Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There are two musical numbers that are particular favorites of mine that June did. One is Varsity Drag from "Good News" and Now, Baby Now from "The Opposite Sex." She always seemed to really enjoy performing her musical numbers.

Terrence.

*There are two musical numbers that are particular favorites of mine that June did. One is Varsity Drag from "Good News" and Now, Baby Now from "The Opposite Sex." She always seemed to really enjoy performing her musical numbers.*

i know! it really does show on her face that she enjoys her dancing and singing. its to cute! i think she especially loves to dance. i read that she was injured when she was a toddler from a big branch falling on her and she made herself walk and run and dance again by dancing to fred astaire and ginger rogers movies......i thouht that was so incredible!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> junie was America's sweetest girl next door!

>

> her girl next door musicals that are my favorites are

>

> Good News and Two Girls and a Sailor. those are way too cute!

>

> 451249_june-allyson-gloria-de-haven-two-sisters-a-sailor1.jpg

>

> good-news-190-75.jpg

>

> i love her best with van johnson.

Funny, to me, that you should include that photo. My late mother couldn't stand June Allyson, and she would always say that Gloria De Haven should have been the big star, not June Allyson. I like them both.

> {quote:title=Terrence1 wrote:}{quote}

> There are two musical numbers that are particular favorites of mine that June did. One is Varsity Drag from "Good News" and Now, Baby Now from "The Opposite Sex." She always seemed to really enjoy performing her musical numbers.

>

> Terrence.

Terrence,

Those are great numbers! I also like "Cleopatterer" from Till the Clouds Roll By (and it is also included in That's Entertaintment! III, I believe.

It is true that she nearly died from that accident. She was 8 years old. I can't think of anyone else in film that constantly had a smile on her face while in front of a camera. Does anyone have a favorite number of hers? Mine is Treat Me Rough from Girl Crazy (1943).

oh thank you for reminding me what age she was when that accident happened! i have her autobiography but havent read it in a few years and forgot what age she was. her autobio is actually an excellent book! i found it very touching and cried through a lot of it. of course she had a great sens of humor too and i laughed through a lot of it, especially with her relationship with Judy Garland in their early years. heehee!

*I can't think of anyone else in film that constantly had a smile on her face while in front of a camera.*

she apparently was also really good at crying in front of the camera, especially with Maragret O "Brien being in a movie with her. they used to call them the crying twins. heehee! but when she wasnt being told to cry for her films, she was all smiles!! i love thaty about her. she has a very expressive face and could get to the person watching her exactly what she is thinking just in one expression.

*Treat Me Rough from Girl Crazy (1943).*

thats one of her really good ones! great choice!

i think my favorite of hers woul have to be The Young Man With a Horn in Two Girls and a Sailor, b/c she's so playful in that number and dances like noone is watching with one of the soldiers in their canteen. she flips over him and slides under him and twirls the heck out of her dres and its just a fun little number!

*Funny, to me, that you should include that photo. My late mother couldn't stand June Allyson, and she would always say that Gloria De Haven should have been the big star, not June Allyson. I like them both.*

what a pleasant surprise!!

hey John!

why didnt she like Junie?

her and Gloria DeHaven were in a few movieis together. i thought they complimented each other quite nicely. i also love the number they sing together in Thousands Cheer. that's a good one! but i also like the movies Goria did without Junie. Gloria has a gorgeous voice and i wish MGM would use her more in movies than they did.

with your taste, you must love Gloria's voice. :)

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

Those are great numbers! I also like "Cleopatterer" from Till the Clouds Roll By (and it is also included in That's Entertaintment! III, I believe.

Here's a photo of June Allyson and Ray McDonald from the film:

28.jpg

Message was edited by: OurGangFanatic

Message was edited by: OurGangFanatic

I also love her in the 4 films she co-stars with Mickey Rooney:

Babes In Arms, Strike Up The Band, Babes On Broadway, and Girl Crazy.

Seeing the first 2 were different from the last 2. She had trouble wanting Mickey to have affection towards her. Obvious is Strike Up The Band, he's too preoccupied with the band and is distracted by a blonde who's playing easy to get. That's why I see a batter chance with Judy and Larry Nunn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzh58pwT0jY. However it becomes different in Babes On Broadway where Mickey charms Judy. And then in Girl Crazy Judy doesn't fall for Mickey, at first.