Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A POLL ON 1939 HOLLYWOODS MT. SUMMIT YEAR

spence

Had wanted to ask this question a couple of yrs or may have yrs ago?  It's on that most justifiably legendary cinematic year of (1939) & WANTED YOU TCM-ITES OWN FAVOURITE PICTURES FROM THAT YEAR  VS.  WHAT THE *OSCARS NOMINATED FOR THE BEST PICTURE GOLD???

Or, if you want submit anything on nineteen thirty nine you desire too???

By the way "THE MICK" MICKEY ROONEY=-(l920-2014) WAS VOTED A #1 TOP $BOX-OFFICE$ DRAW AGAIN THAT YEAR, EVEN OVER *"THE KING: GABLE"

Now, WHAT THE *ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENES CHOSE/NOMINAED FOR THE BP *OSCAR SATATUETTE: (NOTE: They had 10 contenders for a dozen years, to date there has been 8 to 10 since 2009)

*GWTW"-(Selznick/MGM) swept 8 & 2 honorary statues, another of them to *DAVID O. SELZNICK)

"DARK VICTORY" (Warner Bros.)

"GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS" (MGM/British)-(it really was a very close race between *ROBERT DONAT Vs. *JAMMES STEWART in "Mr. Smith' but *DONAT won out, YOU BE THE JUDGE. NY Critics voted for *JIMMY instead)

"LOVE AFFAIR" (Columbia)

"MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON"-(TRIVIA: *Capra wanted *COOP to do this as "Mr. Deeds Goes to Washington")

"NINOTCHKA" (M-G-M)

"OF MICE AND MEN" United Artists)

"STAGECOACH" (UA)

"WIZARD OF OZ" (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) (originally was more $expensive$ to make than the legendary *GONE WITH THE WIND")

& "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" (Goldwyn/.UA) (NYFCC voted this as Best film of 1939)

(SINS OF OMISSION: "Gunga Din" (RKO Radio)  "Only Angels Have Wings" (Columbia)

& My own 1939 ALTERNATE *OSCAR CHOICES>

Best Picture:  "Wizard of 0z"-(P.S. I actually played Toto age at one time 5 to 6 on my mothers small stage musical production & BOMBED!!!)

Actor: *Donat-(barely over *Stewart though)

Actress: of course *Vivien Leigh

S. actor: Brian Donlevy in "Beau Geste"-(though of course official winner *Thomas Mitchell in "Stagecoach' was a far overall superior actor, mainly also winning for "Mr. Smith" "0nly Angels' too)

S. actress: Gladys George in "The Roaring 20's"

Best Director: *Victor Fleming for *"GWTW"-(though most are now aware *Cukor & Sam wood helmed several sequences)

& Best 0riogoinal-Score-(JUST BECAUSE IT IS A PASSION OF MINE MOVIE SCORES) *"GWTW" (*Max Steiner all-time greatest composer) (in 06 AFI held another all-time movie poll "AFI's 100yrs of Movie Music" Held at HOLLYWOOD BOWLK & MC/HOST WAS (5) TIME WINNER *J. WILLIAMS & THIS SCORE WAS VIRED RUNNER-UP ONLY TO "SW"-(CHECK AFI'S SUPERB WEBSITE FOR IT &ALL OTHER SURVEY, RECIPIENTS, POLLS,etc)

THANK YOU & PLEASE CAST YOUR OWN FAVS FOR  (1939)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings