Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE POST - MERYL STREEP, TOM HANKS

papyrusbeetle

quite an experience! 1971 re-created.

It doesn't TOUCH the drama and clarity of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, though. (Though this film is a tribute to INVISIBLE women--Katherine Graham doesn't appear, and most of the newspaper females hand research work in, seen only by their HANDS, not to distract us from the heroic 2 Male reporters who "break" the story).

Perhaps the reason is it was easy to ignore the "Pentagon Papers" at the time (lots of other horrors going on at the same time)

But "WATERGATE" was impossible to ignore---it was a drama that went on and on for years, with a cast of thousands, each more creepy and fascinating and odd than the last.

I had some beefs with this movie, mostly technical stuff, which we ASSUME is the great strength of a period piece. It's not.

1) all respect to wonderful Tom Hanks, he can't ATTEMPT to challenge an actor like Jason Robards (who played Ben Bradlee in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN).

2) in 2 separate scenes, Meryl Streep (Katherine Graham)  comes to a restaurant table and the men seated do not stand up to greet her. Is this supposed to portray the complete "boorishness" of the Ben Bradlee character? Katherine Graham is not only a LADY, she is rich and a newspaper owner. This REALLY killed the "authenticity" of the movie for me.

3) Ben Bradlee's wife (played by Sarah Paulson), attractive and well-dressed, is WAY TOO well-dressed for hanging out at home, and working in her pottery/sculpture studio. She is dressed in a full-skirted shirtwaist dress with a belt. Looks new. This is NOT realistic. It's also not a dress to stretch out on a sofa in, or to work in with messy clay, etc.

4) Endearing of Speilberg to make script and visual points about Women's Liberation with Streep's issues and triumphs.

This is ONE facet of the film where the costuming is perfect. Streep's character is told through her costuming---it doesn't need extra emphasis.

But by 1971, many women in all fields had succeeded in male-dominated ( which everything on earth is ) business settings--AND in committee meetings, board meetings, faculty meetings, etc.

cf: MOMMIE DEAREST(1981), when Joan Crawford sits with the Pepsi, Inc. board.

[addressing the men in the Pepsi boardroom]

Joan Crawford: Don't **** with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings