Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1962's GYPSY is currently on &

8 hours ago, drednm said:

Ethel Merman opened in Gypsy in May of 1959 and starred in the entire run ... until March of 1961. More than 700 performances, with no replacement.

I think Ethel would have leapt out of a death bed and crawled on stage in order not to miss a performance and have an understudy go on in her place. :lol: She gave heightened meaning to the word "trouper".

oh, I adore Rosalind Ruussell!!! in Gypsy, My Sister Eileen, The Women,  His Girl Friday, Auntie Mame, Craig's Wife, etc, etc...

I always thought Mama Rose's 'talent' was mostly in her head...if she had been a really great singer, she would've made it herself long before (and frustration over her own failures were what pushed her to be the ultimate stage mother)..if she really had the voice, she would've been putting herself in those auditions...not her kids...

Anyone have the chance to see Angela Lansbury in the Mama Rose role? The only YouTubes I can find with visuals are ceremony performances. I would think she was probably very good. She sings well, and has many times taken on the role of an overbearing or clutching woman.

• Like 1

Mama Rose explains and justifies herself (at least to herself) with the "You wanna know what I did it for? Because I was born too soon and started too late."

The real Rose was born in 1890 and married as a teenager. The daughters were likely born in 1911 and 1912 (or thereabouts) so she was "trapped" by early marriage and motherhood. Whether Mama Rose is delusional or whether she really had it, we'll never know. Yet in her monologue, when she says "What I got in me ... I could have been better than any of you! What I got in me, what I been holding down inside of me, if I ever let it go, there wouldn't have been signs big enough! There wouldn't have been lights bright enough!"

The fury with which she hurls these lines at the audience (and out into the uncaring universe) sums up the character's very core of Mama Rose, who feels she's been cheated out of her rightful place on stage and in the world. It's a chilling moment.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Zea said:

She gave heightened meaning to the word "trouper".

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Oh thank you so much for not writing "trooper" 

This got me wondering ... does anybody know what the heck a "super trooper" is, like from the ABBA song? Wondered about that much of my life (trouper? I don't even know how they spell it). Is that just mangled English for the sake of a rhyme, or is that some real thing like a vehicle or something? "Like a super trooper, lights are gonna find me shining like the sun ..."