Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Margaret Lockwood Tonight (FRI 5th)

Hibi

Looking forward to seeing her again in the mystery/thriller "The Lady Vanishes" (1938) with Sir Michael Redgrave and Dame May Whitty (pictured below). The film was one of Sir Alfred Hitchcock's last British productions before he headed off to Hollywood.

Image result for the lady vanishes

In addition to the terrific The Lady Vanishes, the evening with Margaret Lockwood also includes another very entertaining thriller, Night Train to Munich, directed by Carol Reed (The Fallen IdolOdd Man OutThe Third ManOliver!).

Besides Ms. Lockwood, the two movies also have three other things in common: they both involve trains, both were written by Sidney Gilliat and Frank Launder, and both feature the great comic characters Charters and Caldicott (played by Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne).  (Thanks to jakeem for noting the train connection, which I didn't think about.  I miss the most obvious things sometimes.)

Launder and Gilliat worked together as writers, producers, and/or directors on over 40 movies, including ones produced by their Individual Pictures company.  Among their notable movies are I See a Dark Stranger (Deborah Kerr, Trevor Howard), Green for Danger (Alistair Sim), the outstanding The Happiest Days of Your Life (Mr. Sim and Margaret Rutherford), and The Belles of St. Trinian's (again with Mr. Sim).

I'd love to see TCM have an evening of Launder and Gilliat films, especially The Happiest Days of Your Life, which is a real gem and is too seldom seen.  (It's not available on disc in the US.)

• Like 3

Loved the whole evening! Hadnt seen Night Train to Munich and The Wicked Lady before and enjoyed both. I'd never seen Rex Harrison so YOUNG! (can see why he earned the nickname Sexy Rexy!) It was funny how they rode the coattails of Lady Vanishes with 2 of the supporting players in both. Absolutely LOVED Wicked Lady. Had heard about it for years, but never saw it. (Lady Vanishes, of course, I've seen many times, but watched it again). 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings