Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FilmStruck/Criterion Channel is being shut down!

47 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Now, I know everyone always complains when I say "(snicker!) Kanopy??  Isn't that just the same cheap public-domain indie movies that Amazon got roped into showing, except that they fooled Criterion into thinking they were a big thing too, and got a big care-package of Criterion Channel--Just like Hulu did in the early days when they couldn't afford anything but public-domain either?"

But this is what I'm saying--LISTEN to what you're saying, people:
You're AT the LIBRARY...Telling us what movies you can get FREE with your CARD...And how wonderful it is that they gave us a new service to provide cheap public domain and obscure Criterion ones at home on streaming.

...What glaringly obvious element are we overlooking, here?  And why are we, good people of 2018, just not seeing it?  

(No, really:  I know I sound smug every time I brag about how our college town got on the big charity push to rescue the dear old closing downtown disk-rental shop by donating all the disks to the public library, and now we have a library's third-floor DVD section that's the size of a small downtown disk rental...But is everyone else's public library just not as good?  Am I the sole, sheltered lucky one?)

My library system (I say “system” because my home library doesn’t have the biggest selection) has an amazing selection of physical media. I utilize the inter-library loan a lot. Kanopy is good too. I just watched “Detective Story” on Kanopy. I rented “Letters From an Unknown Woman” through inter-library loan too.  While I know streaming is the “future,” nothing beats physical media, imo. 

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My library system (I say “system” because my home library doesn’t have the biggest selection) has an amazing selection of physical media. I utilize the inter-library loan a lot. Kanopy is good too. I just watched “Detective Story” on Kanopy. I rented “Letters From an Unknown Woman” through inter-library loan too.  While I know streaming is the “future,” nothing beats physical media, imo. 

Inter-library loan has pretty much taken the place of the old 00's disk-by-mail Netflix:  You might not get your disk overnight, but at least they've got it, and you can click a rental from your keyboard.

(Just this evening, I'd finally gotten around to ILL'ing a copy of "Gunga Din" that our local didn't have--Looked up, and the regional system not only had the movie on disk, they also had it available on TCM 4-disk collections of War Movies and Cary Grant, in case I wanted to check out a whole set of movies with my one rental...So, I can get my movie, or I can get my movie and "Arsenic & Old Lace" for free, or I can get my movie and "Dawn Patrol" for free.)  :)

And yes, like Hulu, Criterion is the only symbolic reason for being curious about Kanopy...Because they're Criterion, obviously.  At least FilmStruck still had the benefit of the old Warner Archive classics.

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

10 a month? I watch more than that in two days. 🤪

I'll maybe watch 2 a week on Kanopy, there are so many streaming sources it's just another option, besides Youtube, Rarefilms, Internet archive. 

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Agree, nothing beats physical media, but I usually like to see a film first before I buy.

Again going on about Kanopy, it doesn't matter what your local public library has on hand Kanopy is streaming.

Watch the Criterion Collection (and so much more) through your home TV or mobile device, indulge in festival indie, world cinema and acclaimed documentaries sourced from award-winning filmmakers globally or learn about every subject imaginable from The Great Courses and PBS. Kanopy is an on-demand streaming video service with an unrivaled collection of over 30,000 films.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

That petition is over 40,000 signatures now .... and per Variety, its signers include Barbra Streisand and director Guillermo Del Toro....

...And other grownups who don't really use the Internet all that much to know better.

(But then, if they did, would they have become Filmstruck junkies, either?)

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'll maybe watch 2 a week on Kanopy, there are so many streaming sources it's just another option, besides Youtube, Rarefilms, Internet archive. 

Agree, nothing beats physical media, but I usually like to see a film first before I buy.

Again going on about Kanopy, it doesn't matter what your local public library has on hand Kanopy is streaming.

Watch the Criterion Collection (and so much more) through your home TV or mobile device, indulge in festival indie, world cinema and acclaimed documentaries sourced from award-winning filmmakers globally or learn about every subject imaginable from The Great Courses and PBS. Kanopy is an on-demand streaming video service with an unrivaled collection of over 30,000 films.

I don't usually purchase physical media without watching it either--unless I have a hunch I'll love it, like I did with the Errol Flynn films I purchased, sight unseen.  I own quite a few films I've never seen, but that's a result of purchasing boxed sets and the like. 

I use TCM, the library, Kanopy, etc. as a means to watch the film first and then I'll decide if I want to purchase it.  On my phone, I maintain a list of films that I'd like to purchase.  That way, if I happen to find myself at a used DVD store or what not, I can remember what it was that I wanted to buy.

While there are a ton of streaming sources out there, many of them require some sort of fee.  Which Kanopy does not (provided that your library participates).  I actually have two library cards and both libraries participate--double the monthly limit available! Lol. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

While there are a ton of streaming sources out there, many of them require some sort of fee.  Which Kanopy does not (provided that your library participates).  I actually have two library cards and both libraries participate--double the monthly limit available! Lol. 

Same here, my wife has a SUNY library card, I have a New York Public Library card.

I'm sorry, but EricJ you sound like you are suffering from old man screaming on facebook syndrome. Many (I repeat, many) of the films and extras that can be found on Filmstruck are NOT available anywhere else. Period. When the service goes offline in a few weeks, you may wait a long time to ever have the chance to see any of them again, if at all.

• Like 1

L.A. Times today has a front page article in the Business section:   Film buffs worry; Will classics go dark in shift to streaming?   Written by Ryan Faughnder,  it features a large picture of Bogart and Henreid from Casablanca as a scare tacit,  but does say 'Casablanca is likely to endure,  but less famous titles could be harder to find.".

The Times is featuring about one major story per week about the demise of Filmstruck and what that and streaming services could mean to access of studio-era films.

(sorry no link but it can be found at L.A.'s website.)

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

Thanks.   I'm still old-school and get the paper version L.A. Times delivered to my home.

Note that there was another cool photo of Cagney and O'Brien from Angels with Dirty Faces.   The author did a search to see if certain classic films were available in the 'cloud'.     While Suspiria (Italian 1977) turned up two sites (he chose this film since there is an Amazon studio remake) Angels with Dirty Faces "turn up no results at all'.

(but I don't know why he picked Angels but since it is a WB film that was part of the Turner library there is a connection to the now-gone Filmstruck).

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

L.A. Times today has a front page article in the Business section:   Film buffs worry; Will classics go dark in shift to streaming?   Written by Ryan Faughnder,  it features a large picture of Bogart and Henreid from Casablanca as a scare tacit,  but does say 'Casablanca is likely to endure,  but less famous titles could be harder to find.".

The Times is featuring about one major story per week about the demise of Filmstruck and what that and streaming services could mean to access of studio-era films.

(sorry no link but it can be found at L.A.'s website.)

The danger is that Warner's new streaming service will have a classics section that consists of stuff like the 1989 Batman and Lord of the Rings, with the occasional Bogart title thrown in. Even when there are classics on most streaming services, such as Netflix, they are not located in the classics section and are hard to find.

I think it's very unlikely that 90%+ of the non-Criterion films on Filmstruck will ever be streamed again. Of course, many of those are the same ones that are not available on physical media either. Extras like commentary or interviews will be gone as well.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Angels with Dirty Faces "turn up no results at all'.

(but I don't know why he picked Angels but since it is a WB film that was part of the Turner library there is a connection to the now-gone Filmstruck).

I started two different threads noting that it's been nine years since Angels with Dirty Faces has aired on TCM, which I find very puzzling. Someone will have to tell me if it was ever available on Filmstruck.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:15 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I started two different threads noting that it's been nine years since Angels with Dirty Faces has aired on TCM, which I find very puzzling. Someone will have to tell me if it was ever available on Filmstruck.

Usually WB takes down within days if not hours any film posted on youtube that they have rights to. Yet there is a copy of "Angels with Dirty Faces" on youtube if anybody is interested. It does have Spanish subtitles though. Cagney seems to have several of his films caught in the "Copyright Netherworld" - "Ceiling Zero", "Come Fill The Cup", and maybe this film.

• Thanks 1

Its not exactly the way it should be, but there have been some reports about FilmStruck today. What it sounds like is that the closing will occur as scheduled on the 29th. But next year on the new Warner platform, they will include a FilmStruck element with the Turner library films. But there is no word yet on Criterion, and that WB platform doesn't open for another 12 months or so. (We would have Watch TCM in the interim, provided that isn't closed as well)

To me however, it seems like a grudging, half-hearted move, a cop out. All the pressure from the LA Times, Washington Post, Variety, New York Times, Spielberg, Scorsese, Streisand, DiCaprio, and the lot of them, and this is all they can give us?

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Here's a story about a bunch of Hollywood big names fighting to save Filmstruck

https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/basically-every-famous-director-petitions-to-save-filmstruck.html

I will now wait for the inevitable EricJ post about why all these famous Hollywood people are stupid for doing this.

Well, now you're making me feel guilty, if I don't paste on some "Because they're low-tech Internet-illiterate dolts to still think Change.Org's fanboy site is a Real Thing, and Martin Scorsese isn't going out and starting a more influential big celebrity-activist film-preservation movement himself??"

(I mean, yes, Barbara Streisand never got on the "Warner, release Zack Snyder's uncut Justice League!" bandwagon, but you'd think she'd at least have heard of the site by reputation...Celebrities may or may not be "stupid" for liking Filmstruck in their small amount of spare time, but CHANGE-FREAKIN'-DOT-ORG???????????  You would literally have more luck with one Twitter post.)

Gee, sometimes these discussions can really put posters in a corner...  😯

Two separate letters, obtained by Deadline, have been signed by...., and the one addressed directly to WB Picture Group Chairman Toby Emmerich

...Oh.  Okay--THAT'S how you're supposed to do it.  Whew.  Stupidity temporarily averted.

And while the press will focus on "They're taking away my one source of movies!!" ( 😓) if Marty, or Peter Bogdanovich, or John Landis, or Leonard Maltin, or somebody in the preservation community can get on this, they can hopefully spin the Larger Abstract Issue off of the selfish-grownup "Don't take away my Friday-night thing!", and back onto the larger unspoken corporate issue underneath that's subconsciously triggered so much of the public hysteria in the first place:  Why Vintage Movies Are Vanishing Off of the Rest of Streaming, and if so, Where Are They Playing?

Which is just in time to start taking on the new '18-'19 reality that Digital DRM has now been given up for dead and "replaced" by Streaming's popularity, and how much of a movie-free rival that's now going to be to Physical Media's recovery--DRM was originally going to be the "Disk-crusher", but Streaming is seen as "the new TV", and TV-broadcast movies and Blu/DVD always got along together very well.  We just have to redefine the basic issues out of the ashes.

FilmStruck Might Have Future With WarnerMedia, But It Could Take A Year

"...... Deadline has learned in the aftermath of those postings that Stankey is in fact working on something of a compromise, which he has tipped in a response to the first entreaty by Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese and others.

filmstruck.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop=1
FilmStruk

The promising news is that a new iteration is in the cards for FilmStruck, though it might not be called that. The not good news is that it will be part of a package of streaming services from WarnerMedia that at present is scheduled to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2019. The company is figuring out a way to make it among several branded-content offerings in its OTT service...........

https://deadline.com/2018/11/filmstruck-future-warnermedia-criterion-collection-1202502833/

• Thanks 1

EricJ, I was mostly trying to be tongue-in-cheek. If I genuinely offended, I apologize. You just seem to feel so strongly about this, I couldn't help poking a little fun. But I can see how it might have come across as nasty.

Some other posters had predicted something like this was in the works, that this content would reappear on the Warner streaming services. Some have also expressed dismay that said content has to disappear for a full year.

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

EricJ, I was mostly trying to be tongue-in-cheek. If I genuinely offended, I apologize. You just seem to feel so strongly about this, I couldn't help poking a little fun. But I can see how it might have come across as nasty.

Well, didn't think it was "nasty", just more of the diehard-acolyte "Do not dare blaspheme my god!!" that we've heard from the FilmStruck-dependent, who'd turned a viewing cult into a life-hack cult, and now literally believe this is the End of the World for classic films, period, because they've forgotten where else to find them.

(As I joked in my blog, saying that you don't need FS to watch classic films would often have me attacked by more sword-wielding cultists shouting "Kai-liii!" for my heresy than Ringo Starr ever got...How dare I suggest that they not make themselves better people?)

And if they have forgotten...the slow recovery of the industry from the Death of DRM, and back to a comparative normalcy of film availability again, in places other than Our One Neato Club, is going to take a little longer than we hoped.  So, yeah, it IS a big issue with me.

I've actually never watched Filmstruck. If I want to watch a classic film somewhere besides TCM, Amazon Prime is usually my top source. They have a ton. I don't know how radically their menu is going to change once Warner presumably bars its content from showing anywhere else.

Also, you can find a lot of stuff for free on YouTube. Other corporate entities seem not to care as much about their product on there as Warners, which almost always gets their films yanked off very quickly. I've seen a number of films from Fox, Paramount, Columbia and Universal, and when I check back months later, those films are still on there.

More news:

BECOME A CHARTER SUBSCRIBER

If you loved the adventurous curated programming we’ve been doing with our friends at FilmStruck, we have good news for you. The Criterion Collection team is going to be carrying on with that mission, launching the Criterion Channel as a freestanding streaming service in spring 2019. For more information, read the announcement here.

We’ll be starting from scratch, and we can use all the help we can get. Sign up now to become a Charter Subscriber and you’ll enjoy these benefits:

A 30-day free trial.

A reduced subscription fee for as long as you keep your subscription active. The regular fee will be $10.99 a month or $100 a year, but as a Charter Subscriber you’ll pay $9.99 a month or $89.99 a year.

Concierge customer service from the Criterion Collection, including a customer ID and a special e-mail address.

A holiday gift-certificate present, for use on the Criterion Collection website.

A Charter Subscriber membership card.

The satisfaction of knowing you’re keeping the best of film alive and available.

We’ll contact you with more details about how to activate your service soon.

https://www.criterion.com/channel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, Good News. Criterion has just announced that it will be launching a similar version of FilmStruck/Criterion with its own Criterion Channel, and it is asking all of us who were subscribing to FS/C to join them and also spread the word.  I am greatly relieved!

Here is the link to the announcement and you can sign up ahead of time: https://www.criterion.com/channel

48 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

More news:

BECOME A CHARTER SUBSCRIBER

If you loved the adventurous curated programming we’ve been doing with our friends at FilmStruck, we have good news for you. The Criterion Collection team is going to be carrying on with that mission, launching the Criterion Channel as a freestanding streaming service in spring 2019. For more information, read the announcement here.

We’ll be starting from scratch, and we can use all the help we can get. Sign up now to become a Charter Subscriber and you’ll enjoy these benefits:

A 30-day free trial.

A reduced subscription fee for as long as you keep your subscription active. The regular fee will be $10.99 a month or $100 a year, but as a Charter Subscriber you’ll pay $9.99 a month or $89.99 a year.

Concierge customer service from the Criterion Collection, including a customer ID and a special e-mail address.

A holiday gift-certificate present, for use on the Criterion Collection website.

A Charter Subscriber membership card.

The satisfaction of knowing you’re keeping the best of film alive and available.

We’ll contact you with more details about how to activate your service soon.

https://www.criterion.com/channel

Does the link tell one the extend of the 'collection'?     E.g. 80% of the Warner Bros films form 1930 - 1958 etc...

Thanks