Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is 1939's GUNGA DIN all-time ultimate Adventure?

spence

Jst rewatched this classic Adventure again abouit a week back & it gets better al;l-the time, though not my own favorite Adventure/Epic, without a doubt way up there! Filmed in 115 in the shade, but nicer then down here a lot (HUMIDITY) in Lone Pine, CALIF. Where the perfectly made &only 81 minute 1955 BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK also was & for some rational STANWYCK in 1990 had her ashes spread there?

*Oscar winner William, Goldman-(l931-) used to write in his rare articles in Premiere it was without peer & Hollywoods A #1 of all-time!

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

(P.S. anoither in my top five of the genre is the remarkable 1975 MAN WHO WOULD BE KING & of course  Kipling's 1937 CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS as well

(P.S. there was a writer in FOGA magazine that always love 1937's superb & superbly unforgettable finale LOST HORIZON obviously his fav. motion picture since childhood & adored Jaffe's role in the *Oscar winning Fantasy, when he finally got to meet him at some celebration he mentioned that film & Jaffe said GUNGA DIN though was his fav. instead. Writer said he was heartbroken)

• Like 1

Maybe it was Goldman who said it--someone sure said it, because it lodged in my memory somehow--whether it was a documentary or what-have-you...someone in Hollywood, some critic or a film historian summed up 'Gunga Din' and at the end of listing all its fantastic merits, he posed the question to the audience: "What better adventure movie is there, really? If you're looking for the best adventure of all time, why not this one?"

I'm hard put to disagree with him.

One possible contender might be the Korda's "Thief of Baghdad" or whatever it was called--but that might better be termed a 'fantasy'. Others? Maybe "Beau Geste"? Or, "The Four Feathers"? "Charge of the Light Brigade"? "Adventures of Robin Hood"?

Yet there's still something more in 'Din' than there is in anything else.

It's gotta be grainy, shot in black & white, and in the 1930s, whichever the choices are.

^_^

p.s. "Lost Horizon" --I've visited the actual site of Shangri-La in Tibet/China where James Hilton got his inspiration for that marvelous novel

It was 100% him though & in the superb monthly & sadly gone PREMIERE!

BUT, another topic I am truly surprised in nobody but you casting own views here???

Thought forcertain likes of  C. COURAGEOUS, ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD-(Osbo's fav in this genre by the way), ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS, RAIDERS OF LOST ARK & MANY MORE WOULD BE HERE, NOT TO EVEN BEGIN TO SNUB ONE OF ALL-TIME GREATEST MOTION PICTURES IN THE TREASURE SIERRA MADRE???

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings