Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar for Glenn Close for THE WIFE?

drednm

I really hope she wins. I want her to win, even though I have not yet seen the film, because she is one of the best we have these days and never received her due....but its a crowded year for Actress, and an almost equal number are predicting wins by Lady Gaga for A Star is Born, Olivia Colman for The Favourite, a kinky variation on social-climber/All About Eve style films, or even Melissa McCarthy playing a forger in Can You Ever Forgive Me. Plus, there are also two newcomers in plum roles in two sure-fire Oscar contenders, Roma and If Beale Street Can Talk, and a few question marks such as Viola Davis in Widows and Emily Blunt in Mary Poppins Returns. Its just very crowded. But, if Close does get nominated, I think she holds a fair chance since its obvious that Gaga will be winning for Song and Colman is more known in England than here.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I really hope she wins. I want her to win, even though I have not yet seen the film, because she is one of the best we have these days and never received her due....but its a crowded year for Actress, and an almost equal number are predicting wins by Lady Gaga for A Star is Born, Olivia Colman for The Favourite, a kinky variation on social-climber/All About Eve style films, or even Melissa McCarthy playing a forger in Can You Ever Forgive Me. Plus, there are also two newcomers in plum roles in two sure-fire Oscar contenders, Roma and If Beale Street Can Talk, and a few question marks such as Viola Davis in Widows and Emily Blunt in Mary Poppins Returns. Its just very crowded. But, if Close does get nominated, I think she holds a fair chance since its obvious that Gaga will be winning for Song and Colman is more known in England than here.

Close may have one other competitor.

Don't rule out Clare Foy -- who recently won a Primetime Emmy Award for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II in the Netflix series "The Crown." She's a candidate for double Oscar nominations. The British star is likely to be competing in the Best Supporting Actress category for her work as astronaut Neil Armstrong's headstrong but supportive wife in "First Man."

Next month, she'll star in "The Girl in the Spider's Web," making her the third actress to play the troubled but brilliant computer hacker Lisbeth Salander from the late Swedish author Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" series. Noomi Rapace appeared as Salander in the 2009 Swedish films "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest."

Rooney Mara -- who is NFL royalty on both sides of her family -- received a 2011 Oscar nomination as Best Actress for her performance as Salander in David Fincher's American-produced version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." It'll be interesting to see if Foy can duplicate the feat with a Best Actress nomination for "Spider's Web" -- based on a 2015 novel by David Lagercrantz, who continued Larsson's "Millennium" series.

If Foy and Colman are somehow nominated in the Best Actress category, it could be billed as a battle of British monarchs. Colman will replace Foy as Elizabeth II when the third season of "The Crown" streams on Netfix in 2019.

Image result for claire foy "first man"

Foy portrays Janet Armstrong in director Damien Chazelle's current biopic "First Man" 

Image result for clare foy "first man" and "spider web"

Foy as hacker Lisbeth Salander in "The Girl in the Spider's Web"

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

No! She's a 'has-been'. Forget her! Toss her on the scrap-heap! Relegated to TV!

Wow. Strong words. Strong, bewildering words, as Kent Brockman once said. Given the ascendancy of TV and the relative financial struggles on non-superhero movies, I don't know if one is really "relegated" to TV anymore. Some actors seem to prefer TV these days, if you count it in all its myriad forms, such as Netflix.

I think Close is a strong possibility, but as Jakeem points out, there are a number of contenders this year for only five spots. We'll see.

Just saw the film and I think the feminist theme will resonate with voters. Glenn Close is terrific and the story (a little slow to start) is very good indeed. Jonathan Pryce and Christian Slater are also very good and Close's daughter, Annie Starke, has a nice role. The story has a "John Cheever" feel to it but is based on a novel by Meg Wolitzer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know nothing about this film, but if Close did an excellent job she'll probably get the Best Actress Oscar if only because people thought she would win a few times in the 1980s and she never did. Since she is now in her 70s, this might be the Academy's last chance to honor her, which means they probably will, short a female version of Gary Oldman's "Darkest Hour" performance popping up as competition. The Academy is great at driving down a road looking in the rear view mirror.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings