast the film (unfortunately). 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings