Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Certain Discussion Regarding a Certain Movie Named "The Wizard of Oz"

Mario500

A certain TV program for WPMI-TV in the city of Mobile in the state of Alabama appeared to have had what might or might not had been a discussion involving erroneous information regarding the movie named "The Wizard of Oz" originally released through a certain company named Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in the calendar year 1939 (hyperlink to transcript of the discussion).

I'd just watched Bubby's young-hoofer contract days in the MGM "Broadway Melody" musicals, and he wouldn't have been bad (except for the more primitive earlier makeup, even if they had used the healthier version, and that Ebsen's singing wasn't...really...that great)--Ebsen specialized in a sort of easygoing tall long-leggedy tap, not as wild as Ray Bolger's "eccentric" style, but still for funny country-boy effect. 

Watching Ebsen in a long-leggedy tuxedo cut a few steps with young Judy Garland in the climax of Broadway Melody of 1938, you know where the studio got the idea for casting.  :)

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Poor Bubby Ebsen.

Yeah, well speedy, don't feel too sorry for ol' Bubby.

Remember here, he'd go on to even greater fame and fortune on that old TV sitcom The Beberly Hillbillies.

(...and not to mention his other later and long running TV series, Barbaby Jones)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:D 

My ex's kid brother, who sadly passed a year before she did( 2003-2004 respectively) was a weird little kid, prone to misunderstanding certain words or song lyrics( he once asked his Mom upon hearing the opening to the song "Maria" on the car radio:  "Mom, why is that man singing DI-RRHEAH?" )  anyway....

He used to call the show "The BUBBLY Hillbillies"!  :D   And too...

There WAS a guy in my old Southwest Detroit neighborhood named CARL that(for some reason I never discovered)  people used to call "Bubby".  I thought it was a corruption of  "BUBBA" since he was of Southern origin. And considering the "Bubby" thing DID originate in a discussion taking place in ALABAMA, well......  ;) 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings