Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10/22 FRANKENNACHT EIN TCM


LornaHansonForbes
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tonight seems to be a FRANKENFEST on TCM, with this curiosity that they've been plugging in the ads leading off at 8:00: THE STRANGE LIFE OF DR FRANKENSTEIN.

 

(GOING SOLELY FROM THE PROMOS), it looks weird as ****.

I'm not a huge FRANKENFAN, although BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (not airing) is IMO the finest horror picture ever made. SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) follows this 52 minute documentary, and it is worth a looksie, although not my favorite FARNKENFILM (it does however contain BELA LUGOSI'S finest performance as the twisted, sadistic, depraved, insane hunchbacked YGOR- who is is the unsung heart and soul of the mid-franchise Universal FRANKENFILMS.)

After that it's a bunch of HAMMER HAR FRANKENFLICKS, some of which I have not seen and will not be seeing tonight as they are on in the wee small hours of the morning, I'D LIKE TO HOPE some of them show up on TCM ON DEMAND, but I am not holding out hope since SO FEW HORROR TITLES HAVE BEEN MADE AVAILABLE ON TCM ON DEMAND THUS FAR THIS OCTOBER.

(frown emoji)

also (sadly) not featured tonight are the original JAMES WHALE FRANKENSTEIN, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET... and the classic, underrated Merchant Ivory collaboration FRANKENHOOKER.

9:00 PM
 
horror
 
10:47 PM
 
short
Robot Wrecks (1941)
 
11:00 PM
12:00 AM
 
horror
 
 
1:30 AM
 
horror
 
 
3:15 AM
 
horror

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh!

I thought this Strange Life of Dr. Frankenstein was gonna be like a history of Frankenstein movies. You're telling me it's going to be about this weird photographer and his model son they've been running promos for? I was wondering what those were all about. Hmmm. Probably not watching that. And they're showing it twice in short order. I will probably only watch Son of Frankenstein and go to bed. Like Lorna, it's unlikely I will stay up for the Hammer fare. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched the documentary(not bad) and then Son of Frankenstein last night. Must have been decades since I've seen the later, and so didn't remember too much of it.

And so, while watching Rathbone and Atwill playing darts, I could barely keep a straight face while also thinking of Wilder and Mars doing the same thing in a particular later made film.

(...among many of the other scenes in SOF that Mel and Gene used for fodder in their movie)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I just saw the last 30 seconds of the doc, and they were closing by talking about the novel, so I don't know, maybe it's a comprehensive history and not just about the photographer guy, as I feared. I may give it a chance after watching Son of Frankenstein.

Yeah, THANK GOD I did not see much of the photographer guy from those WEIRD PROMOS or if I did I don’t remember it. As I recall the documentary was about 98% the novel, which I was fine with. The source novel’s become little discussed and it’s importance diminished I think with the passing of time.

It was well put together and had some nice visuals, I liked it.

full disclosure here: my allergies are kicking my butt right now and I was double dosed on Benadryl and whacked out of my mind as I watched. I fell asleep halfway through SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and had a dream Basil Rathbone was berating me while throwing darts at my head.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, THANK GOD I did not see much of the photographer guy from those WEIRD PROMOS or if I did I don’t remember it. As I recall the documentary was about 98% the novel, which I was fine with. The source novel’s become little discussed and it’s importance diminished I think with the passing of time.

It was well put together and had some nice visuals, I liked it.

full disclosure here: my allergies are kicking my butt right now and I was double dosed on Benadryl and whacked out of my mind as I watched. I fell asleep halfway through SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and had a dream Basil Rathbone was berating me while throwing darts at my head.

LOL

Yeah, come to think of it Lorna, ol' Basil DID seem to do that sort'a thing a lot in his films didn't he.

(..."berating" others that is...NOT the dart thing)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

full disclosure here: my allergies are kicking my butt right now and I was double dosed on Benadryl and whacked out of my mind as I watched. I fell asleep halfway through SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and had a dream Basil Rathbone was berating me while throwing darts at my head.

I'm not sure how I never put two and two together before last night, but Young Frankenstein is clearly more based on this movie than any other in the Universal Frankenstein franchise. This became very obvious to me last night, my second time to see the movie. I loved the acting and the visuals, but boy, a lot of the plot is dumb! All those guys in the village council can't figure out why six of the eight judges (soon to be eight of eight) who unanimously voted to hang Igor are dead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm not sure how I never put two and two together before last night, but Young Frankenstein is clearly more based on this movie than any other in the Universal Frankenstein franchise. This became very obvious to me last night, my second time to see the movie. I loved the acting and the visuals, but boy, a lot of the plot is dumb! All those guys in the village council can't figure out why six of the eight judges (soon to be eight of eight) who unanimously voted to hang Igor are dead?

Yeah, and I especially loved the ending of this one and where after Basil stirs up all that trouble again in that sleepy little town by bringing back to life his daddy's monster and then having to destroy it again, as he and his family depart on that train he's given a rousing cheer by the assembled townspeople!

(...guess they figured he finally took care of their little Ygor problem, and so all was forgiven)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, I almost mentioned that in my last post! As much as they all hated him when he arrived, everything seemed weirdly hunky-dory when he left again! Maybe they were all just happy to see him go ...

LOL

Yeah, sort'a like that oh so happy ending to that 1966 "classic", Munster, Go Home! 

(...'cept as I recall in THAT one, instead of a train, the Munster family leaves town in some kind'a Hot Rod that car-maker-to-the-stars George Barris built for 'em)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About "The Strange Life of Dr. Frankenstein" - and maybe I should post this in "I Just Watched" - I really enjoyed it. Those weird TCM promos made me wonder what I was getting into, but it was a well put together documentary on the novel, how it presaged some scientific developments and probably drew from others of the time, and ultimately how the novel might have been joined to the psyche of its author Mary Shelley.  There were bits and pieces of the Frankenstein films, particularly the first two from Universal, "Frankenstein" and "Bride of Frankenstein", but mainly this was an examination of a literary work. I like how they worked in commentary from an expert in plastic surgery. I wasn't expecting that. I did have one "what the??" moment though. When the documentary is talking about Mary Shelley feeling like she had some kind of out of body experience the night that she conceived the idea behind "Frankenstein", one of the images put up on the screen, though only for a few seconds, appeared to be that of 1930s actress Karen Morley. Maybe because this was largely made in other countries the film's makers did not think anybody would notice, but I couldn't help wondering what Miss Morley had to do with the tale of Frankenstein. I would recommend it as a detailed documentary on the literary work that manages to not overstay its welcome by being too long.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

About "The Strange Life of Dr. Frankenstein" - and maybe I should post this in "I Just Watched" - I really enjoyed it. Those weird TCM promos made me wonder what I was getting into, but it was a well put together documentary on the novel, how it presaged some scientific developments and probably drew from others of the time, and ultimately how the novel might have been joined to the psyche of its author Mary Shelley.  There were bits and pieces of the Frankenstein films, particularly the first two from Universal, "Frankenstein" and "Bride of Frankenstein", but mainly this was an examination of a literary work. I like how they worked in commentary from an expert in plastic surgery. I wasn't expecting that. I did have one "what the??" moment though. When the documentary is talking about Mary Shelley feeling like she had some kind of out of body experience the night that she conceived the idea behind "Frankenstein", one of the images put up on the screen, though only for a few seconds, appeared to be that of 1930s actress Karen Morley. Maybe because this was largely made in other countries the film's makers did not think anybody would notice, but I couldn't help wondering what Miss Morley had to do with the tale of Frankenstein. I would recommend it as a detailed documentary on the literary work that manages to not overstay its welcome by being too long.

Thanks in re: KAREN MORLEY, I knew I recognized the actress they used in the footage.

I’m trying to remember the word they used for the “out of body experience” they alleged Mary Shelley had when she conceived of Frankenstein, it wasn’t “trance” or “rapture”...And I don’t recall the exact words.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm only exposed to TCM on Friday or Saturday nights when I'm enjoying a juicy burger, spuds, and blowing the foam off a succession of medicinal apertifs, digestive tonics, and post-prandials.

So, if there's any toothsome horror movies coming up (such as 'Burnt Offerings' or something like that) I'll miss out unless its weekend fare.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...