Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FilmStruck/Criterion Channel is being shut down!

20 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Echo...echo...echo...

Heh, heh . . . just saw your original post Lawrence. I was so excited to post the news I didn't bother to check previous posts. But this is news worth repeating, so let's spread the word wherever and whenever we can. 🤓👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does the link tell one the extend of the 'collection'?     E.g. 80% of the Warner Bros films form 1930 - 1958 etc...

Yes, this is from their announcement:

"The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and original documentaries. We will continue with our guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing. Our regular series like Art-House America, Split Screen, and Meet the Filmmakers, and our Ten Minutes or Less section will all live on, along with Tuesday’s Short + Feature and the Friday Night Double Feature, and of course our monthly fifteen-minute film school, Observations on Film Art."

They also mention that some of the same material will be available on the WarnerMedia platform, but you can bet that it won't be curated as well and it will lack the extras and options that come with Criterion.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does the link tell one the extend of the 'collection'?     E.g. 80% of the Warner Bros films form 1930 - 1958 etc...

Thanks

2 minutes ago, macocael said:

Yes, this is from their announcement:

"The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and original documentaries. We will continue with our guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing. Our regular series like Art-House America, Split Screen, and Meet the Filmmakers, and our Ten Minutes or Less section will all live on, along with Tuesday’s Short + Feature and the Friday Night Double Feature, and of course our monthly fifteen-minute film school, Observations on Film Art."

They also mention that some of the same material will be available on the WarnerMedia platform, but you can bet that it won't be curated as well and it will lack the extras and options that come with Criterion.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

I took the announcement to mean that they will be continuing the Criterion Channel side of FilmStruck, but not the classic-Hollywood-film-centric FilmStruck side, which will continue in a greatly altered version on the Warner Media streaming site late next year.

The Criterion Channel has some classic-era studio films, but the emphasis will be just as much or more so on foreign films, arthouse, and indie films.

Which isn't a problem for me, since 90% of what I watched on FilmStruck was from the Criterion side.

• Thanks 2

I think they will have some Hollywood films, most likely the ones they have been granted the temporary streaming rights.

This made my weekend, almost as much as the Filmstruck closure announcement ruined my weekend when that happened. I signed up 30 seconds after I received the email.

I hope that the Warner venture is executed well and they take a lesson from Filmstruck in how to respect their back catalog treasures. 

• Like 2
On 11/5/2018 at 6:02 PM, EricJ said:

And other tech-clueless grownups who think Change.org is an actual site.  :D

Say "PetitionOnline.com" to those of the right generation (say, those who were around in the '99-'00 rise of DVD), and wonder why they suddenly snort their milk and break up into giggles.  There were some genuine online petitions, way back in those rise-of-the-Internet-too days--Amazon briefly hinted at trying it for requested titles--which created the myth that if you signed your name on the Internet, you were Striking a Blow For Change...Until every fanboy took every whiny knee-jerk complaint to PO, and destroyed the myth:  No executives read the Internet, and unless you take the actual step of submitting results to the specific parties, saying "Me too!" turned out to be nothing but an act of angry foot-stomping fanboy-bation, to the point that even THAT became a hilarious fan-baiting punchline.  And which PO soon infamously became after the N-00th "Petition for George Lucas to release that original Theatrical Cut of Star Wars he's been hiding!"

PetitionOnline isn't around anymore, and Change.org IS.  And those of the right age still snicker, snort milk, and wave off to those other folk who wonder why, every time someone says "This is an insult to the fans!...I'm starting a petition on CHANGE.ORG!"  

(Now, if they'd tried addressing snail-mail letters directly to Warner, Warner management might have a more direct view of customer response...)

well, in this case the petition on Change.org did in fact help get the ball rolling, according to this article in Hollywood Reporter: "When Turner and Warner Bros Digital Networks revealed the plan to shutter FilmStruck on Oct. 26, many filmmakers took to Twitter to express their dismay and signed a “Keep FilmStruck Alive” Change.org petition, currently at more than 55,000 signatures. Edgar Wright did too, but he also emailed Steven Spielberg, for whom he had co-written the Adventures of Tintin screenplay."  

I admit, I am equally skeptical about online petitions; I always tell people it is no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and doing the necessary work. And it took the concerted efforts of a bunch of directors and industry workers to make it all count.  But such petitions can still form part of an effective plan if used in concert with other types of  pressure. At the very least it provides a record of the popular will on any given matter.  This time around, it seemed to matter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/filmstruck-campaign-save-classic-movie-service-gets-small-victory-1162149?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR+Breaking+News_now_2018-11-16+12%3A48%3A00_ehayden&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews&fbclid=IwAR1DuwRqBLzFpxUpmB0Bs2TFiwIzL7qhbtjtTJAJEjnoCwlH0pKF2YR5lag

31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

took the announcement to mean that they will be continuing the Criterion Channel side of FilmStruck, but not the classic-Hollywood-film-centric FilmStruck side, which will continue in a greatly altered version on the Warner Media streaming site late next year.

Well, the announcement states explicitly that "Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and original documentaries" — so those same Director spotlights and actor retrospectives with major Hollywood films will be part of the mix.

1 hour ago, macocael said:

well, in this case the petition on Change.org did in fact help get the ball rolling, according to this article in Hollywood Reporter: "When Turner and Warner Bros Digital Networks revealed the plan to shutter FilmStruck on Oct. 26, many filmmakers took to Twitter to express their dismay and signed a “Keep FilmStruck Alive” Change.org petition, currently at more than 55,000 signatures. Edgar Wright did too, but he also emailed Steven Spielberg, for whom he had co-written the Adventures of Tintin screenplay."  

Emphasis highlighted.

Have to remember, back in '99, the Internet was JUST catching mainstream fire, and everyone thought it was magic--That was also the time that the rise of DVD had its boom, so most of PetitionOnline's petitions were against studios that weren't keeping up or "holding back" their titles.  Most notably George Lucas (still infamous for being a DiVX supporter) who was "holding back" Phantom Menace on DVD, because, as we later found out, he was finishing the deleted-scenes CGI, but at least two dozen Star Wars-fanboy petitions accused him of "hiding" it.  Meanwhile, Warner wasn't enthusiastic about widescreen or plastic DVD cases, and was deluged with petitions about every one of their titles.  Amazon was just starting to become a Thing, too, and when they had placeholder listings for disks that weren't available, their description teased "Let us know if you want this title, and we'll pass the info along!"  Fans started taking them WAYYYY too seriously at their word, and Amazon rephrased that to "We don't know when or if it'll be available."

And then, in '99, we had the one big event that put Petitions on the map:  Disney had flopped with their ill-fated theatrical release of Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke", and was looking for an excuse to drop their deal for releasing the titles in the US.  They released a bare-bones dub-only release of the disk (also, as was later revealed, to block "Reverse importation", since Japan didn't have a DVD of their own yet)...And because everything late-90's Eisner-era Disney did was Evil, fans besieged them with Petitions to release the dual-language version.  Disney--hoping to generate numbers to "prove" it was all a big fanboy-tantrum without mainstream appeal and discredit it--agreed to a snail-mail petition, written directly to a specific studio representative, from customers who were committed to buying a bilingual version if it was released.  It became a big thing around the anime and disk communities, and according to the guy who delivered the results, the representative had been expecting 500 letters, and was surprised to get 5000...In the first box.  "Oh, and there's nine more in the car."

So:  Ever since, for twenty years, the myth has been created that Internet Petitions work.  Despite the fact that the only one that ever did was by snail-mail, sanctioned by the company/recipient itself, had a set thirty-day beginning and ending date to deliver results--in person--and was over a specific stated goal.  Both PO and Change.Org tend to overlook details like that, which is why the Famous-People's-Letters one seems to be achieving more tangible results with Warner at the moment.

As for Criterion's channel, think they had that in the works for their own survival before the Save Filmstruck movement started, so if Warner gives in, Criterion may go back to seeing the advantage of not throwing money after their own startup.  All announcements subject to change.

On this last day of Filmstruck, I have filled my Netflix queue with everything that is available on their DVD/Blu-ray service.

I will be at work during the day when the service will probably be shut off. I don't think they used midnight expiration dates for their content

I discovered a film by Mikio Naruse called Repast starring the lovely and superb actress Setsuko Hara. If there is time to watch, I recommend it.

Last night I finished off the Harold Lloyd collection, which I have been watching in chronological order since the closure was announced. I had missed the Harold Lloyd tributes that TCM did in the last year, so I am glad I was able to watch all of them in one place.

I've come to depend on Filmstruck, it was like a comforting old friend. I will miss it.

MV5BOGJmYjc1NDYtMThiZS00YWJhLWFkOWYtODRi

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
On 11/29/2018 at 12:22 PM, RBG FAN said:

I do hope the streaming service coming (a year from now!!!) from Warner, also includes classic TV.

They announced a three-tier service.

1: Basic movie package

2: Premium content

3: Classic

So you will have to buy Warner's all-inclusive streaming service at full price, and then pay additional for access to their vault.

• Sad 1
38 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

My overall goal is to boycott as much AT&T as possible. I have read where Dish satellite and Sling TV streaming stopped providing HBO. AT&T wants to be guaranteed payment for a specific number of subscribers.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-watch-hbo-after-sling-tv-dish-dropped-the-channel/

Give AT&T time, and they will destroy TCM too.

And now they reportedly want out of their partnership in HuluPlus--
I'm already watching the vultures circling over that service, and have already started cleaning off my queue to drop next month--I suspect the service may not live to see '20.

But at least FilmStruck left with a present, to placate all the "End of the world for classic films!" fans:

I'd only subscribed for the free introductory month, on the tablet, way back when it was still just a Criterion service, and just today opened my e-mail to get a bonus code for 5 free digital-library movies on Movies Anywhere.  (Which would normally have been Ultraviolet, before Warner saw their Flixster service go down the drain.)

Robin Hood, Casablanca, King Kong, Singin' in the Rain, and the Judy Garland "Star is Born"--The Five Classic Movies (apart from Wizard of Oz) that Warner thinks they can sell to "real" people anymore outside of the Archive.

That now brings my "digital library" up to 50, twenty of which I've redeemed free from Blu-ray disks, and only one of the other thirty that I've ever paid for in my life.   :D

I haven't read this entire thread so this may not be new news ...

Criterion Channel set to launch in spring 2019

November 17, 2018 

criterion.jpgGood news for those lamenting that Filmstruck will be going dark on November 29 there is good news to report.

The Criterion Collection team has decided to carry on and launch  the Criterion Channel as a freestanding streaming service in spring 2019.

The new service will be wholly owned and controlled by the Criterion Collection.

"The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like  Read the rest of this entry »

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I haven't read this entire thread so this may not be new news ...

Criterion Channel set to launch in spring 2019

November 17, 2018 

criterion.jpgGood news for those lamenting that Filmstruck will be going dark on November 29 there is good news to report.

The Criterion Collection team has decided to carry on and launch  the Criterion Channel as a freestanding streaming service in spring 2019.

The new service will be wholly owned and controlled by the Criterion Collection.

"The Criterion Channel will be picking up where the old service left off, programming director spotlights and actor retrospectives featuring major Hollywood and international classics and hard-to-find discoveries from around the world, complete with special features like  Read the rest of this entry »

I did see this.  Right now (I think it's still going on) they have a deal where if you sign up now, you'll be classified as a "Charter Member" and you'll pay a discounted price from the regular subscription price.

https://www.criterion.com/channel

I don't think I'll sign up, because I can obtain all the Criterion films I want through the library and the library's Kanopy streaming service, which also has Criterion.  For those who are interested in more of the foreign films and independent art house type fare, this may be a great service.  I'll admit that my experience with foreign film is very slim.  I kind of dabble in it occasionally.  I have seen Amelie and M.  I have all the intent to start seeing some, perhaps some of the classic French or Italian ones to start with.  But I have to get myself psyched up to watch them.  I think I have a few recorded (Diabolique, La Notte, Marriage Italian Style, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and Yesterday Today and Tomorrow). 

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I did see this.  Right now (I think it's still going on) they have a deal where if you sign up now, you'll be classified as a "Charter Member" and you'll pay a discounted price from the regular subscription price.

How long does the discount last, a few months?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

How long does the discount last, a few months?

"A reduced subscription fee for as long as you keep your subscription active. The regular fee will be $10.99 a month or $100 a year, but as a Charter Subscriber you’ll pay $9.99 a month or $89.99 a year."

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

"A reduced subscription fee for as long as you keep your subscription active. The regular fee will be $10.99 a month or $100 a year, but as a Charter Subscriber you’ll pay $9.99 a month or $89.99 a year."

Thanks for the info. It's very much appreciated!

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

https://www.criterion.com/channel

I don't think I'll sign up, because I can obtain all the Criterion films I want through the library and the library's Kanopy streaming service, which also has Criterion.  For those who are interested in more of the foreign films and independent art house type fare, this may be a great service.  I'll admit that my experience with foreign film is very slim.  I kind of dabble in it occasionally.  I have seen Amelie and M.  I have all the intent to start seeing some, perhaps some of the classic French or Italian ones to start with.  But I have to get myself psyched up to watch them.  I think I have a few recorded (Diabolique, La Notte, Marriage Italian Style, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and Yesterday Today and Tomorrow). 

If it maintains the type of selection available on FilmStruck, then there will be dozens of films that are not currently on disc from Criterion. However, they do lean heavily toward foreign and arthouse.

4 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

I do not favor this form of marketing. Makes them look a little shady. Almost looks like they need advanced payment or they might not survive. 

Interesting point of view. I wonder if others agree.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If it maintains the type of selection available on FilmStruck, then there will be dozens of films that are not currently on disc from Criterion. However, they do lean heavily toward foreign and arthouse.

It says on their actual site that their library will also be available on the Warner Media platform that launches next year.  Not sure if that means that Criterion subscribers will have access to Warner Media and vice versa? 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

I do not favor this form of marketing. Makes them look a little shady. Almost looks like they need advanced payment or they might not survive. 

I took it as Criterion starting from scratch and needing to offer some sort of incentive to attract subscribers.  On their site, they appeal to the former FilmStruck members to join their service.  They need to be able to develop a sizeable enough group of subscribers so that they can afford to offer and run the service.  Presumably, they will probably need to develop whatever software they'd need for the streaming service and probably hire people to support and maintain the service.  I don't know if there are copyright issues that come into play with streaming the films, or whether that is was all covered when Criterion got the rights to the film in the first place.

I can understand their need to try and build up a group of subscribers before putting together the service.  If nobody signs up, even under a discounted rate (along with the other perks that come along with being a "charter" member, as described on their site), then would they even bother releasing the streaming service? This may be a way for them to also test the waters to see if there is a demand for this service.  Because in the end, this is yet another streaming service that someone has to subscribe to. People are trying to cut the cord to save money, but if they have to sign up for 5 different services to attain all the programming they desire, they may end up paying the same or more than they did when they had cable/satellite. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

I would not pay for Criterion if it was not a suitable replacement for TCM. I would switch from cable to Dish before going streaming all the way. The nightmares Lorna mentioned with Spectrum (Charter Cable) happen with some of the streaming companies.

Yes.  Streaming uses some of the same pipework as digital Cable TV, so you are bound to experience some of the same problems.  There are some differences, such as the Cable TV being run through a private network (not the public Internet), though that even has its issues in some areas with network congestion.  Streaming, on the other hand, combines parts of your private Cable co network, and then of course everything else in-between and along the way to the destination (the streaming service you connect to), and their service provider.  So if it isn't acting up right now, it is only a matter of time until a critical mass of others join up and/or try to use it all at the same time.

Digital Cable TV "is" streaming, just the same as Soylent Green "is" people.  :o

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, RBG FAN said:

I do not disconnect cable because I am okay with paying for what I get. Costs about $140/month for TV and Internet with Xfinity/Comcast.

This seems like a steep price. Is this what most people are paying?