Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FILMS OF GOLDEN AGE & CLASSIC IMAGES POLLS ON ALL-TIME TOP 25 FAVS IN MOVIES

spence

Already posted the top ten from those 2 items, Films of Golden Age-(FOGA) was a regular & terrific movie magazine & the older "Classic Images"-(CI) was a 4 star newspaper of sorts-(think if you check both are still available?) I saved my FOGA mags in bottom of HEAVY boxes myself  Anyway in 2000 on the heels of AFI's massive 1998 poll, virtually all others conducted the fans favs  EW, TV Guide, Sight and Sound-(but not really with them, it's next after that was for 2002), BFI, Hollywood.com, imdb.com & lots more, except per usual this network??? (NOTE: I must always feel to be compelled to tell this neat lil story, a very elderly couple in Southhampton, LI wore to FOGA & it's team simply could not locate were the legendary 2 time *Oscar winner *GARY COOPER-(l90l-l96l) chose to be laid to rest, so this couple took the time to only cross a little street to a rundown & very old cemetary & snapped a couple photos of *COOP'S incredibally modest grave & sent it to the mag. FOGA was also among myriad of articles that mostly covered the monolithic FOREST LAWN, GL:ENDALE & it spoke exactly whjere *TRACY'S GRAVE & JUST HOW RUDE STAFF IS THERE TOO!?

Even my local newspaper St. Petersburg Times conducted it's own soon after '98

(NOT FAIR SPORTS FANS/MODERATORS!)

BELOW IS IT'S FINAL/TOP 25 READERS FAV. MOTION PICTURES-(*-denotes OSCAR winner)>

#1st place *GONE WITH THE WIND" (l939) (Selznick/M-G-M) (won by 115 votes)

2. *"Casablanca" (l943) (Warner Bros.) (100)

3. "The Wizard of 0z" (l939) (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) (got over 62)-(officially more $$$expensive$$$ than *GWTW")

4. "Singin' in the Rain" (l952) (M-g-M) (58 overall)

5th place "Citizen Kane" (l94l) (RKO Radio) (51 is all?)-(P.S. though not my 1 fav. all-time, but close, *"GFI" (l972) is my favourite & must admit KANE is still finest I've yet to see!) (also topped AFI's list in above cited two massive polls & Sight and Sound Survey-(International Critics & a separate survey for Directors, voted it #1st for 50yrs, but in the last from 2012 "Vertigo" upset it after 50 some years!)

6., "It's a Wonderful Life" (l946) (RKO radio) (Got 50 votes)

7. "King Kong" (l933) (Selznick/RKO) (48)

8. *"All About Eve" (l950) (20th Century Fox) (46)

9. "Sunset Blvd.: (l950) (Paramount) (43)

10th place in it's fans voting-(no editors allowed to cast own votes by the way) "Shane" (l953) (Paramount) (41)

(Remaining 25)>

11th place "The Maltese Falcon" (l94l) (WB's) (Received 39 votes by fans)

12. *"The Best Years of 0ur Lives" (l946) (Goldwyn/RKO) (38)

13 "Laura" (l944) (Paramount) (37)

14. (TIE) between "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (l938) (WB';s) & "Vertigo" (l958) (Paramount) both rec 34 total)-(TRIVIA: Mr. Osborne's fav Adventure was Flynn's version, but overall 1951's "A Place in the Sun" (Paramount)

15th "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (l948) (Warner Bros.) (33) & in my long held opinion rated way too low here?)

16 "The Searchers" (lk956) (WB'S) (only 32 votes?)-(AFI's 07 revised survey voted it up from #96th to #12th place in a decade)

17 (TIE) between "The Grapes of wrath" (l940) (Fox), "North by Northwest" (l959) (M-G-M) & "Stagecoach" (l939) (UA) (all received 31)

18. (TIE) "Double Indemnity" (l944) (Paramount), "High Noon"(l952) (UA)-(with 30 votes each)

19. "Now, Voyager" (l942) (Warner Bros.) (29)

20th in voting "The Quiet Man" (l952) (Republic) (28)

21. (TIE AGAIN) "The African queen" (l951) (UA) & *"the Sound of Music" (l965) (26 for both)

22. "Sunrise" (l927) (Fox) (25)

23. *"From Here to Eternity" (l953) (Columbia) 24 votes)

24. (TE) "Random Harvest" (l942) (M-G-M) & *"Rebecca" (l940) (Selznick/UA) & both snagged 23) 

& FINALLY #25th p-lace "Top Hat" (l935) (RKO Radio) (with 22 toital fan vites)

& JUST FOR FUN, PLEASE BEAR WITHME  My personal own top ten DVD Time Capsule>

1st *"The Godfather (l90l-90) Trilogy'-(non theatrical release though)

2. KANE

3. "Captains Courageous" (l937) (M-G-M)

4. *"Casablanca"-(along with another TCM-ITE wrote "The Music Box" may be most perfect movie ever, up there is this perfecto "Dram Factory" drama)

5. "Modern Times" (l936) (UA)-(flip of a coin over his 1931 magnifico "City Lights?")

6. "Dumbo" (l94l Walt Disney/RKO) (NOTE: Tim Burton's live action remake due in March & looks great)

7. "It's a Wonderful life"

8. "The Searchers"

9. "Vertigo

10th fav of mine "The Quiet Man"

PLEASE CAST YOURS & DISAGREEMENTS???   THANX

& just for fun & match some up Mr. Osborne's top ten  (NOTE: When he had director Stanley Donen on on a kind of Backlot/audience special, as soon as he introduced Donen & even before he sat, Osbo blurted out that (7) out of his own all-time top (1) were his pictures.

So here goes-(not altogether accurate, but as most here know I compile movie lists of everything & this to is lifted from it)>

"A Place in the Sun"-(when A. Baldwin asked him definitive od Drama, without pause he cited this 6 tiume *Oscar winner)

"The Adventures of Robin Hood"-(same went when asked of Adventure)

"Singin' In The Rain"

"Sunset Blvd."

"Razor's Edge" ('46 version)

"Random Harvest"-(maybe 4th?)

"Funny Face" (l957)

"Indiscreet" (l958)

"Two for the Road" (l967)

& when Alec asked him about epitome of comedy, he always said 1936's "Libeled-Lady" & strangely though brilliant 1984's "Spinal Tap"

He told Donen "Arabesque" also almost made the cut

(FINAL NOTE: Not putting his choices down, but notice not one BP winner in his top 10?)

Now as for our current TCM Mystery Man & relative/nephew of both *Herman Mankiewicz & *J.L. Mankiewicz-(you can see it in his face) (By the way *J.L. Mankiewicz-(l909-l993) was not only the one that first introduced *Spence & *Kate outside the still standing, for now legendary *THALBERG BUILDING" in '41. When on a tour there though most of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer-(l924-) is decimated-(K. Kirkorian in '69 started this debacle!) I kept searching around an alley of sorts nxt to the huge bldg. to snap shots on just where they met???  Though as my fellow TCM-ITES agree, Ben's favs are very hard to get a handle on, for now anyhow. I do know his movie hero is same as mine as a kid-(9 to age 15) "King of movie Cool: Steve McQueen-(l930-l980) & absolutely loves *Lee Marvin to! & this is where it gets hard, pretty certain 80 to 85% his fav. films are>*"All About Eve" *"Ben-Hur" (l959 version), *"West Side Story" & 1998's terrific (3 & 1/2) "Out of Sight?"

WELKL, IT HAPPENED AGAIN FRIENDS! & getting to be the norm, if I ever write 7 then try to post something it goes in cyberspace & then I immediately must nag them-(CONTACT US) to locate item/poist,they usually do it, but many minutes plaster & now, even cut off bottom of item A new wrinkle there nowadays

THIS NEVER HAPPENED BACK WHENM I JOINED IN 2001/02 UNDER DIFFERENT HANDLE

ANY TIPS?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings