Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cherokee Nation: Elizabeth Warren's DNA Test Is 'Inappropriate'

Cherokee Nation: Elizabeth Warren's DNA Test Is 'Inappropriate'

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) responded to President Donald Trump’s relentless ridicule on Monday by releasing the results of a DNA test that she says proves she has Native American ancestry.

But now she is coming under criticism from the Cherokee Nation, which says DNA tests are not appropriate to determine tribal citizenship.

Warren’s critics first raised doubts about her claim of Native American ancestry during her 2012 Senate campaign. Trump has kept the controversy alive by repeatedly calling the senator “Pocahontas” in his appearances across the country.

Warren took a DNA test from 23andMe and had the results analyzed by Carlos D. Bustamante, a Stanford University professor.

“The vast majority” of Warren’s ancestry is European, but “the results strongly support the existence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor” six to 10 generations ago, Bustamante said.

Chuck Hoskin Jr., secretary of state of the Cherokee Nation, said Warren was “undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.”

“A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship,” Hoskin said. “Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person’s ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong.”

This whole claim sounded fishy right from the beginning, and a DNA test being analyzed by a California professor is even fishier.

50 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

yeah, one ancestor 10 generations ago.

:lol:

I'm certain she's part Viking if go back far enough.  :wacko:

My ancestry goes back to Adam and Eve (10,000 generations ago) which may explain my craving for apples. :P

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

She really should not have doubled down on this. The fact the DNA came back as 1/1,000th American Native makes her look very foolish. 

Maybe but technically she was correct about her ancestry.  Please remember back in the day if a person had "one drop" of Negro blood they were considered Black.  Now it would be nice if Trump coughed up the million bucks he promised to the charity of her choice (which he denies making but it's on tape) and both of them shut up about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

She really should not have doubled down on this. The fact the DNA came back as 1/1,000th American Native makes her look very foolish. 

Well, she did only claim to have Native American ancestry,  and indeed, even only 1/1,000th IS proof of ancestry.  She never did claim as to having "tribal citizenship".  

I'm with ChristineHoard up there.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Trump won't let up on it. Bullies never do unless they are somehow bullied themselves into quitting.

But Warren at least showed that her claim of native ancestry is not bogus, even if it is by only a small degree.

She can also make a claim to transparency, unlike a certain slimeball who won't release his income tax forms (undoubtedly for self preserving reasons). Eventually, I'm sure, though, they will eventually see the light of day after the midterms. Anyone want a bet about Russia connections?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Elizabeth Warren might have actually made things worse with her DNA gambit

Twenty-four hours after Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren shocked the political world with a five-minute video (and a mountain of documentation) aimed at putting to bed the controversy over her claims of Native American heritage, it's becoming increasingly clear the strategy amounts to a swing and a miss.

Warren's goal was to take the issue of her heritage off the table for nervous Democrats and to show that she was ready, willing and able to stand up to President Donald Trump if and when the time came that she was the party's nominee against him in 2020. The problem is that, when you strip away all of the glitz of her well-produced video, you are left with this: There's still no certainty that Warren is, in any meaningful way, Native American.

Yes, Stanford geneticist Carlos Bustamante tells Warren in the video that "the facts suggest that you absolutely have a Native American ancestor in your pedigree." But the estimates of just how much Native American blood Warren actually posses range from 1/64th to a whopping 1/1024th. Which, um, ain't a lot.

Trump himself picked up on that uncertainty in a series of tweets (of course) on Tuesday morning.

"Pocahontas (the bad version), sometimes referred to as Elizabeth Warren, is getting slammed," tweeted Trump. "She took a bogus DNA test and it showed that she may be 1/1024, far less than the average American. Now Cherokee Nation denies her, 'DNA test is useless.' Even they don't want her. Phony!"

(Trump is referring to this statement from Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr.: "A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person's ancestors were indigenous to North or South America.")

She is not native American, and should not be using that to describe herself when everybody knows it. This is a total lack of respect for those who suffered through and deserve to be recognized for their real heritage.

• Thanks 1

Did Elizabeth Warren Plagiarize Her 'Pow Wow Chow' Recipes?

The credibility of Massachusetts Democratic  Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren took another hit today as Boston radio talk show host Howie Carr released evidence that appears to confirm Ms. Warren may have plagiarized at least three of the five recipes she submitted to the 1984 Pow Wow Chow cookbook edited by her cousin Candy Rowsey.

Two of the possibly plagiarized recipes, said in the Pow Wow Chow cookbook to have been passed down through generations of Oklahoma Native American members of the Cherokee tribe, are described in a NewYork Times News Service story as originating at Le Pavilion, a fabulously expensive French restaurant in Manhattan. The dishes were said to be particular favorites of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Cole Porter.

The two recipes, “Cold Omelets with Crab Meat” and “Crab with Tomato Mayonnaise Dressing,” appear in an article titled “Cold Omelets with Crab Meat,” written by Pierre Franey of the New York Times News Service that was published in the August 22, 1979 edition of the Virgin Islands Daily News, a copy of which can be seen here.

Ms. Warren’s 1984 recipe for Crab with Tomato Mayonnaise Dressing  is a word-for-word copy of Mr. Franey’s 1979 recipe.

Mrs. Warren’s 1984 recipe for Cold Omelets with Crab Meat contains all four of the ingredients listed in Mr. Franey’s 1979 recipe in the exact same portion but lists five additional ingredients. More significantly, her instructions are virtually a word for word copy of Mr. Franey’s instructions from this 1979 article. Both instructions specify the use of a “seven inch Teflon pan.”

It looks like she stole the recipes just like she stole the Cherokee heritage she claims. I'm hoping she is running for President now, we can use some good entertainment.

Recipe stealing? That's the best ya got, Mad One?

We live in a surreal world of political partisanship today in which, to some, it's okay for a President to be, among a myriad collection of character flaws, a racist, a man who had a policy of separating children from their parents and a woman abuser, having one of his affairs while his wife was pregnant

At the same time, though, it's not okay if a politician of a different party affiliation may have stolen a cooking recipe 30 years ago.

I realize the latter is petty stuff, not to be taken seriously. Still, that's the indiscretion that some Trump supporters would choose to emphasize while conveniently ignoring and refusing to address all of those involving their own candidate.

Talk of this nature is circular. It goes no where except to further illustrate how many are deeply dug into their tribal ditches and are beyond a rational discussion. They merely want to point fingers at the other person.

In 1995, an article in the Harvard Crimson celebrated Warren as “Native American.”
Then, a 1996 piece in Fordham Law Review celebrated Warren as Harvard Law School’s “first woman of color.”
On top of this, there is also a 1999 Affirmative Action Plan Book published by Harvard that appears to identify Warren as Native American. Her name is not listed, but it could not possibly be anyone else.
The Boston Globe reported Monday that during “her academic career as a law professor, she had her ethnicity changed from white to Native American at the University of Pennsylvania Law School.”
Warren also did the same at “Harvard University Law School, where she was a tenured faculty member starting in 1995.”
But the far-left Politico reported in 2012 that “for several years, ending in 1995” Warren “described herself as a minority on a law professors’ listings.
So here is Warren, between 1984 and 1995, parading around as a Native American, as a Cherokee, and doing so in the most public ways possible — in books and in school directories. But in 2012, she says she has no idea how her employers discovered she identified as American Indian or that she was even being celebrated by Harvard as an all-important first in the Diversity Olympics.

How dumb must be the people of Harvard and Boston be to believe she was native American?

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Recipe stealing? That's the best ya got, Mad One?

We live in a surreal world of political partisanship today in which, to some, it's okay for a President to be, among a myriad collection of character flaws, a racist, a man who had a policy of separating children from their parents and a woman abuser, having one of his affairs while his wife was pregnant

At the same time, though, it's not okay if a politician of a different party affiliation may have stolen a cooking recipe 30 years ago.

I realize the latter is petty stuff, not to be taken seriously. Still, that's the indiscretion that some Trump supporters would choose to emphasize while conveniently ignoring and refusing to address all of those involving their own candidate.

Talk of this nature is circular. It goes no where except to further illustrate how many are deeply dug into their tribal ditches and are beyond a rational discussion. They merely want to point fingers at the other person.

Warren is going to run for President and this is her way of getting ahead of the fraud she created.    Get the DNA results out there now and by 2020 this nothing story will be forgotten  (yea,  this is nothing story that Warren made worst by doubling down on her lie). 

As for conveniently ignoring;   you do that just as much as anyone,  but only when it comes to Dems.

While Trump is everything you say he is,   that wasn't the point of this thread: Hey,  mister Tribal man on steroids,  play a song for me,,,,,,

1 hour ago, HIGHWAY said:

And your not tribal Tom, come on.

So predictable. You have no answers so you finger point.

To view Trump as a dictator-loving moral disaster does not make me tribal. It means I think America and the world needs something better. Whether that means a Democrat or another Republican or even an independent, something better than this man is needed in the White House.

Those who ignore his constant attacks on the media that dares to criticize him (in turn, send out messages to other world autocrats, including the Saudis) should take another look at their own value systems. And why do they ignore/agree with his attacks on the free press? Because Trump is "their man." Call it tribal or personality cult worshiping, whatever. It boils down to the same thing.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:10 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Nice to see that there are others that don't have TDS,  24\ 7.

Warren played identity politics and it backfired (as it typically does).

The best examples are here in CA, where due to the primary process,  two Dems end up against each other in the general and trip all over their so called identity.    E.g.  Loretta Sanchez going up against Kamala Harris in 2016.   After Obama supported Harris,  Sanchez said that he did so only because they were both black.   Also to counter Harris, and like Albright did with Clinton,  Sanchez implied that if one is Latino,  one had to vote for her.    Sanchez also went to an Indian reservation and did a hoo-hoo chant as a way of showing support for the community!    Note that Sanchez didn't run in 2018 against Feinstein, since her political career is toast after 2016.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

So predictable. You have no answers so you finger point.

To view Trump as a dictator-loving moral disaster does not make me tribal. It means I think America and the world needs something better. Whether that means a Democrat or another Republican or even an independent, something better than this man is needed in the White House.

Those who ignore his constant attacks on the media that dares to criticize him (in turn, send out messages to other world autocrats, including the Saudis) should take another look at their own value systems. And why do they ignore/agree with his attacks on the free press? Because Trump is "their man." Call it tribal or personality cult worshiping, whatever. It boils down to the same thing.

Tom, as James said, " As for conveniently ignoring;   you do that just as much as anyone,  but only when it comes to Dems." if you can't see this, you have blinders on. Every time I see you bring up tribalism I think of you and your  unconditional support of Hillary. You talk about looking at ones " own value systems" well what about all the war mongering Presidents we had in the recent past? Only the 39th President deserve praise.

7 minutes ago, HIGHWAY said:

Tom, as James said, " As for conveniently ignoring;   you do that just as much as anyone,  but only when it comes to Dems." if you can't see this, you have blinders on. Every time I see you bring up tribalism I think of you and your  unconditional support of Hillary. You talk about looking at ones " own value systems" well what about all the war mongering Presidents we had in the recent past? Only the 39th President deserve praise.

Please point out one statement of mine of "unconditional support for Hillary." Good luck in your search.

I oppose the moral obscenity currently in the Oval Office. I never made a continuing series of pro-Clinton statements. Your memory serves you ill because that is simply not true. I have always been anti-Trump, never pro Hillary, towards whom I was generally indifferent  (though,obviously, I wish she had won the election instead).