Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scott Wilson (1942 - 2018)

LawrenceA

Scott Wilson has died at the age of 76 after a battle with leukemia. Wilson first came to prominence with his role as Richard Hickock in 1967's In Cold Blood. He made his film debut that same year in the Oscar-winning In the Heat of the Night. He went on to appear in many noteworthy films over the next several decades, including The Gypsy Moths (1969), The Grissom Gang (1971), The Great Gatsby (1974), The Ninth Configuration (1980), The Right Stuff (1983), Johnny Handsome (1989), Dead Man Walking (1995), Monster (2003), and Hostiles (2017). He also garnered attention on television, with a recurring role in the highly successful CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, and on The Walking Dead for 3 seasons.

ColdBloodSFW.gif?itok=1cJVBbe5

Walking-Dead-Scott-Wilson-640x370.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

IN COLD BLOOD and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT are the only movies I know of with him.  What role did he play in THE RIGHT STUFF?  I've seen it many times, but don't recall him.  :(

Seemed to me to be a sort of "poor man's" DENNIS HOPPER, but with enough talent and presence of his own to have gone farther and bigger than he wound up doing.  

I certainly do wish him to Rest In Peace.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

IN COLD BLOOD and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT are the only movies I know of with him.  What role did he play in THE RIGHT STUFF?  I've seen it many times, but don't recall him.  :(

Seemed to me to be a sort of "poor man's" DENNIS HOPPER, but with enough talent and presence of his own to have gone farther and bigger than he wound up doing.  

I certainly do wish him to Rest In Peace.

Sepiatone

In a movie in which Scott Glenn portrayed astronaut Alan Shepard, Ed Harris played John Glenn and Sam Shepard was test pilot Chuck Yeager, Wilson appeared as Scott Crossfield. He was a pioneer test pilot like Yeager.

Image result for scott crossfield the right stuff

Right Stuff Bell X1A2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

In a movie in which Scott Glenn portrayed astronaut Alan Shepard, Ed Harris played John Glenn and Sam Shepard was test pilot Chuck Yeager, Wilson appeared as Scott Crossfield. He was a pioneer test pilot like Yeager.

Image result for scott crossfield the right stuff

Right Stuff Bell X1A2.jpg

I thought scott Wilson played the guy that yeager was always asking for a stick of Beeman's chewing gum.

:huh:

On 10/7/2018 at 10:27 AM, NipkowDisc said:

I thought scott Wilson played the guy that yeager was always asking for a stick of Beeman's chewing gum.

:huh:

No. That was Levon Helm, the singer-drummer from The Band and a sometime actor. He narrated "The Right Stuff" and portrayed the real-life test pilot Jack Ridley -- Yeager's right-hand man in the movie.

Helm, who died in 2012 at the age of 71, also appeared in the 1980 screen bio "Coal Miner's Daughter" as the father of Loretta Lynn (portrayed by Sissy Spacek in her Oscar-winning performance).

Image result for levon helm the right stuff

The Arkansas-born Helm performed "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" in "The Last Waltz" -- Martin Scorsese's 1978 documentary about The Band's "farewell" concert in 1976.

• Thanks 1

Oh, no. I was always a fan of Scott Wilson, who looked more like a Southerner than just about any other actor. I once went to a drive-in showing of Castle Keep (not a terribly good movie) just because he was in it.

He absolutely deserved an Oscar nomination for In Cold Blood and would have been a perfectly acceptable winner.

• Like 4

At #NYCC, the announcement was made little more than an hour before news of Scott Wilson's death that he would reprise his role as Hershel in season nine of @WalkingDead_AMC

• Sad 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, kingrat said:

Oh, no. I was always a fan of Scott Wilson, who looked more like a Southerner than just about any other actor. I once went to a drive-in showing of Castle Keep (not a terribly good movie) just because he was in it.

He absolutely deserved an Oscar nomination for In Cold Blood and would have been a perfectly acceptable winner.

kingrat, do you mean for lead or support?

Not to argue though but 1967 ranks under only 1962, 55 & of course a cinematic year never to be equaled (1939)

For lots of quality releases>*"IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT" "GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER" "B & C" "THE GRADUATE" & much to the hatred of Robert Blake because IN COLD BLOOD got a few nods but not the biggie, instead they nommed "DOCTOR DOLITTLE" in the 5th slot instead & he was furious, as usual actually.

ACTOPR: *ROD STEIGER, TRACY-(probably within 1 to 2 votes behind *ROD), HOFFMAN, BEATTY & NEWMAN

& S. ACTOR WAS: *KENNEDY, HACKMAN, MICHAEL J. POLLARD, CECIL KELLAWAY & 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings