Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is mark of the vampire a thwarted effort?


NipkowDisc
 Share

Recommended Posts

why does todd browning go to such elaborate lengths to create a visual masterpiece of horror even to having a white dog sneak behind two men in a cemetery which is a great visualizing of vampire lore but then he decides to cheat the audience with bull about the whole thing being a ruse by an acting troupe?

whatta jip and whatta schtootz and that jean hersholt murder bs is just a needless distraction.

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

why does todd browning go to such elaborate lengths to create a visual masterpiece of horror even to having a white dog sneak behind two men in a cemetery which is a great visualizing of vampire lore but then he decides to cheat the audience with bull about the whole thing being a ruse by an acting troupe?

whatta jip and whatta schtootz and that jean hersholt murder bs is just a needless distraction.

:)

I love the fact that the vampire lore ends up being just a needless distraction from what ends up being a fairly typical murder.    Yea,  Browning could have made a standard vampire horror film but since he had already done that I find this flip an interesting change.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark of the Vampire is a reworking of Browning's silent film London After Midnight, which employs the same idea of using a "vampire" as a red herring in order to unearth a murderer. It's not surprising that Browning would use the same trick in the sound version.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember when TCM introduced me to this movie a few years ago and it became a favorite of mine.  Elizabeth Allan looks better in this movie than any other movie I have seen her in.  The first time I saw Carroll Borland on the screen my jaw hit the floor.  I could not believe what I saw on my television screen.  Its a shame MGM could not use Ms. Borland in a female vampire movie and showcase her talents and charm even more.  Then again maybe Ms. Borland did not want to go in the direction MGM executives had paved out for her.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thomasterryjr said:

I remember when TCM introduced me to this movie a few years ago and it became a favorite of mine.  Elizabeth Allan looks better in this movie than any other movie I have seen her in.  The first time I saw Carroll Borland on the screen my jaw hit the floor.  I could not believe what I saw on my television screen.  Its a shame MGM could not use Ms. Borland in a female vampire movie and showcase her talents and charm even more.  Then again maybe Ms. Borland did not want to go in the direction MGM executives had paved out for her.

Wasn't Carroll Borland some sort of Lugosi groupie and that's how she got the part?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Wasn't Carroll Borland some sort of Lugosi groupie and that's how she got the part?

Borland saw the stage version of Dracula with Lugosi in the lead, and was so intrigued that she penned a novel entitled "Countess Dracula," which she intended to be a vehicle for herself and Lugosi. (The novel was finally published in the 1990s; not sure if it is still available.) She corresponded with Lugosi, and also met him in person. Although the project never materialized, she did get the crucial part in Mark of the Vampire. Makeup man William Tuttle felt her appearance should complement Lugosi's, so he gave her a pasty white face, dark eyes, and dark lips.

Borland earned a Ph.D and became a college professor. Late in life, when "Elvira" and "Vampira" were engaged in a dispute over their characters (which were probably based on Borland's), Borland seemed amused, stating that the only thing she really enjoyed about her film career was that years later, "two actresses are fighting over my face."

Edited by scsu1975
Just checked: Borland's book is available on Amazon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...