Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Star Is Born 4th remake is somewhere in between

spence

I went to it day it opened & rate it just about a full good (strong **1/2-out of four stars) rehash.

& of course most have by now & even months prior to the release that LADY GA GA makes her silver-screen debut in this one & & I don't like saying this, she's a stronger & more natural actress then MADONNA whom made her debut with the fun 1985 DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN ($27m.) (***)  Actually MADONNA made her actual debut in an utterly stunningly awful  flick that wasn't an official studio release from 1979 A CERTAIN SACRIFICE (*)  when she was just 21  Though it should still be checked-out, especially for her fans on the internet, to see just how terrible it is & for her. LADY GA GA doesn't seem to be reading her lines & unlike LOUISE-(MADONNA) & unlike GA GA-(you should see her actual name, ultra-long & also Italian) she has emotion up there. in reality MADONNA's_(who greatly assisted in helping LADY GA GA with her career with a made up hatred between the duo, taking it to extreme lengths on SNL once, battling each other. I had no idea this talented lady was 28yrs her junior either.

Actually '96's *OSCAR winning EVITA ($51mn.) (***) was perfectly cast for her because all sang throughout the epic 7 she won a G. Gbe for it, but no *AMPAS nomination

Overall first time director BRADLY COOPER did a fine job here & was pretty ok in the musical/drama too.  & vet Sam Elliot is again strong as his older bro. & most already talk 2018 *OSCAR nods for this, I don't see it though. But a couple songs will  likely make the cut.  Definately worth seeing & particularly on the big screen though.  She truly brings the house down with a couple songs

NOW MY PERSONAL RUN-DOWN OF THE PREVIOUS VERSIONS>

1937 A STAR IS BORN (Selznick/UA) (***1/2) & won William "Wild " Bill his only Golden statuette for it's writing. Not a fan at all though of our very first *ACADEMY AWARD WINNER *JANET GAYNOR-(l906-84)( though, winning in 1929-(honoring 1927-28 motion pictures) for Best Actress for 3 films at then just Fox Studios-Until '35 when it became 20th Century Fox)

1954 A STAR IS BORN (warner Bros.) (****-stars!) (obviously the best of the lot & always cited among *Oscars Sins of Omission for JUDY, losing Best Actress to *GRACE KELLY in THE COUNTRY GIRL)

1976 A STAR IS BORN (strong **1/2) (1st I may add that *STREISAND must be listed among all-time singers in anything she does & known to be thee movie ELVIS was long not only her but producers as THE MAN! they truly wanted for the Kris Kistofferson role, but once again his mgr COL. TOM PAKER butted his way into it all??? I think ELVIS really & not his fault he always obeyed PARKER no matter what, woulda' been perfecto in that role myself. & took home an *OSCAR for the beautiful number EVERGREEN.  The newest version took in just over $100m. to date)

(HONORABLE MENTION):

1932's WHAT PICE, HOLLYWOOD  (this is never included on this flix & had almost same plot with C. BENNETT & LOWELL SHERMAN. (TRIVIA: In virtually all talks of HOLLYWOODS MOST OBNOXIUOUS & EGO RIDDLED STARS HER NAME IS ALWAYS INCLUDED, ON OTHER HAND MOST LOVED HER SIS J. BENNETTT-=(Father of the Bride & lots more)

PLEASE REPLY & WITH YOUR OWN VIEWS,etc

THANX

& NEXT TO GO & SEE: "CREED II')-really like like ROCKY 7th & 8th will last CREED) & SPOILER ALERT SLY ALREADYT STATED HE WILL KIOLL OF ROCKY BALBOA IF THERE IS A CREED III")  This kind of nonsense-(sequels, remakes,etc) may have hurt him winning the statue for the last CREED, voters take this & a lot more into consideration when voting a winner. This type of thing probably hurt the recently deceased BURT REYNOLDS up for his sole shot for '97's BOOGIE NIGHTS)

& FROM IT'S TRAILER 88yr OLD LIVING LEGEND *CLINT EASTWOOD HAS "THE MULE"-(Dec. 14th) But, he said 08's terrific "GRAN TORINO" would be his final on screen part? The latter is/was also his biggest moneyspinner with $158 million

& WAS GONNA' MAY BE SEE "FIRST MAN" A LIKELY BIG *OSCAR CONTENDER & HOPE I STILL MAY "FIRST MAN" Though it has niot opened well & has only sold approx. $25m. to date in tickets

& IT SEEMS I;'M THE RARE REVIEWER BUT O(OF COURSE FIRST THINGS FIRST-(Hollywoods Glorious Golden Age-(l925-63) THAT STILL GOES TO WESTERNS WHEN RELEASED & UPCOMING "SISTERS BROTHERS"-(also a possible contender) with John C. Reilly & Joaquin Phoenix is another I hope to go & see later though)

& ALSO FOR OLD TIMES SAKE & 1964's MARY POPPINS WAS PROBABLY MY VERY 1st MOVIE MY MUM TOOK ME TO SEE, THIS TIME AROUND THANKSGIVING OR C'MAS "MARY POPPINS; RETURNS?"  BUT GIVEN I WAS MAYBE 6 IT WOULDA' HAD TO BE ANOTHER RE-ISSUE OF THE 5 TIME *OSCAR WINNING CLASSIC BY *UNCLE DISNEY

& AGAIN, MY MOTHER THANX YOU, MY SISTERS THANX YOU, MY FATHER THANX YOU & I THANK YOU

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings