Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

January 2019 Schedule Up!! SOTM Kathryn Grayson

speedracer5

3 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Hey, I worship Gershwin.  But, Gershwin is about as far from Jeannette MacDonald & Kathryn Grayson "over the top" operatics as it gets. Now that I think of it, Porgy & Bess is probably the rare "opera" that I do enjoy, completely due to the Gershwin genius. No "Indian Love Call" in sight!

I could just hear lydecker saying these comments with his acid wit.   Of course with a little  Elliott Templeton for good measure.

I.e.  the comments and the avatar fit perfectly here!

(as for my avatar,  well just assume I'm playing Summertime since that is a Dm7 chord Mr. Cagney is playing).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I think another problem with January/Kathryn Grayson is that it comes directly on the heels of Dick Powell as December SOTM.  While Dick Powell did other genres there is an abundance of his early musicals in December (wishing ONE MORE TIME that Warren William had gotten the December SOTM nod!) and a shift in emphasis away from musicals would have seemed appropriate for January.

I'm reluctant to say what the programmers should have done for December or January. Probably since I like both these stars and am glad they're being featured. 

But I still hope that other stars are honored, ones that have never had a turn yet. And I mentioned them earlier in the thread.

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why should TCM programmers care what a handful (< 30 or so),  folks have to say about 31 Days of Oscar?  31 Days is TCM's biggest annual marketing campaign (e.g. TCM runs ads on CNN promoting 31 Days).     

Linking newly released films (e.g. those films that are up for Oscars),  with 'classic' films is a wise way to bring attention to a niche station like TCM.          

To give up on this marketing just to please die-hard fans like us, would be silly.   

I'm sure they don't care what a handful of people think about their programming unless they are Backlot members and pay TCM eighty something bucks a year and shill the overpriced merchandise at the TCM shop.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Has anyone seen the schedule for Thursday Jan 3rd? It can't be right- 8pm is BEN-HUR Pt 2 followed by BEN-HUR Pt 1, then at 2am is SPARTACUS PT 2 followed by SPARTACUS PT 1!

You can actually watch Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" movies that way with few problems.

Image result for kill bill gifs

On 10/25/2018 at 7:02 PM, calvinnme said:

I'm sure they don't care what a handful of people think about their programming unless they are Backlot members and pay TCM eighty something bucks a year and shill the overpriced merchandise at the TCM shop.

LOL!

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Has anyone seen the schedule for Thursday Jan 3rd? It can't be right- 8pm is BEN-HUR Pt 2 followed by BEN-HUR Pt 1, then at 2am is SPARTACUS PT 2 followed by SPARTACUS PT 1!

Something different! :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Their listing of long epics as two consecutive parts is something that goes all the way back to their earliest schedules.  My guess is this was/is a work-around for the largest time slots that was never properly fixed, or even if it was, the prior entries not updated? 

The reverse schedule order could be something new and experimental, I just hope they don't discover non-linear video editing! ;)

• Like 1

Eh, I just saw 1946's TILL (sic) THE CLOUDS ROLL BY. Kathryn Grayson sings a couple of songs and I just had to fast forward through them. She's a good singer & pretty enough, but she is just annoying to watch. She screws up her face when she sings and her singing style just isn't pleasant. I don't know anyone who likes her. (kind of sad, she really doesn't deserve our ire)

In contrast, Lena Horne sang a song directly afterwards. While I'm not a huge Lena Horne fan, she is absolutely more "watchable" when singing. There's a "sincerity" to her expression & performance that translates to the viewer.

I think Judy Garland & Frank Sinatra -who both have singing segments in the film-have that empathy/expression to the audience nailed. I've heard people on this board call it "selling a song".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Eh, I just saw 1946's TILL (sic) THE CLOUDS ROLL BY. Kathryn Grayson sings a couple of songs and I just had to fast forward through them. She's a good singer & pretty enough, but she is just annoying to watch. She screws up her face when she sings and her singing style just isn't pleasant. I don't know anyone who likes her. (kind of sad, she really doesn't deserve our ire)

In contrast, Lena Horne sang a song directly afterwards. While I'm not a huge Lena Horne fan, she is absolutely more "watchable" when singing. There's a "sincerity" to her expression & performance that translates to the viewer.

I think Judy Garland & Frank Sinatra -who both have singing segments in the film-have that empathy/expression to the audience nailed. I've heard people on this board call it "selling a song".

I always fast forward through Kathryn Grayson in Anchors Aweigh.  Her singing is so shrill and unpleasant to listen to and she's so bland.  I think she'd be fine in a movie if she didn't sing--which unfortunately doesn't seem to happen. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Television and movie comedian Ernie Kovacs is remembered by TCM

He was ahead of his time, but in his time, Ernie Kovacs was one of comedy’s most unique talents.

With his work commemorated by several home-video collections over the past several years – including the recent “Ernie Kovacs: The Centennial Edition” – the iconoclastic and innovative Kovacs is remembered by Turner Classic Movies with a full night of his late-1950s and early-1960s television programs and feature films Wednesday, Jan. 23, the exact 100th anniversary of his birth.operationmadball_1957_lc_02_1200_061220090328.jpg

The lineup includes three episodes of “The Ernie Kovacs Show” first broadcast by ABC, plus the movies “Operation Mad Ball” (with Kovacs as a military-hospital officer in a rivalry with fellow soldier Jack Lemmon), “Wake Me When It’s Over” (as another officer privy to a scheme by draftee Dick Shawn), “Bell Book and Candle” (a witchcraft comedy reteaming Kovacs with Lemmon, and also starring James Stewart and Kim Novak) and “Five Golden Hours” (with con man Kovacs’ game called by savvy baroness Cyd Charisse). ..........

A fill-in host for Steve Allen on NBC’s original incarnation of “The Tonight Show,” Kovacs is cited by many as having really come into his own with the series of monthly ABC specials collectively known as “The Ernie Kovacs Show.” Those programs crystallized everything Kovacs liked to do, experimenting with sound, music, editing and special effects … and even having total control over the commercials he did for his sponsor, Dutch Masters cigars.

Kovacs won an Emmy Award for the series, but tragically, what his additional output might have been was curtailed by his death in a 1962 car accident........

https://ontvtoday.com/television-and-movie-comedian-ernie-kovacs-is-remembered-by-tcm

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2018 at 8:29 PM, speedracer5 said:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&amp;sdate=2019-01-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&amp;sdate=2019-01-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&amp;sdate=2019-01-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&amp;sdate=2019-01-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&amp;sdate=2019-01-29

Still perusing the schedule.  Can't say I'm excited about the SOTM selection.  Yuck!

---

Special Spotlight: Elia Kazan

Spotlight: Gladiator movies

1/1 100th Birthday Primetime Tribute to Carole Landis.  I've always wanted to see Turnabout

1/3 Marion Davies Birthday tribute

1/5 Noir Alley His Kind of Woman

1/7 Stan and Ollie Spotlight, The Music Box never gets old.

1/8 Miss Annie Rooney. I like Shirley as a teen actress.  It's a shame that she wasn't able to cash in on her childhood success. 

1/9 Dust Be My Destiny. A John Garfield movie that I haven't seen.

1/11 Man on a Tightrope.  A possible premiere of an Elia Kazan film starring Fredric March and Gloria Grahame?

1/12 Noir Alley Lured.  Lucille Ball noir!

1/14 James Stewart & Robert Mitchum spotlight, starting off with a documentary: "James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America." 

1/23 Looks like it might have a primetime tribute to Ernie Kovacs? The schedule is titled but not filled out yet.

1/27 LA Noir spotlight.  

1/30 Maureen O'Hara night

Why the newsletter disappears after a month?

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings