Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cats Movie 2019

NickAndNora34

It was recently announced that Tom Hooper will be directing a film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Cats" musical. Taylor Swift, Idris Elba, James Corden, and Jennifer Hudson have all been announced to be in the film. 

I am not a huge fan of "Cats" in the first place, but I honestly don't have any idea what to expect from this adaptation. I have no idea what prompted this adaptation in the first place... We'll see, I guess. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/idris-elba-cats-movie-adaptation-1202982098/

Thoughts? 

17 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I am not a huge fan of "Cats" in the first place, but I honestly don't have any idea what to expect from this adaptation. I have no idea what prompted this adaptation in the first place... We'll see, I guess. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/idris-elba-cats-movie-adaptation-1202982098/

I don't think the producers know either--I know it's a project that's baffled producers into limbo hell literally since the late 80's, and was either an early warning sign or helped contribute to the brief "Death" of movie musicals in the 90's.  Just call it blind stubbornness.
(Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods and Phantom of the Opera were also supposed to be movies in the late-80's and early 90's, and there was talk of "La Cage Aux Folles", but all died either of ridiculous studio-hell ideas, or stage unions' new crackdown on waiting for the stage show to close.)

At one point it was going to be an animated musical; at another, John Travolta was going to be Rum Tum Tugger.  Finally, Andrew Lloyd Webber formed a video production unit out of his Really Useful Company, and gave us not-too-bad direct-video stage concerts of Cats, Joseph/Dreamcoat and Jesus Christ Superstar in '98-'00.  

Like Starlight Express (which our local youth-theater group tried staging on a high-school sized stage ? ), Cats isn't really a Webber musical you CAN translate to film outside of its stage gimmicks, and at best would probably end up looking as weird as the "Godspell" movie.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, drednm said:

It also has Ian McKellen in it. I can already smell Hudson's ruining "Memory" with that hideous singing style that doesn't hold a note.

Ian McKellen would be Gus, the Theater Cat, the role reserved for old British actors (like Sir John Mills in the '98 direct-video).  Especially as they don't have to dance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drednm said:

It also has Ian McKellen in it. I can already smell Hudson's ruining "Memory" with that hideous singing style that doesn't hold a note.

I like McKellen. I think Jennifer Hudson has a great voice, but I don't think she's right for Grizabella in general. She left me rather empty after her turn as Motormouth Maybelle in "Hairspray Live," so I honestly don't know how she's going to do in this. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings