Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Night Monster

Janet0312

This premieres on Lugosi's night, I believe. The 24th at 10:30 EST. I hope you all get to see it and voice your opinions. It's one of my favorite films of all time. Of ALL time, I say! I know we've discussed it here before, but I'd love to hear from some folks who haven't seen it before. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Janet,

I would just like to take the time to say how glad I am that you’re alive. You may know this, but a very beloved poster here who went by the name of Mcannady (sp?) recently passed away. Apparently, her first name was Janet so when someone posted a thread that said “RIP JANET” I had two thoughts:

1. Damn

2. Didn’t she just reply to me this morning in another thread? Damn, that is one committed horror fan posting from beyond the grave!

Glad to see you’re still in the mortal coil, even if I must politely disagree with you with regard to NIGHT MONSTER, But the good Lord knows we horror fans are committed in our likes and dislikes.

The combination of Clarence Upson Young (writer) and Ford Beebe (director) ensured that NIGHT MONSTER would be a pedestrian horror entry. Both were far better suited to westerns. The themes explored in NIGHT MONSTER, including metaphysics and paranoia would have been far better handled by the likes of Siodmak and (Roy William) Neill.

Lionel Atwill was properly pompous but Francis Pierlot was just idiotic most of the time with his glandular non-sequiturs. Lugosi was completely wasted in an almost insulting character assignment. I think Frank Reicher, Leif Erickson and Janet Shaw get the acting honors in this one. Everyone else was just way over the top. Oh, and I forgot to mention Irene Hervey and Don Porter. I guess they were forgettable.

Despite all of the above, NIGHT MONSTER is a fun penny dreadful with (albeit clumsily edited) good Salterization on the soundtrack. It's just a shame that the whole business wasn't taken more seriously by Universal.

PS - this is a good example where a good second-tier player like Robert Homans, who usually plays beat cops in A pictures, gets promoted to Sheriff in a B picture!

23 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

The combination of Clarence Upson Young (writer) and Ford Beebe (director) ensured that NIGHT MONSTER would be a pedestrian horror entry. Both were far better suited to westerns. The themes explored in NIGHT MONSTER, including metaphysics and paranoia would have been far better handled by the likes of Siodmak and (Roy William) Neill.

Lionel Atwill was properly pompous but Francis Pierlot was just idiotic most of the time with his glandular non-sequiturs. Lugosi was completely wasted in an almost insulting character assignment. I think Frank Reicher, Leif Erickson and Janet Shaw get the acting honors in this one. Everyone else was just way over the top. Oh, and I forgot to mention Irene Hervey and Don Porter. I guess they were forgettable.

Despite all of the above, NIGHT MONSTER is a fun penny dreadful with (albeit clumsily edited) good Salterization on the soundtrack. It's just a shame that the whole business wasn't taken more seriously by Universal.

PS - this is a good example where a good second-tier player like Robert Homans, who usually plays beat cops in A pictures, gets promoted to Sheriff in a B picture!

I agree. I like it because the dialogue kills me. As does Leif Erickson. 

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2018 at 7:37 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Janet,

I would just like to take the time to say how glad I am that you’re alive. You may know this, but a very beloved poster here who went by the name of Mcannady (sp?) recently passed away. Apparently, her first name was Janet so when someone posted a thread that said “RIP JANET” I had two thoughts:

1. Damn

2. Didn’t she just reply to me this morning in another thread? Damn, that is one committed horror fan posting from beyond the grave!

Glad to see you’re still in the mortal coil, even if I must politely disagree with you with regard to NIGHT MONSTER, But the good Lord knows we horror fans are committed in our likes and dislikes.

Gee. And I just got my social security papers in the mail letting me know that I can retire comfortably when I'm 90.

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings